Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

QoL - Timer-based Bulk Transfer

Transferring large amounts of dirt, bricks, etc. between BSBs and crates is about as annoying as a mosquito in the ear. A little part of me dies every time I have to drag/drop umpteen thousand times while holding shift + enter as I can't see any good reason for this mechanic, apart from the link to body strength.

Suggestion: Have transfer of any amount greater than what fits in toon's inventory trigger a timer. Length of timer is calculated according to body strength (or available carrying capacity) and weight of transferred items. Allow any amount to be transferred up to capacity limit of either container involved in transfer; higher amount  = longer timer. Allow multiple transfers to be queued just like any other action.

Edit: This would also eliminate transfer actions failing and needing to be repeated when you enter an amount that exceeds your current inventory capacity.

Edited by Gwyn
Post expanded
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Transferring large amounts of dirt, bricks, etc. between BSBs and crates is about as annoying as a mosquito in the ear. A little part of me dies every time I have to drag/drop umpteen thousand times while holding shift + enter as I can't see any good reason for this mechanic, apart from the link to body strength.

Suggestion: Have transfer of any amount greater than what fits in toon's inventory trigger a timer. Length of timer is calculated according to body strength (or available carrying capacity) and weight of transferred items. Allow any amount to be transferred up to capacity limit of either container involved in transfer; higher amount  = longer timer. Allow multiple transfers to be queued just like any other action.

Edit: This would also eliminate transfer actions failing and needing to be repeated when you enter an amount that exceeds your current inventory capacity.

A few years ago, some people would announce in global that they were about to lock down the server.  No lead time, just a snicker, and then we'd all be frozen in place for minutes at a time.  May not seem like long, but when you're in the middle of nowhere carefully avoiding beasts you can't handle and  some stooge purposely freezes, not lags, freezes an entire server in place... it feels like an eternity.

How did they do this?  They moved a large number of veggies(in the case I saw personally), or other items, in bulk from one container to another.  They knew perfectly well what the effect would be, it was that predictable and reliable.

The people who did that sucked.  They didn't think they did, but they did.  They made it clear they felt entitled and noobs like me should just be thankful we were allowed to play at all... but in the end Rolf & Co. decided letting a few people (who should have known better) screw over an entire server at will was a bad idea.

It didn't help matters that Wurm was being targeted by hackers at the time.  Maybe not Russian hackers living in North Korea with ties to Big Tobacco, but little hackers with enough pimples and determination to have an effect.  Anyway... I won't name names because those who suck know who they are, and some have sold their accounts, but that's where the limitation came about.  Sufferin' succotashes that ruined it for everybody else, and started foaming at the mouth when called on it.

If there's a way to lift the limitation without letting a few succotashes screw everybody else over, then absolutely!  +1!  +2 on Sundays!

Not until then though, please.

Edited by Reylaark
*in -the- case >> in case.

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

A few years ago, some people would announce in global that they were about to lock down the server.  No lead time, just a snicker, and then we'd all be frozen in place for minutes at a time.  May not seem like long, but when you're in the middle of nowhere carefully avoiding beasts you can't handle and  some stooge purposely freezes, not lags, freezes an entire server in place... it feels like an eternity.

How did they do this?  They moved a large number of veggies(in the case I saw personally), or other items, in bulk from one container to another.  They knew perfectly well what the effect would be, it was that predictable and reliable.

The people who did that sucked.  They didn't think they did, but they did.  They made it clear they felt entitled and noobs like me should just be thankful we were allowed to play at all... but in the end Rolf & Co. decided letting a few people (who should have known better) screw over an entire server at will was a bad idea.

It didn't help matters that Wurm was being targeted by hackers at the time.  Maybe not Russian hackers living in North Korea with ties to Big Tobacco, but little hackers with enough pimples and determination to have an effect.  Anyway... I won't name names because those who suck know who they are, and some have sold their accounts, but that's where the limitation came about.  Sufferin' succotashes that ruined it for everybody else, and started foaming at the mouth when called on it.

If there's a way to lift the limitation without letting a few succotashes screw everybody else over, then absolutely!  +1!  +2 on Sundays!

Not until then though, please.

