Sign in to follow this  
MrGARY

New player QoL: Start with some or full sleep bonus

Something I've seen stay constant through the years whenever I've made a new alt, everyone starts with exactly 0 sleep bonus.  For someone like me making an alt, if I wanted to grind it for some reason that's fine, I have a billion beds and sleep powder falling out of every pocket, ignoring the fact that I have multiple already skilled accounts and an alt is just a secondary casual thing.

For an actual new player, it's not so convenient.  Yes, they can make a bed, they will have to no matter what, but beds are difficult to make for a new player.  Sure, they can go buy stuff or hope someone is nice enough to donate, but that isn't very noob friendly.  Sure, they can go "join a village and get everything handed to them", but this isn't what we should expect a sandbox game to be.  They can go premium and get 2 sleep powder yes, but they have to make it to the point they like the game and want to pay for premium.  That's also only if they pay through the shop, if they earned silver to get prem, well they're out of luck on sleep powder there.

So if every new account f2p right off the bat started with anywhere from 1-5 hours of sleep bonus, it will help them start up and get past the first trial of if they enjoy the game or not, so it's a nice little bonus for qol and player retention while having no actual negative impact on anyone else, or anyone at all really.  Personally I wouldn't care if someone got 20 blacksmithing a little faster, or 21 body control a few days sooner

• Like 11

i didn't know it existed when i started out, for weeks, built a rowboat got Ship Building to 12, founded a deed on deli before someone told me. 
+1

Edited by Steveleeb
removed initialism

+1

A friend of mine started playing wurm last week and I told him to turn on his SB, I never paid attention to new characters not having any at all and thought it was kinda sucky to not be able to use this from the start.

Also consider how long it would take for a new player starting out to build a house and a bed, I am sure more often than not new players do not even know about sleep bonus and how nice a boost it is to skills.

+1

Suggestion accepted pending approval.

• Like 8

Found out new players still don't get sleep bonus, bump :(

• Like 1

+1 Also make it more easier for player to know about bonus, i didnt know that exists and how it's used for almost full month when i started

I think it would be a good idea if you gained sleep bonus at half or a quarter of the speed of sleeping in a bed, just slowly gain it while you are logged off.

+1

+1 from me. Sure, now new players could just hop over to the other cluster to gain sleep powder on their chosen cluster and thus not needing to build a shack and a bed but still......

Good suggestion. +1

Also: give the newbie tent the sleep menu from beds (we can discuss whether this should work for crafted tents as well), so that a new player can fill his/her sleep bonus by r-clicking the tent and going to sleep like in a bed.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

Good suggestion. +1

Also: give the newbie tent the sleep menu from beds (we can discuss whether this should work for crafted tents as well), so that a new player can fill his/her sleep bonus by r-clicking the tent and going to sleep like in a bed.

I like that. The whole sleep thing didn't make sense to me when I first started playing (and neither did the tent, to be honest). Maybe a better tutorial could help? I almost think the tutorial should be very basic missions on Golden Valley, in which you get some karma and sleep bonus for doing basic things like "forage 5 items", or "pack a dirt", etc.

That way the players have an incentive to actually do and learn, instead of wandering around reading signs. If they want to come straight to Wurm, they can, but miss out on the karma/sleep bonus.

• Like 1

the mission idea sounds good but most will just skip it and go straight to the exit regardless...and not very fun for vets creating an alt. the karma for listening to tutorial sounds like a fun idea tho.

Bump for caring about new players - made a new alt for a slaying the other day and noticed they still in fact, start with 0 sleep bonus

• Like 1

This is actually a wonderful idea! +1

Ooo, or even as a reward for completing parts of the new tutorial.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Joelle said:

This is actually a wonderful idea! +1

Rewarding for tutorial would be nice. Only problem is that first two weeks of my playing I had no idea what the heck is sb and how to turn it on. When I found out people talking about it in global chat randomly after some questoning I was like, what, how did I not now that before, after that I didn't know how to refill it once I spent it and struggled to actually make a bed... I hope the tutorial will bring new player attention to benefit of sb in some more intuitive manner

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joelle said:

Very good idea as this would motivate anyone to *complete* the tutorial. Then they should receive a full 5hrs sleep bonus. Good also to have some notation about what it is when they receive it.

=Ayes=

• Like 2