Sign in to follow this  
CopalHeart

How to track difference between WU and WO

Hi all! A few of us are planning to get Wurm unlimited, but we are a bit confused about the differences between WU and WO. We know they are "mostly" similar, but we couldn't find a clear breakdown on what is different from online and unlimited. I know the wiki is designated specifically to WO, which is great, but I'm not aware of anything that can help us see what is actually in WU. Does that resource exist? We're primarily concerned about their being different items or skills or something like that that's a staple of the wiki.

Edited by CopalHeart

That's hard to explain.

Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited are exactly the same except a couple of things that are keep from WU do to try and separate the 2. This is to try and make WO look more appealing to play.

What WO has that WU don't.

1. Rift events. Unless a moder mods this stuff in on a WU server this is not in WU.
  2. Highway system which is a protection system looks but not fully confirmed a WO only thing. function to protect roads from being destroyed by others.
  • Most all WU servers hosted by people like me don't charge for silver we make ways for you to earn in game taking away the having to spend real life money on fictional objects.
  • a Ton are modded with different types of mods changing the aspect of wurm.

That's the difference.

You want to know more you need to look in the WU section under mods on these forums you will find more about the mods and check the pve,pvp server section set up for WU you can read up on servers people host or you can just host your own server your rules.

I will show you what is different on my WU server that is not on WO. I don't mod it to take away the full WO experience but I mod it to add to the experience so want be a lot of baby candy I like to call it. Baby candy means = the dumb down making super quick and easy.

Check out others server post as well in case mine don't look appealing to you there are a good number of us who have had WU servers running since the launch of WU. We are WU fans who played WO for years and when WU came along we wanted to have our Wurm our way.

• Like 2

Hi Arkonick, Thank you for all the information. With modding that makes a lot of sense, I imagine tracking all the differences would be nightmarish. I think we were primarily looking to see if new items get added to WO, they will (generally) get added to WU, which seems to be the case. I've earmarked your recommended thread for reading and it's been very helpful to me and makes it easier for me to wrap my head around. Thanks!

yes WU gets all most every thing WO gets some systems will not be but they would be special systems to try and make players want to play WO rather than WU but we get pritty much every thing WO gets.

Stuff like the highway system and the rifts we get the assets so we can do what we want moding with them but them 2 specific things are WO exclusive but we do get there assets and can try and remake there stuff they do with them on WO or we can make our own up.

In general we get all assets just not the methods and systems for them special WO events.

The main difference I would say is that WO is timer based, and WU is successbased, when it comes to skilling.

In WO we grind skills in a different way and on different items to gain skill.

In WU you can grind weapon smithing by spawning arrow heads and blacksmithing by making nails,

but in WO you need to actually get long timers and improve the items to get good skillgain.

Here what ql a tool we use matter way more because of that. We have slow skiller tools of low ql for skillgain and fast tools of high ql to get max ql on the outcome.

This difference I belive was done to prevent cheaters from, via the open WU code, finding ways to cheat.

There is also code in WO that aims at finding macro users and this apparently was not included in WU for same reason.

Edited by Cecci
added "and improve the items"
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, CopalHeart said:

we are a bit confused about the differences between WU and WO

The Public Servers in WU offer different rates of skill gain and action timers according to the Server owners own desires; thus there is a vast range in these as generally noted in their Wurm Unlimited Server listings section here. Some are the standard 1x skill/action gain timers all the way up to 100x. This means that in this respect there is a vast choice available in contrast to WO's 1x skill/actions. There is no "right or wrong" approach making one server better than the next but rather it is all up to players choice. You can even make your own Private Server setting these options to whatever you choose and invite only friends to play on it if hosted somewhere.

The Developers first bring new features to WO which are then delayed from being available in WU until they get around to it. So patience is required before they become available in WU. Then some Server owners use various mods which are not available in WO at all. These can be seen on the WU Server listings, as well as in the WO mod forum section. Also the WU Servers generally have their own custom maps (landmasses) distinct from one another and WO.

Of course the Server owners can discontinue them at any time without notice, which can be disappointing if one gets too attached to them or the work accomplished there. This is probably the major drawback in contrast with WO where the various Servers will continue on as long as the game lasts.

=Ayes=

As Ayes mentioned besides different servers running different mods, skill rate gains / action timers is one of the biggest differences among the many WU servers out there. Most of the more active servers either have details about what's different about their server on a recruiting thread here on the official forums, in steam on the game's discussion pages section for servers, or on their own websites (or a combination of them all).

One of the biggest differences you'll notice if playing on your own server, or a server hosted by another player that only has it up at certain times, time doesn't pass when the server is shut down so no decay, crop growth, tree growth, grass growth, or animal growth during that time. Comes in handy on a private server if you don't play for a while you can just resume when you come back instead of making stuff all over again. However it is a pain for breeding animals since they won't get any closer to breeding age, or if pregnant, to giving birth when you have it shut down.

And another thing, in WU you can "Plant" a Range Pole to plan a bridge, while back in WO you need another player to hold it instead.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:55 PM, Cadh20000 said:

time doesn't pass when the server is shut down so no decay, crop growth, tree growth, grass growth, or animal growth during that time

Some things are not dependent on the server running. Decay for example is timestamp based, so even if your server is offline for 6 months once it starts up and the decay ticks run, it'll notice that 6 months of decay needs to be applied. Basically any entity with a last maintained timestamp will be impacted by this.

Also there are client mods - some considered as cheats by some, so playfield can be uneven for PVP. Although there are quite a few  stable, long running and populated WU servers, you need carefully check the history of the server you choose if you plan to stay for a long time.

WO and WU are mainly different flavour games of common roots - both has its pros and cons to me, I keep playing and enjoying both.