Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Build a Blossom! Pristine Starter deed competition

Hi Everyone! 

It's time for a makeover, deed style! 

We're looking for players to form groups and submit design ideas for the Blossom starter deed, just like we've done for other towns.

The layout is fairly simple, the deed is a set size of 41x41, and has a large perimeter, we're looking for a design that shows off what's possible in the game, as well as give it that community style for Pristine.

We'll be taking entries for the next two weeks, then you will all have the opportunity to vote on which one you want to represent your server.

Entries will need to have a deedplanner file of the proposal, a few screenshots from deedplanner, and a little blurb detailing your proposal. You don't have to worry about materials, as we'll provide them all. (Assembly required, extra nails and shafts may be found at the bottom of the box)

The current deed plan is available here:

https://pastebin.com/VPwQnKaB

So grab a friend or three, and get planning!

Entry timeframe closes when this counter expires:

auction_timer_E1502418405.gif

• Like 2

I suggest something that refers to blossom... like a park. Medium hedges...lawns...roads between nice trees...advanced pavements...fountains...statues...

Edited by sandokhan
  • Like 1

I agree. Unless the buildings would offer some sort of functionality to new players, such as usable forges, I would also be in favor of some sort of more minimalist central park type design. 

On the other hand it is also to showcase what we can build, materials we can use, decor we can craft. All things on spawn deeds are protected, nothing you can take or use. I would like fixing the public mine to the north in perimeter, making a "usable" area to craft basics, but that would require regular maintenance, you know.... perimeter... decay rate!

Let's get to it and see what peeps can come up with ;)

:ph34r: me has been working hard on some ideas 

Edited by QueenRocks
  • Like 1

6 days to go, let me start. I have called it "Bridges and Stairs", the bridges offering themselves for this are only the flat top bridges. I tried adding an arched bridge, but i am all for symmetry, so they did not quite fit in my eyes. The buildings are full of all kinds of stairs which allow the climbing all the way to the top of each and going across to the next building. I kept with the "Park" kind of idea in the 2 western quarters, kept the green tiles as grass for now but they could be made lawn with flowers in between. It could do with a few more trees here and there, I have to see it in game to say where.

I also looked around server for interesting buildings, not too big and themed and found the Fishing Hut at Neotori which now decorates a pond in the North West corner. I also like to add the colorful chairs from Fallen Sky in a garden setting somewhere (not possible in Deed Planner, or i haven't found it). Not to say that Pristine does not have any interesting buildings, but they were a little bit too big for the challenging steep terrain at Blossom. I kept the terraforming to a minimum, raising the middle, making the gravel walk ways walkable and flattening out the top in the East a little.

I would like to invite all citizens to take up the indoor decor of a building, namely the 2 marble at the water, 3 sandstone in the middle, 2 slate at the top and the brewery in the North East corner. The standard features of a starter deed like traders and the bartender can occupy tiles in or around the sandstone buildings.

I am also thinking of some cave dwellings between cave entrances in the South West (mine door) to the North East (rock tile). Much of that idea depends how deep the dirt layer is in the South West.

the pastebin link: https://pastebin.com/RLtsVkXy

I used Deed Planner 2.8.8 to get it to pastebin, not sure if it all worked

The .map file is also available at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_friQl7icJuRXBCZVhEYTFQU2M

Lady :wub:

• Like 4

On 8/4/2017 at 9:49 AM, QueenRocks said:

6 days to go, let me start.

Love it! Only thing I have to ask.. Isn't the road going through Blossom an official highway? Unsure how the one-tile main road will work with the new highway system coming.

https://pastebin.com/2FyVFdwA

Edited by Mykoal
added a bird's eye view as a friend requested and I meant to, however I somehow missed it when it was going to be my opening shot...
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Joelle said:

Love it! Only thing I have to ask.. Isn't the road going through Blossom an official highway? Unsure how the one-tile main road will work with the new highway system coming.

The first thought that came to my mind.... Is there a highway going through Central Park?

But a good point, thanks Joelle. If it will become an issue, I am sure to make changes.

