Sign in to follow this  
RavenLure

Java ... and surging

it is weird my computer is working over time at times and I am just imping and it keep surging.. I looked at my processes and java of course is a piggy. but it keeps bouncing up and down in % and my computer I hear is surging along with the rise and fall of the java usage.. sometimes it is not bad but today it is terrible.. is wurm at some point not going to rely on java lol

I am curious what you mean by the word, "surging". Are your fans suddenly getting ultra loud? Are the hard drives doing extra loud spinning and grinding?  Has it been especially hot in whatever part of the world you live in, which could cause your computer's cooling system to go into overdrive?  When you mention java percentage, is that memory or CPU usage?  Could your antivirus be suddenly scanning hard drives, or windows update doing some of its background stealth downloads (Windows Update actually likes to do just that ... which can wreck havoc if you are gaming)  How much percentage CPU or memory is java using, and what CPU and memory does your system have? Does turning down the settings change anything? Not sure why imping would cause java to "surge".

Are you mostly playing on Xanadu? (Wurm seems to stumble REALLY hard on two things: great big maps like Xanadu, and lots of travelling -- though you mention just imping at the forge so that rules out traveling.)  I am told Xanadu lag issues have been pretty severe at times, but even when I was running 2017 Wurm on a ten year old computer that I built to run Oblivion back in 2006, I don't ever recall it being especially hard on my computer system , though I did turn a lot of settings down to make it run smoothly.  But nothing I would call "surging". (finally upgraded with new hardware parts this summer, yay)

I very much doubt that Wurm will ever NOT run on Java, based on developer replies when the question comes up sporadically. A lot of people seem to think an easy fix for Wurm is just to port it to Unity or something, but i actually use less system resources in Wurm than I do for most other games I play, and especially less resources than I use in Unity based games.

Plus, porting the game to Unity or another engine would mean: server wipe, everyone's settlements have to be rebuilt from, scratch, no classic Wurm-style terraforming. You pretty much have to start everyone on a fresh server, and that would likely drive off forever some of the few remaining loyal players. Well, I am not sure actually if server and clients both need to be on the same platform. One of the Wurm programmers has to address that.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Well I am in air conditioning.. and the computer is grinding working harder the normal...java percentage right now is 3.3 % to  3.9 it is the using the most memory of all the process..that is listed..but right now it my computer is not grinding but I only noticed it with wurm running.. shrugs...but it is still using the most..

Well, I was hoping that it would not run on java one day , and I know it would not be an easy fix..  it would take re writing every thing in wurm.. etc..would be a whole difernt gaming system.

Are you able to confirm whether the noise comes from:

• hard drive
  • power supply (don't touch!)
  • fans (and which fans)
  • GPU 

"Grinding" to me sounds like serious hard drive activity.

3.3% is very little memory. In fact that seems impossibly low. However java -should- be using the most of any running processes -- I would be more concerned if anything else was even close to as high.

Normal usage might be anywhere from 700MB to 3GB per client depending on what graphical settings you use. The more memory you have total, the more it is likely to be using.

If the hard drives are grinding this should not be related to memory usage unless it is needing to constantly swap data from active memory (RAM) to the hard drives.

That seems unlikely if it is only 3.3% usage. Even then, an actual grinding noise might indicate an impending hard drive failure.

Hopefully it is .. well, whrrring and not grinding. But even that is concerning. This may not be it, but I would certainly want to rule it out IMMEDIATELY as an issue.

If it started recently and is getting more consistent with passing time, you may have very little time to save your hard drive data.

Identifying and troubleshooting hard drive noise issues

Is That Grinding Sound the Death of My Hard Drive?

Hard drive grinding noise?

Normal sounds include:

1. Whining noise during drive spin-up.
  2. Regular clicking or tapping sounds during drive access.
  3. Hard clicks when the drive heads park during power saving modes like Standby or Hibernation.

