Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

More precise turning when riding vehicle

We all know this.

Riding vehicle on long road, autorunning. You try to set it to the center of the road, but minimal degree of turning make it difficult to set ideally. So in time, if you do not correct direction, you gonna drive from the road.

More precise turning would allow to set direction with better accuracy.

• Like 9

+1 for this, hate having to correct steerage on roads and it always seems to over correct.

• Like 1

Made a suggestion to right click compass and choose something like "Align north" or whatever to head straight on a long road. This is nice too though

+1

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Made a suggestion to right click compass and choose something like "Align north" or whatever to head straight on a long road. This is nice too though

+1

This. Great idea!

Heard a while back the difficulty was on purpose as Rolf wanted to avoid afk travel?  Might have just been a rumor.

Yes because the mountains, deeds, terrains, etc are not enough to keep people engaged. I think if I manage to go anywhere with my cart for more than a minute without bumping into something I'd get an achievement. 

I think its just a design limitation, if anything.

When I watch old westerns those on carts or wagons are constantly moving the reins to adjust the direction.  I use wagons and carts a lot and I am ok with the current driving ability.  So not a +1 not a-1, just a bit of a 'meh.

Edited by Dorian
spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dorian said:

When I watch old westerns those on carts or wagons are constantly moving the reins to adjust the direction.  I use wagons and carts a lot and I am ok with the current driving ability.  So not a +1 not a-1, just a bit of a 'meh.

But we don't need to adjust reins or horses in wurm. They are going straight like a bullet.

Problem is, we cannot adjust direction precisely.

+1
We need a center-forward key
align it toward the closest N E S or W that we are facing

+1, This is my #1 a headache with Wurm right now.

Old post I made asking for the same thing.

Also, based on what I've seen in WU code, the purpose of the turning mechanics is to provide a fast turn time at first and reduce that turn rate the longer the player holds down the key. It turns 3 degrees at first, then 2, and finally 1.  The purpose was to make turning more responsive at first. I'm positive it had nothing to do with intentionally trying to prevent people from afk traveling.

Edited by joedobo

would be nice and see a more useful use to compass with Yiraia's idea. also ql of compass could matter for how much off course you could be? (this is wurm after all, cant have it too easy) something like under 50 risk getting you off course a little

35 minutes ago, Hula_Girl said:

-1, this would make more people to lock autoride and alt+tab.

Now we also lock and alt-tab, just need to alt-tab back few more times.

Besides, not everywhere you have long straight roads.

Edited by Wilczan

+1 and also let us utilize the highway system for *some* sort of convenient travel already.

I guess it's relatively easy to setup X(move_forward) or whatever key for running forward as action..(take the action into account not the keybind),

and use an angle(*or mid 30% of the tile on 1(or 3) tile road, border of a 2 tile road?).. as long you're relatively well with centering the cart to face the mid of the tile.. to use a balance of some angle degree say 30% of the mid of the tile.. to force the cart to use that as travel path and auto-correct with that... no idea how server feeds data in the client.. but as long client have all it needs for the terrain.. could do the math on client side for this movement.. making it stress-free for the server, pointless to calculate your path serverside LUL :D 

Certainly.. code is ~there already.. with the highway system and delivery wagons doing ~exactly this kind of movement as npc. 🤔

Unhitch the horses, rotate the cart/wagon so it's straight, hitch horses, embark, press x, profit. Even with more precise turning it wouldn't be easy to get it perfectly straight, but +1 anyway

it would tho, ignoring diagonal... `straight` is either due North, East, South or West.
all that has to be done is a function to turn the vehicle to a cardinal direction then it'd be perfectly straight.

• Like 3