Sign in to follow this  
puncher

A Grand Farewell

[19:56:32] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of the Wurm, week 2 of the starfall of Dancers, 993. That's 3151 days, 7 hours and 31 minutes ago. 

Ah so long ago a young Puncher with a scratchy beard and passion for gaming stepped through them gates.  Off we went in seek of skills and adventure and fun.

Over the years with on and off spurts we watched slow development cycles often years late become probable.  Bridges.  Multi level buildings. Horses. Wagons. etc etc etc

The list of things that have been added has been nice to see and has added depth and flavor to the game.

The things the drove me mad were.  Xanadu lag and losing your ship crossing boarders with everything on it.  Inventory doing strange things and people doing dumb stuff to grief you.

Alliance drama ( i have real mental scars over that) and watching those you play with slip away into the deep world of other games never to return.

Xanadu is a shadow of its former self. I can ride for hours and see not a soul.

The lag still sucks heck i got kicked off 2x trying to give my stuff to a friend.

And the release of Wurm Unlimited just devastated the player base around where i was. 

So im done.  Maybe they can refocus on a good tutorial one of these years to help new people stay.  I am not hopeful at all about that.

TO those I knew goodbye.  To those I did not know goodbye. 

Goodbye.

• Like 2

There's a saying with computer programming: If you fix one thing, you break two more. That's the problem with any game, everything is connected to everything else. No matter how careful you are in adding things to this game, something is going to be affected/broken/bugged by it. These things take time to fix, especially if you don't want a domino effect of broken things.

As for the lack of players, Wurm was never destined to be one of those games that millions of players would flock to nor do I think it ever was intended to be. The player base on all MMOs drops after the novelty wears off. If it didn't, nobody would bother creating anything new to tempt players.

I've been a player off and on for quite awhile now, though not as long as you have: [21:53:53] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Awakening, week 3 of the starfall of Omens, 1020. That's 2000 days, 9 hours and 43 minutes ago. I've seen a lot of changes, some good some not so good, but I don't think I've ever said, even to myself, that I'm not going to play this game anymore unless things change. If you really loved the game, and not just looking for a reason to quit, you'd stick around and keep hounding the Devs for changes. They do pay attention and do make changes, even if we don't always understand why the changes don't come quicker.

To be honest, though, I've seen dozens of these "I'm done, I quit!" posts over the years and, for the most part, the poster comes back. So...*waves good-bye for now*

• Like 4

My hope is exit posts like this bring some attention to the issues we have and that maybe something is done. Good luck and have fun wherever you go mate, Wurm is always waiting.

• Like 2

The crashing you experience might be something fixable by changing settings, I went to the technical assistance forum for a fix and since had no problems with crashing.

7 hours ago, Markcrow said:

There's a saying with computer programming: If you fix one thing, you break two more. That's the problem with any game, everything is connected to everything else. No matter how careful you are in adding things to this game, something is going to be affected/broken/bugged by it. These things take time to fix, especially if you don't want a domino effect of broken things.

As for the lack of players, Wurm was never destined to be one of those games that millions of players would flock to nor do I think it ever was intended to be. The player base on all MMOs drops after the novelty wears off. If it didn't, nobody would bother creating anything new to tempt players.

I've been a player off and on for quite awhile now, though not as long as you have: [21:53:53] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Awakening, week 3 of the starfall of Omens, 1020. That's 2000 days, 9 hours and 43 minutes ago. I've seen a lot of changes, some good some not so good, but I don't think I've ever said, even to myself, that I'm not going to play this game anymore unless things change. If you really loved the game, and not just looking for a reason to quit, you'd stick around and keep hounding the Devs for changes. They do pay attention and do make changes, even if we don't always understand why the changes don't come quicker.

To be honest, though, I've seen dozens of these "I'm done, I quit!" posts over the years and, for the most part, the poster comes back. So...*waves good-bye for now*

I personally think people are believing too much in the " they will be back ", that was the case in the past but moreso than not people are not returning, or so says my friends list if look at the days since last logged on, not stirring the pot but the excuses of a small team, niche game, give the game time etc. has been used far too often.

• Like 2

Good luck friend, you will not be alone in this decision I am sure. I expect many more posts like this in the near future.

• Like 2

There is a strong feeling among many that wurm is in its twilight.  The low Xanadu population is noticeable (I rarely see anyone in local when I travel to rifts) and adds to this feeling.

Until WO offers a similar price to WU?  It will not improve.

This game has the correct player base now, but when you try to spread it across 12 maps (13 if you count GV) you won't have enough jelly for your toast. 

• Like 7

Wurm should have one pve map indy sized. One pvp map indy sized. The population is just to spread out and more and more people will quit for other games. Maybe a re-launch of wurm with two new maps and features might help, maybe not. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baramor said:

Wurm should have one pve map indy sized. One pvp map indy sized. The population is just to spread out and more and more people will quit for other games. Maybe a re-launch of wurm with two new maps and features might help, maybe not. 

Queue the "no, unless I get a reimbursement for the amount of materials I used for all of my deeds" posts. :ph34r:

Resets won't work, but perhaps culling some of the very underpopulated servers might, with the option for rather generous reimbursements to those effected.

• Like 4

An in between option might be to turn off the ability to put down a new deed on many of the existing servers and allow new deeds only on one or two. With time that server fills up and then move to the next one.

• Like 1

The unfortunate double whammy of creating Xanadu then releasing WU left Wurm's population density dangerously low.

• Like 1

I've experienced some lag in xanadu, but never enough to actually log me off. I live in the USA, East, and have a very good connection to the game all day around.. I also play about 10+ hours a day, if I was getting disconnected even once a day I'd probably consider leaving too. Sadly we do not share this experience. I hope wherever you end up keeps you happy :3

As for Wurm Unlimited, If I had not tried that first I would of probably never even tried WO at all. I have no regrets. I've always disliked private servers or user generated servers that are too likely to vanish from one day to another or oppressing GMs and server hosters.

What I think has made Wurm Unlimited such a nice outlet for people to leave WO over is the fact that things get implemented faster, usually by smaller teams.. in most cases teams of 1 person with a curious mind. Take a gander at the WU steam screenshot sections.. see what people have managed to put in WU that is potentially years away from WO. That level of dedication has not been seen in WO sadly, and it does give little hope to see anything good ever coming to the table.

Edited by Legios
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Legios said:

As for Wurm Unlimited, If I had not tried that first I would of probably never even tried WO at all. I have no regrets. I've always disliked private servers or user generated servers that are too likely to vanish from one day to another or oppressing GMs and server hosters.

As I discovered when I played on Wyvern, which was one of the oldest WU servers around and sported a fair population of people.  Granted, after it disappeared for a few weeks, someone else picked the server up where it left off, calling it Wyvern Reborn.  But WU is not the same as WO.  It doesn't have the same community that I've come to love about WO.  I remember the nail in the coffin on why I decided to leave Wyvern and WU altogether and return to WO was I recommended to the chat there about having an impalong like they have here on WO and they looked at me like I had two heads.  The idea that any fool would give away free tool upgrades was an insane notion to them and they blew me off... so I gave up and returned to WO, and never doubted my decision.  We have an amazing community here and I love you all.

TL;DL, Wurm Online has a better and more friendly community than Wurm Unlimited (in my humble opinion)... and we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. :)

Edited by Kyoko
  • Like 8

It would appear the community has already started going elsewhere, I'm not sure what you're on about.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Legios said:

Take a gander at the WU steam screenshot sections.. see what people have managed to put in WU that is potentially years away from WO. That level of dedication has not been seen in WO sadly, and it does give little hope to see anything good ever coming to the table.

I like the diversity of servers available on WU, and a number of admins are certainly creating great places to play.  I'm not sure we're seeing new content like second floors, bridges, the cooking update, the upcoming UI upgrade, etc.

Not to take anything away from the great work WU admins are putting in, but I think the WO team puts out stuff that takes longer to come out because it's diving much deeper into the guts of the machine to plug things in.

I also don't know to what extent the amount of data WO has to keep maintained and intact through updates might be more challenging than a much smaller WU set of data.

Not to make excuses.  I don't think the devs on WO need any, imho, but just to point out that I think it's on a different scale.

DayZ mod added really cool stuff to Arma 2, but I don't think that takes anything away from Arma 2 and the work put in.

Or back in the day saying Desert Combat showed the BF42 devs weren't devoted.

I hoped from the beginning that WU would do for CCAB what DayZ did for Bohemian.  I've certainly bought Arma titles and DLC's purely to play the mod.

1 hour ago, Oreo said:

It would appear the community has already started going elsewhere, I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't think the community is a monolithic, homogeneous entity.  The community you are part of may well be jumping ship, which I presume is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean there isn't still a strong community within Wurm Online.

@OP Best of luck in your next venture, hope you enjoy it.  Many breaks started out long term for me, only to find myself back in the fold sooner than ever anticipated.  If that's your journey, great.  If not, have fun where you find it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deathly said:

My hope is exit posts like this bring some attention to the issues we have and that maybe something is done. Good luck and have fun wherever you go mate, Wurm is always waiting.

Umm...

On 2017-7-30 at 0:15 AM, puncher said:

The things the drove me mad were.  Xanadu lag and losing your ship crossing boarders with everything on it.  Inventory doing strange things and people doing dumb stuff to grief you.

Alliance drama ( i have real mental scars over that) and watching those you play with slip away into the deep world of other games never to return

Yeah Devs are trying last i remember. Cooking time was changed to try and fix lag on xanadu. Ships crossing borders idk. Inventory never did strange things for me or any of my friends so idk what that means. Never witness a person trying to grief in wurm PvE, that takes effort and premium (so can somebody explain that one to me?). Devs also can't control alliance drama.

Most of his issues could have been fixed by seeing different people and living in a place the size of pristine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I don't think the community is a monolithic, homogeneous entity.  The community you are part of may well be jumping ship, which I presume is unfortunate, but that doesn't mean there isn't still a strong community within Wurm Online.

hahahaha

• Like 1

We have a pretty tight community around Summerholt and our Alliance works together a lot of times on projects and helping each other out. Been that way for over a year now. And yes, we see people come and go but also we see some come back after a short break or RL issues.

But on the other hand, they are working on a new tutorial that involves taking to a "guide" that gives you missions to do to learn the basics and it gives you pretty easy to understand instructions, (except it has a couple things mixed up right now) It's on test next to the token for trying out. Just right now it's hung up on the kindling mission.:wacko:

And on the server reset or removal, yeah that might solve some of the problems but as stated in several posts, to many to try and link here, Rolf has a standing policy as long as ONE player is still using a server he will not remove it or reset it.

Edited by Talohan
added info
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:15 AM, puncher said:

TO those I knew goodbye.  To those I did not know goodbye. 

Goodbye.

*sings*

*Goodbye, goodbye*

*Don't know why you say hello*

*I say goodbye*

=Ayes=

Im back maybe.. depends on what the hell i should do.. and if they are gonna do jack squat about a good tutorial.  or it might be  short stay.

• Like 2

Something you should check out that many times goes forgotten is the book of knowledge. It's a good supplement to the tutorial as it answers most new player questions all in one place. It can be activated in HUD settings, I believe.

Other than that, I know a new tutorial is on the list of things that are coming. It might be waiting on the new UI like some other changes though, so we have to be patient.