Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Freedom tab rename to server name

There are a ton of upgrades to chat I'd love to see, but this is just a little baby step.  Won't make a huge difference, but every new player that starts the game is usually confused by the chat channel naming.  Would it be hard to rename the Freedom to whichever server we are actually on?  If crossing servers, just create a chat entry, saying "welcome to "x" server!", so people can see what server the chat was coming from.

• Like 13

+1

sounds like an easy and helpful change... but not sure chat channels are set up to accept and change parameters on the fly, no idea how quick or easy a fix that would be.

Hopefully the new UI is coming along nicely!

• Like 1

Good point Reylaark.  Might already be in the works with the new UI.

• Like 1

Are you aware the Freedom channel stands for the kingdom and not the server group?

There is no point in backing or opposing such a change, it is too barely used to even be considered an issue. Telling people what the channel actualy is would even be easier.

Edited by Chlodovech

yep, aware.  However, it really doesn't function properly in that form.  GL Freedom does work that way.  Right now, Freedom works strictly as a global chat for anyone on the specific server they are on.  I disagree with you though about it being used.  It gets plenty of use and especially now with lower populations per server.  People like to socialize and Freedom channel is a great way to get to know your fellow server members.

So what you are after is removal of the freedom channel and add a channel with the name of the server you are on (if a freedom pve server)

And if you server hop, you get a new channel for each server you goto..

What happens if you type in the one you are not on (as it would not be connected to that server) ?

If I am in Xanadu, and type in Freedom, then only the people in Xanadu will see my text.

If I server hop to Deli, then only the people in Deli will see what I type in Freedom.

Isn't that how it works?

I believe, the suggestion simply asks for the tab name to be changed and not the chat functionality?

In other words, if I am in Xana, the Freedom still works as now, but it'd display "Xanadu" as the tab name.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tich said:

So what you are after is removal of the freedom channel and add a channel with the name of the server you are on (if a freedom pve server)

What happens if you type in the one you are not on (as it would not be connected to that server) ?

Exactly the same that would happen if you leave Chaos and switch from PMK chat to Freedom chat: It stays there doing nothing.

I agree with this change. Seems logical. I have been in 3 pmks and no one ever uses global pmk channels. I think a better use of that tab would be a "Server" tab and another for global kingdom. Very few pmks, if any, use them. They mostly use Alliance or Village chats. The only ones that reliably use it are Freedomers, and everyone is a Freedomer in Freedom, so no point in naming them -freedom- instead of -server name-. Less confusion that way too.

Quality of life increase. +1

On 7/31/2017 at 2:22 AM, Tich said:

Honestly, I was mainly hoping the tab name could change with the server crossings, but that may be a bit hard to do, where spawning new tabs is probably easier.  As a new player, "Freedom" just made no sense to me - other than reminding me what Mel Gibson looks like with his guts ripped out.  Spawning new server tabs might be more clutter than veterans want.  Maybe just calling it "Server" is the simplest solution... well, other than "do nothing", which is certainly easier.  I suppose along those lines, Renaming GL Freedom to All Servers (accept GV) would make sense.

Edit: GV can see GL, but not talk in GL, for anyone that is curious.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Honestly, I was mainly hoping the tab name could change with the server crossings, but that may be a bit hard to do, where spawning new tabs is probably easier.  As a new player, "Freedom" just made no sense to me - other than reminding me what Mel Gibson looks like with his guts ripped out.  Spawning new server tabs might be more clutter than veterans want.  Maybe just calling it "Server" is the simplest solution... well, other than "do nothing", which is certainly easier.  I suppose along those lines, Renaming GL Freedom to All Servers (accept GV) would make sense.

Edit: GV can see GL, but not talk in GL, for anyone that is curious.

Renaming the tab to server sounds like the easiest solution to avoid confusion. I've heard a lot of time people saying " I am on freedom, that is what my server tab name says!!" and having a hard time figuring out that it is the kingdom name, rather than the server name. Perhaps calling the tab "server"  and giving a message when you first enter " welcome to the xxx server channel"  would be something that solves both without needing a lot of hard coding works.

[16:48:15] <System> This is the Kingdom Chat for your current server. 

[16:48:15] <System> This is the server Chat for your current server (Celebration). 

Edited by Alyeska