Sign in to follow this  
Budzmcgee

Snow Capped Mountains

I would like to suggest that mountains of a certain height have snow on the peaks all the time it would look better but also youd have a year round snow source for larders. 

• Like 14

It was an amazing sight when the winter season started and my client rendered only the rock tiles snowy. The effect was exactly what you suggest, it looked great. Shame that I did not make a few screenshots.

• Like 2

especially if the snowline retreats and advances with the seasons.

• Like 2

This is something I actually do when generating server maps for WU, so it wouldn't be impossible to incorporate in Wurm, the terrain textures are already available, they're just not used.

And yes, it does add atmosphere.

Make it so.

• Like 6

+1  In a way I feel if this was added the tops of mountains would possibly be on a different harvesting cycle.  Or at least "should".

• Like 1

+1

Anything that adds to Wurm's dynamic realistic feel is a plus.  The little things like day/night cycles and seasons is a huge plus in this and seeing that extended would be nice.

• Like 2

I don't see any disadvantages, and it makes Wurm feel more realistic. +1.

• Like 1

+1

would look great, and source of snow would be awesome

• Like 1

+1 (and maybe sand around all coastlines, or a lot more?)

• Like 2

wow awesome turnout for support thanks guys this might just get passed :D

I think this would be an awesome addition to this already awesome game. +1 from me.

• Like 1

What about the people who live on the tops of these mountains? What if they don't like the idea of snow year-round?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joelle said:

What about the people who live on the tops of these mountains? What if they don't like the idea of snow year-round?

snowball delivery service three seasons per year --->  rake in mad money ---> buy beachfront property on wurmibbean island and retire?

limit to undeeded land only?

There's also ppl who would like a winter environment year round.  I just might.

You do bring up a valid point though.  How do you feel about bribery?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Joelle said:

I don't really like it myself (and I do live on a mountain); but it would be beneficial for game immersion (and quite frankly, beneficial to my wallet :P)

• Like 3

On 7/28/2017 at 9:47 PM, Joelle said:

im suggesting higher than the build limit but still able to climb up there and gather snow and still see it on top of the mountains so dont think it would affect ppl living up there since it would be higher than the height youre allowed to build on mountains

Edited by Budzmcgee
  • Like 1

On 29-7-2017 at 3:47 AM, Joelle said:

The needs of the majority have always priority on the needs of the minority.

The availability of snow is currently way too low because of ridiculous winters. What height would the op suggest?

+1.

50 minutes ago, Chlodovech said:

The needs of the majority have always priority on the needs of the minority.

The availability of snow is currently way too low because of ridiculous winters. What height would the op suggest?

+1.

I imagine height must be a flexible number based per server, otherwise all of xanadu be snow, or celebration would have none. Top 10-20% based on the tallest peak perhaps?

25 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

I imagine height must be a flexible number based per server, otherwise all of xanadu be snow, or celebration would have none. Top 10-20% based on the tallest peak perhaps?

I'd be wary of that, the top 10-20% on some servers would be nigh on unreachable (one single mountain), whereas on other servers it would flood large areas with snow.

A simpler notion would be a hard capped snow line set manually for each server (the devs can run a simulation easily no doubt).

• Like 1

I just noticed your post about this Bugzmcgee since I had mentioned this effect in another S&I post. I saw this on another WU server as permanent snow at higher elevations and was a really fitting and nice enhancement to it. No need to make any special restrictions or complications added to it. If some don't like it they could just settle elsewhere since these locations are mostly barren rock faces anyway. I envision it as an environmental effect which can only be marginally changed by player interaction.

=Ayes=