Abnormal noises include:

1. High-pitched whining sound can be an indication of abnormal function.
  2. Noises can be caused by mounting issues. This is due to either a high frequency vibration in the mounting hardware, or a potential drive failure.
  3. Repeated, regular tapping, grinding or beeping.
  4. External (especially USB-only) drive clicking or beeping at time of connection, often accompanied by non-detection problems.
  5.   Some failure mechanisms may make a regular repeating beep from the computer's internal speaker. This may or not be hard drive related.
  6. Two hard clicks at start up and then a boot error message or system shutdown is a symptom of a failed drive.   

***This is likely not related to Wurm or to Java, though you might be getting it more often if Wurm is constantly trying to access a dying hard drive.

Especially if you play Wurm a LOT (as all wurm players do). It would likely be occurring with any game that places semi serious demands on system resources.

IF YOU RULE OUT An IMPENDING HARD DRIVE FAILURE, then I would next want to investigate whether background services are doing an unusual amount of accessing of the drive. 

As I mentioned, Windows Update, Antivirus file checking are the usual culprits, though its possible that file indexing might do it too.

Another important thing to rule out is possible malware issues if someone is trying to access/control some functions of the computer. 

it's also possible to happen more often if you are sharing a network with other people in your house/dorm and all the computers are networked together.

Can I also get the specs of your computer. it might be a different issue for a more lightweight computer, than for a heavy gaming system with beefy GPU/PSU/HDD.

For instance, if you have a  geforce GT 240 or 730 (quite acceptable but still pretty  lightweight cards), I'd expect it to kick up into heavy usage with lots of fans even in an airconditioned room and low settings.

Cards like that weren't intended for gaming even though they can function fine as budget gaming cards -- it just means they need to work harder, which could cause a feeling of "surging". 

• Like 2

64 bit with a 64 bit proccessor  16 GB

Intel core i7 6700 cpu  3.40 GHz 3.41 GHz

Nvidia Gforce GTX 750ti

Maybe it is a whinning it doe snot happen al lthe time like for days it was quiet. I log in to day and I hear it..I try to have al lthe scans done manually

That's a nice system for Wurm.    It should be using more than 3.3% ram for Java,   I think for a 16GB system that 3% is only like 500MB of ram.  Again anything from 700MB to 3gigs is a normal range for java when Wurm is running, depending on settings and how many clients. Systems like yours with more than average RAM tend to also use more ram, only because the system is capable of holding more data in memory.  Same goes for browser memory usage -- browsers tend to use much more ram on systems with lots of ram.

If it is only an occasional noise, and more of a "whrring" than a grinding, it is probably either normal hard drive disk spinning on as files are accessed, or it may be normal fans.  Most fans have something like a "low medium high" setting and they might just be kicking up to HIGH anytime you run games, which makes it seem the computer is "surging."   Even though the room is air conditioned,  inside of the computer can get very very hot and need to power up the fans as the system gets "pushed" to heavier use, especially the level of GPU/CPU spinning.

If you want to check temperatures of things like CPU and GPU, a real easy small freeware program is Hardware Monitor made by the CPU-Z people:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

The Hardware Monitor can run in the task bar and let you see the current, minum and maximum temps reached. This way you can at least confirm whether there is any coorelation between the "whrrring" noise and the cpu/gpu tempetratures.  If it -is- just fans (and it would be good to know for sure, just to not worry anymore about it)   you can set the fans to use a lower setting except when things get really hot (I prefer a LOUD and cool computer, to a warm and quiet one, but a lot of people  find the noise distracting). As long as the system is not overheating it may not need the fans running at full throttle even under heavy use.

Usually for components like CPU/GPU, anything from 40C to 70C is considered somewhat normal, but fans will kick on the higher it gets. Most modern CPUs will "throttle down" if they start running too hot, which gives you less use of them but protects them from permanent heat damage. Some people want their systems always running well under 50C even at full load, because higher temperatures generally mean electronic components wear out that much faster. 

Again, I don't think java is actually related to the computer "surging", as it actually uses a lot less resources than the Unity engine games I run. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the explanations.. Makes me feel a bit better and I will try that software