So before I go crazy trying to perfect slopes in deedplanner, here's my idea for Blossom:

ls6Hah1eQAKLwiipau5nFA.png

mLM_GG8kQ0O9KOVQYGeCvQ.png

7xZIcNelRsWZa7iRxRt9qw.png

spSMD-OYRxG3LTkf7WMo9w.png

AJFnh8p-Q2mWYsnR-1YjYg.png

gLqiTtSQSQKgdwLpWp6U7g.png

j5U7o4yNTTqwQ59EHAY1Vg.png

I thought a more minimalistic approach would be nice, but it still includes all of the essentials: A smithy, a kitchen, a church, farmland, an inn, and a pen for animals. The pavement flower mosaic/mural (whatever you want to call it), lavender hedges, and flowerbeds are meant to fit with the "Blossom" flower theme, and I didn't fuss around too much with decorations in deedplanner, but more statues, fountains, flowerpots, etc. might look nice as decoration too. I tried to make it more of a 'park' feel, which is the vibe I get when I think of how Blossom should be. Enjoy!

https://pastebin.com/9B1uCwiW

Edited by Joelle
  • Like 4

All three designs are really nice!  I'd wanted to submit one myself, but RL is keeping me a bit busy lately.  Of them all, I think I prefer QueenRocks the most, for all the variety/complexity, which should inspire new Pristine residents to create their own masterpieces.

• Like 1

All those hillside slopes really limit what you can do on Blossom. One half of the whole area is all hillside even. Really need a GM like Enki to flatten out some terraced areas at least. Also underneath a lot is mined out which could be redone to enable some interesting mine builds for visitors to see below.

The submitted designs look pretty but there is only so much you can do with that wilted flower as it stands. Hope for the best I guess to see it bloom into something of beauty.

=Ayes=

Can people mine underneath starter deeds?

When Esteron got redesigned it was sloped as well, and Enki flattened it by raising it as a whole which created cliffs along the perimeter. They can be reshaped but something to consider in your designs.

We can provide flattening and terraforming services if necessary, though working with the general shape and flow of the land is always best as it creates a much more natural look,

(no we're not terraforming the entire of pristine just to all look natural either!)

17 hours ago, Treadwell said:

Can people mine underneath starter deeds?

Nope. The mines underneath Blossom were done by someone with the permission to do so. They seemed to have been mined when the newer buildings were built there, so either a GM, maybe the "Mayor" or someone they assigned permission to.

=Ayes=

While I think it would be cool to show new players a mine. I think it would be confusing if it wasn't minable. Even if it led out to the perimeter I could see new players trying to mine contained walls and getting confused

Well, with all the creative things being built within mines these days due to the recent additions of houses, pavements, wall cladding and bridges, having the mine developed underneath Blossom would be a real nice showcase for this aspect of the game. As for any confusion about mining or altering the inside under there, the lesson would soon be learned to their benefit.

This could be another *new* project for the starter Villages too, designing and building out the mines under them. Sure, it would not be possible under some of them due to water and rock layers but for those where it could be done I think it would be pretty impressive.

=Ayes=

Late entry before things close up!  I've always envisioned Blossom as a sleepy little town.  To that end, I wanted to create a rustic feeling that hints at what's possible in the game, but leave the truly spectacular stuff outside Blossom for the thrill of exploration.  Overview:

EEwnG7V.jpg

There'd be much more tree cover than what's shown - it's been removed for visibility, and most grass tiles without a tree would be a flower tile.  When entering from the tutorial, Blossom is listed as "Blossom (flowers for everyone)" and I really want that to be the theme of the town.  The entire area has been lifted up by 30-50 dirts to smooth out that steep entry from the south.  I love landshaping and trying to keep the land feeling as natural as possible, minimizing huge flat spaces or flatraising.  I also wanted to pull the coastline in to the deed area to make it feel a little more natural.  I tried to keep the materials understated - I think some of the newer textures look a little clashy, but I tried to represent a few different styles without having the town become an exhaustive catalog of all possible wall types.

