Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

When I exit, Steam thinks the game is still running

Hi,

When I exit the game, steam shows that Wurm Unlimited is still running. This prevents me from being able to start up the game again. It also prevents me from exiting steam. My current "fix" is to shut steam down through the task manager by ending the task and then reloading steam which seems to work. I have checked carefully through the task manager and there is nothing there that indicates that WU is still running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Griphyth

Edited by McGarnicle

I know for Wurm Online the processes I look for and crash in task manager are:

jp2launcher.exe - The Wurm Launcher
javaws.exe - Java Web

Wurm Online crashes for me too and guess Wurm Unlimited has the same processes.  Not sure though, never played WU.  Hope this helps.

My preference would be to solve the issue outright rather than have to go into task manager and end processes. I will look for those though to see if it works.

I feel you on that.  Just only way I've gotten around WO staying crashed for me.  I wrote a batch script I just run after I close WO for the night to make sure it's closed.

kill-wurm.bat

-----------------------

@ECHO OFF
taskkill /IM jp2launcher.exe /F
taskkill /IM javaws.exe /F
PAUSE

-----------------------

I put a pause in there to see if something was closed or not.

Just trying to give a work around, but a fix would be better. :)

"I've checked carefully through the task manager and there is nothing there that indicates that WU is still running."

I have had it before showing me as still ingame in Wurm, on Steam friends list. My daughter -- and Google -- say this is quite common with certain  Steam games.  More examples HERE.  Apparently has to do with running Steam Overlay and not with hanging processes in task manager. So, it sounds like disabling the Overlay might solve this for you.  In the Steam version of WU, it does not use the javaws.exe type files, it only uses WurmLauncher.exe which seems to close for me.

However, there is a way to run multiple clients in WU, which is what I always do anyway, which is maybe why I have not cared too much:

I call it the "Bdew Method" since it was BDew who first posted it on the forums here. WIO devs later said it was fine to do this.

Basically you want to copy over the file steam_appid.txt (just copy and paste the file directly, it's easier than using notepad to create multiple copies - I forget the folder with the original might be WurmServerlauncher) so that it is also in the Wurmlauncher folder.

It can be picky about where you launch the shortcut from -- I can launcher multiple clients if the shortcut is on the Start Menu, but not if the shortcut is on the taskbar. I think you have to launch it from the Wurmlauncher.exe and not from Steam library.

I often run 2-3 clients. About once in every 10-20 tries I get some hanging issue but usually it works.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors