Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Highway testing!

Highway testing will involve two parts; building the highways, and using them.

Highways are built by placing catseyes on tile corners of 2-3 tile wide paved roads, linking with each other along straight lines and using waystones to form junctions

Paved roads will be built across areas around deeds with stocks of catseyes and waystones for you to build on existing infrastructure to mimic the system coming to the live servers, but there will be also the opportunity to build new highways if you wish.

There's a full guide on building the highways available here:

The second part is using the routing system to find deeds

1.png

Your friendly neighbourhood waystone. These will be at all junctions and point out the nearest deeds along that road as well as the distance in tiles.

2.png

But they also have an extra feature! Using these you can find the route to your desired location (as long as it is connected)

Right click the waystone and select "Find Route"

3.png

From there you can either choose a connected village from the drop down box, or type the exact name into the text box (ignore the note, it's been changed!)

4.png

Once you find the deed you want, click on that and then the Send button

5.png

You'll notice that the arrow which previously listed the closest deed in that direction now shows the deed you wish to go to as well as the tile distance!

6.pngEvery waystone you pass from then onwards will show the direction to take, along with the distance in tiles to the destination.

7.png

The routing can be removed by clicking the clear route option in the find a route window on any waystone.

There's carts, horses, catseyes and crates available just to the north of Now We Are Cooking, and as usual, if you need anything specific, feel free to poke a GM!

Throughout the weekend we'll be organising some friendly competition with a prize or two to the winners, we'll announce those in the live game with a bit of warning for anyone who wishes to participate, but do make sure to download the test client first! As usual it can be found here

http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_test.jnlp

and the unstable test client can be found here

http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_test_unstable.jnlp

• Like 1

Seems like a route bug found, from Gertrudes Mystery I plotted a route to The Vipre Pit

The marker for The Vipre Pit is inside the mine.

LxLbq3u.jpg?1

So right up till entering the cave all the direction markers were working fine, once entering the cave the message 'No routes found to The Vipre Pit' appears, entering the destination deed the route did clear itself, but no 'you have arrived' message.

not sure if bug or intended but can replace catseyes with waystones, and vice versa, on in deed perimeters where get "You do not have permission to plant a catseye on (or next to) "Housing For The Poor"." and "You do not have permission to plant a waystone on (or next to) "Housing For The Poor"." when trying to place new ones

So far tried on NE corner of "Housing For The Poor" and eastern edge of "Hunting Lodge"

Edited by fireblade
extra information

i know but it seems a little inconsistent to be able to replace one with other when cant place new ones, and can see potential anoyance/missuse

e.g someone can replace all perimiter catseyes with waystones just to be anoying plus it swaps the two, so whoever does it gets the catseye back when they replace it with a waystone

i havent checked but may also be able to remove waystones by replacing with catseye when 2 or fewer links 

if cant add new ones probably shouldnt be able to tamper with existing ones as a lot of the time couldnt link a new highway as cant place new catseyes

Edited by fireblade

it allows the addition of new highways, replacing catseyes with waystones

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

it allows the addition of new highways, replacing catseyes with waystones

except it doesnt as you currently cant place any new ones to create the highway in the perimiter only replace an existing one, so you just get a waystone you cant link anything to with the possible exception of the edge of the perimiter in which case you could put the waystone on the first tile outside the perimiter.

I think should either should either

be able to add and replace in a perimiter

or

not be able to add or replace (without permissions)

Edited by fireblade

okay, so you can replace a catseye with a marker if you were going to start another highway, this creates a intersection, you would not be able to replace a marker that is in a highway intersection with a catseye as this would break the highway system, if a highway needed to be re-routed for whatever reason you need to be able to install a new marker to create the 'turn in the highway' once it is done you would be able to remove the catseyes on the old section of highway by bashing which would be very tedious and I don't see anyone doing this for the hell of it without these things being on deed

Looking good so far. Have you addressed the KoS / highway protection issue between perimeter and deed for terminus deeds?

Also, a suggestion. Perhaps catseyes should only glow when a route is selected, so they are not too distracting for normal traveling?

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

perimeter would not count as deeded land

I had no problems with making a road and planting cat's eyes in the perimeter of now we are cooking...

Planting markers (catseyes and waystones) in a perimeter is fine, except when its right next to the deed.

You will not be able to have kos and a highways on same deed, no matter if its a terminus or not.

As I do not yet fully understand how this new highway system is to work... I hope this question is not redundant or silly.

One of things all community map makers are very respectful of is not publishing or revealing the locations of villages and settlements that do not want to be on the community map.  Protecting the anonymity of hermits and others who do not wish their home location to be revealed is part of our job.

So my question.. As long as a village does NOT have a waystone in it, I gather that hermits and those desiring their location to remain unpublished will have their privacy protected from someone enter their villages name in the "Find Route To Village" box, and being able to discover where an unpublished place is?

Thank you for  your time and trouble,

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/140493-albia-roads-map-of-indy/ Downloadable from there on Google Drives. You can also Zoom in on it right there on Google Drives.

Correct, if they do not have a waystone in (or within 2 tiles) of their village, they will not be able to be found.

There has been some discussion about this over in the other thread:

I can think of a few a few deeds that are not on the community map, and have a existing road junction within their perimeters - not sure if they are within 2 tiles of the deed edge but very probably will be for some as the road is right up against the edge of the deed.

On Xanadu this concern may well end up being a mute point, as quite a few of the long distance roads do not currently count highways (in a few cases with single tile tunnels which hamper any upgrade). That and the distances involved will mean any upgrade is likely to take a long time, and of course may never happen (given there has not been the need so far)...

LxLbq3u.jpg?1

You do not get 'you have arrived at your destination' if the route enters a mine and ends on the deed inside the mine.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:38 AM, Tich said:

Planting markers (catseyes and waystones) in a perimeter is fine, except when its right next to the deed.

You will not be able to have kos and a highways on same deed, no matter if its a terminus or not.

From my understanding a highway is only valid if it leads through, or terminates at a deed? 

If this is correct, that means we have to choose between having a protected road to our deed that people may not block or mess with, or being able to add someone to your kos list?

Edited by Alyeska

But why? Surely there is a way to provide protection to those who wish to protect the highway to their deed, and keep out unwanted souls?

I don't see the big issue, unless for some reason it isn't codeable. To me, there are some people that I'd like to KoS, but I won't be able to if I want to have a protected highway and/or tunnel to my deed. Is that really necessary?

It shouldn't be an issue to separate terminus deeds against non-terminus deeds, and then code a clause that enabled KoS in the first, and disables KoS in the latter.... no?

On 7/31/2017 at 8:15 AM, Tich said:

Correct, if they do not have a waystone in (or within 2 tiles) of their village, they will not be able to be found.

Just so I understand, someone can plant markers in anyone's perimeter?  Just not in (or within 2 tiles) of their deed?  :unsure:

When I had the waystone on deedborder or one tile into perimeter I could not find deed.

• Like 1

waystone needs to be 1 tile into the deed for it to work, from the last time i tried it

• Like 1

yeah, just did one and it has to be inside deed area in order for it to be shown on the waystone.

How does it work with fences/gates?  I have a fence around my deed so there is no way to put a waystone there?  Tried testing but couldn't get it set up correctly.

54 minutes ago, autumn said:

How does it work with fences/gates?  I have a fence around my deed so there is no way to put a waystone there?  Tried testing but couldn't get it set up correctly.

Join IRC and ask for help in setting up the area, generally we devs don't bite ;)

What, no biting? That wasn't in my contract

• Like 1