Sign in to follow this  
Nicrolis

Sand from Rock Shards

Alliance mate of mine, Darmalus, questioned why we cant get sand from rock shards. I agreed.

Pick axe on rock shards(20kg) makes gravel(17.5kg or 18kg). Can be used to pave gravel as well.

Then you use either a large maul, or imo a Grindstone, to grind it into sand(15kg or 10kg).

I the weight is up to debate for balance, but I believe those weights would work well.

EDIT: Oh ya, and this frees up dirt being converted to sand and then deleted from the server. I know about the dirt spell, but only those who actually own the priest really use it.

Edited by Nicrolis
  • Like 11

Also gravel as an intermediary stage.

• Like 2

Rock shards are a renewable resource, dirt isnt as easily obtained from thin air. Bumping post :P

sand is a resource and as such should not be able to be created out of thin air, mind you dirt can be created out of thin air, but that does take a priest and a lot of favor

someone high on a mountain should not be able to convert 1000's of rock shards into sand for ease of terraforming, you want it you dig for it or cast it

sand isnt being made out of thin air using this method. its using the renewable resource of rock shards. Using the amounts I suggested above, it would be balanced pretty well to make it not something that is easily made, but another way to get something with out destroying dirt OR using 

priest and a lot of favor

which alot of people do not have funds or access to.

I'd like to bump this with +1

If not for regular rock shards, then sandstone shards are "theoretically" nothing other than sand, packed tightly together. Should be able to grind it into sand, right?

• Like 1

On 28/07/2017 at 8:54 PM, Nicrolis said:

Alliance mate of mine, Darmalus, questioned why we cant get sand from rock shards. I agreed.

Because Digging would be easier. The only people who can't dig are some priests, and it only takes 1 sand to make a sand tile. I understand another option being available is nice, but would anybody actually use this... Seems like a method to get high ql sand by means of another skill other than digging. Either that or just a harder method to get sand. Its much easier to spend a good amount of time leveling the top of a desert to get a good stock of sand. Theres nothing wrong with how sand works, so -1. 

+1 to at least grinding sandstone into sand as an alternative source

• Like 1

Simply clicking a pickaxe to a rockshard to get 75% of the weight in one click, seems a pretty easy to get sand, I get your wanting to use the realism approach to make building on a mountian top easier without having to drag dirt up to the top.

The shear amount of effort to make sand from boulders isn't so simple needing something a hell of a lot stronger than what is being crushed to make it happen, crushers, constant repair of cutting teeth etc., but this is Wurm " and if the going gets tough, lobby for something to make it easier " .

Please no.

Sandstone maybe, but general rock no.  Not all rocks in life have sand in them.  All sandstone has sand though.  I will say this again. -1.  (+1 for possible sand from sandstone but the reality is you can't get both sandstone shards and sand, you'd get one or the other) 

• Like 2

On 27/09/2017 at 1:34 PM, Brew said:

Please no.

Sandstone maybe, but general rock no.  Not all rocks in life have sand in them.  All sandstone has sand though.  I will say this again. -1.  (+1 for possible sand from sandstone but the reality is you can't get both sandstone shards and sand, you'd get one or the other) 

All sand in life is made at least partly from rock, sandstone is sand condensed into rock so that's not true. Would be a good use for excess rock shards, I personally hate huge terraformed digging pits that mar our servers and make areas impassable without climbing, especially annoying if you're a noob running from a wolf.

On 8/9/2017 at 5:56 PM, Nicrolis said:

dirt isnt as easily obtained from thin air.

Actually, favor costs 50c per 1,000 lately, so for 1 silver you can create 700 dirt out of thin air, or dig up 1,000 dirt at 10i / action... Not as much difference as it once was. 

Not all rocks in life have sand in them

Sand is mostly ground up rock.  However, it does take hundreds of years (at least) to turn rocks into sand naturally.  Even with modern tools it isn't really feasible to reproduce this natural process artificially, so why would medieval wurmians be able to do what modern technology can't (or won't for economic reasons). 

Edited by Belgrim

There are many rocks in earth that have zero sand (siO2) content.  Look it up. 

Sandstones also have a range of sand to cement percentages based on a multitude of factors. Making them all unique. Some with more sand some with less.

Edited by Brew

arguing realism for sand when we combine cocoa and nuts to make coconuts

theres so many sandstone walls just allow it for the sake of qol as an alternative option instead of having to dig up your front yard

Saying all rocks have sand in real life as argument for the suggestion, is why I commented Gary. o7

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Saying all rocks have sand in real life as argument for the suggestion, is why I commented Gary. o7

Actually we both said sand is made from rock not containing it, any form of rock (igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic) can make sand but as belgrim says it takes a huge amount of time naturally

Aye fraeye, but to crush igneous rock into sand would be out of our medieval leagues. 

Sandstone giving sand is more feasible but only a shards or sand not both. The idea we can crush any rock into sand is silly compared to taking sandstone and crudely crushing it. 

• Like 1