Lagging the server with crops was done by dropping thousands and thousands into a BSB at once, and is why "you can only move 100 items at a time" exists.  I know this because I used to terrorize Exodus for a few minutes every harvest day.

You've never been able to move more than an inventory's worth of items out of a BSB at a time, partly because the act of just "moving" the items instantly generates them, puts them in your inventory, and drops them into the other BSB.  Removing the limitation of "one inventory at a time" would generate and destroy up to thousands of items at once, seizing up the server like the old wemp bombs. A timer-based suggestion (like the one in this thread) where the items are transferred in batches throughout the course of the action would minimize the potential for abuse and save folks a lot of RSI.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Noizhead said:

Lagging the server with crops was done by dropping thousands and thousands into a BSB at once, and is why "you can only move 100 items at a time" exists.  I know this because I used to terrorize Exodus for a few minutes every harvest day.

Suffering Succotash!! :lol:

I was never on Exodus.  All it would have taken is a T-10 minutes announcement and it would all have worked out but oh well.  I must have stumbled across a special bunch of buckaroos.

55 minutes ago, Noizhead said:

A timer-based suggestion (like the one in this thread) where the items are transferred in batches throughout the course of the action would minimize the potential for abuse.

Awesome.  Thanks for helping me understand the suggestion a bit better.

+1

12 hours ago, Noizhead said:

the act of just "moving" the items instantly generates them, puts them in your inventory, and drops them into the other BSB

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Noizhead said:

A timer-based suggestion (like the one in this thread) where the items are transferred in batches throughout the course of the action would minimize the potential for abuse and save folks a lot of RSI.

Yes. I see it as simply removing the dragging and clicking for each batch. Internally the mechanic could remain the same and all we would see is the timer itself. QOL.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion that would allow us to have our cake and eat it too.

Could the dev's not make an action-repeat timer, that would allow a person to transfer a max # of carry-able items, and then repeat until the # requested has been transferred or there are no more contents to transfer?

If tied to a stamina limitation, i believe it would work nicely I would imagine.  I think a similar mechanic is used like Leveling for digging would fit the bill nicely

• Like 2

A number of WU servers let players drag up to 1,000 items between bulk containers and crates. Even more of them allow dragging 100 at a time as well as a max of 100 items from the ground into containers. The problem with WO is more that you are limited to drag only the weight that you can carry between containers. Not really sure why WU servers can drag many 100's of items between containers and WO has not figured this out without associated problems that WU servers avoid but it sure would be a lot more convenient to up the draggings to at least 100. A very tedious process as it is and a worthwhile suggestion here basically.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

+1 !

Have it work like level. You start to transfer 853 dirt from a bsb to a crate, you move your inventory limit at a time, all the while losing stamina, so you have to stop every few minutes to refill stamina.

Would alleviate the tedious job of moving bulk mats, while maintaining some bandwidth limit to protect the hamsters! 

Edited by TFH-CO
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Ayes said:

A number of WU servers let players drag up to 1,000 items between bulk containers and crates. Even more of them allow dragging 100 at a time as well as a max of 100 items from the ground into containers. The problem with WO is more that you are limited to drag only the weight that you can carry between containers. Not really sure why WU servers can drag many 100's of items between containers and WO has not figured this out without associated problems that WU servers avoid but it sure would be a lot more convenient to up the draggings to at least 100. A very tedious process as it is and a worthwhile suggestion here basically.

=Ayes=

the same problems exist on WU servers running this mod, moving a large amount of items will cause the server to hang, it's just less likely to happen with less players.

there's been discussion about how this could be achieved, and it is on our list to address.

• Like 2

I thought it'd be cool to use a crafting window type interface, one side is items to transfer ( click to add items to que ) and other window is the targets deposit container.  Click 'transfer' and a timer starts as you transfer items.

Can limit it to how many you can transfer at at time by how much you can acutally carry.

Timer is based on Mind Logic ( amount of actions, que of items that you can transfer at one click as well )  IE:  51 ML = 6 Actions = 6 seperate transfer per click = something like ( amount of items / ML ) + ( Que Number + 5 Seconds ) 

dunno, but heck i can dream can't i.