Ideally, I'd like to reshape the perimeter as well - breaking down the dirt platforms into more natural hills and seeding them with various trees and bushes as if they were the town's orchards - without good height data, I didn't want to try and mock that up in Deedplanner (which is an excellent tool, but a little fussy to do landshaping with).  Now that you know a little about the design philosophy, let's go on a tour!  (And here's the Pastebin link if you'd like to take it for a spin in Deedplanner yourself!)

New players currently enter on this tile, and I want the first thing they see to be the path down to the ocean and that amazing view out to the bay and a little shrine/gazebo.

bjW18qX.jpg

As the player turns around to the left, they'll see the "Mayor's house", with a small vineyard out back, a garage for the official cart, and a paddock for an animal or two.

lyAq3a9.jpg

Turning further left, one sees the Inn - Deed planner doesn't have a model for the cupboard or the bartender, but in the back of the inn, the bartender would be behind the 'bar' (cupboards turned around) for serving food and drink to new players.

gtc4DCe.jpg

Interior detail of one of the rooms - ideally the beds would be set to rent for 10i and usable, but I have no idea what happens if a player logs out in a bed and never logs back in.  Maybe that adds flavor!

UrtMqvm.jpg

Up behind the inn is a little graveyard for the town.
bOsqvyW.jpg

Continuing to turn left, the 'commons house' is up on the hillside - beds here are 1i.

1W4xjnB.jpg

Interior of the commons house
Sb6k0v1.jpg

Storage warehouse for the town inside are barrels, crates, amphora racks, and BSBs to feel like the repository of town goods:

vm9X1x9.jpg

And the workshop with forges, smelter and carts - ideally usable by the public:

RLze8R7.jpg

On the edge of the deed are two gatehouses are intended to suggest to players that leave the area that dangerous beasties are afoot and the town guards can no longer help them.

HhgO9Hf.jpg

And there you have it - a rustic, nature-oriented Blossom to serve as an understated counterpoint to the more amazing structures that players build outside the town.  Blossom should be more of an appetizer for what's to come as new players enter the game and explore the area.  I wish I had a little more time - Deedplanner is great for buildings, but decorating interiors is a little more of a challenge.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sidereal said:

but I have no idea what happens if a player logs out in a bed and never logs back in.  Maybe that adds flavor!

The bed will be shown as "occupied" until the player accumulates 5 hours of sleep bonus after which they are removed as the "occupant" of the bed and it becomes available for others to use once again. My opinion is that beds should be set to "free sleep" for anyone in the starter Villages as certainly newbies will have little if any coins to spend in that manner. Even on my deed Inns all beds are set that way for anyone to use as long as they like and are rarely occupied if there are more than 1-2.

=Ayes=

On 8/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, Treadwell said:

While I think it would be cool to show new players a mine. I think it would be confusing if it wasn't minable. Even if it led out to the perimeter I could see new players trying to mine contained walls and getting confused

Hey Tred, a quick look at their event log will clear up any confusion... If anything, we'll have to check on it and has a GM fix the mine heading off deed...

54 minutes ago, Mykoal said:

Hey Tred, a quick look at their event log will clear up any confusion... If anything, we'll have to check on it and has a GM fix the mine heading off deed...

Sure, I think it's not unreasonable for a new player to not be fully aware of their event log, or even if they saw it, they probably wouldn't know what the message meant and that they could keep traveling through the mine to the minable perimeter.

But with that said I'm totally for a starter deed mine, just things to consider around it.

I know the re-design of Esteron included a small mine tunnel leading down to an iron vein.

On 8/11/2017 at 1:08 PM, Ayes said:

The bed will be shown as "occupied" until the player accumulates 5 hours of sleep bonus after which they are removed as the "occupant" of the bed and it becomes available for others to use once again. My opinion is that beds should be set to "free sleep" for anyone in the starter Villages as certainly newbies will have little if any coins to spend in that manner.

Good to know!  I agree that it makes the most sense to have the beds be free if they empty out once maximum sleep bonus is reached.

• Like 1