Sign in to follow this  
Shydow

Auto Smelting

So, I presented one of my random ideas in GL today, and it had a rather positive reception, and was convinced to post the idea here:

My idea is to have Flaming Aura enchant on a pickaxe, automatically smelt ore into lumps as it mines. The power of the enchant would affect how often it smelts, for example, a 1 power enchant would smelt approximately 1 / 100 ore, where a 100 power enchant would smelt all ore mined. This reduces downtime when heavily mining, and gives a new viable enchant for Pickaxes.

Thoughts?

• Like 8

after ive just oncovered what might be half a million iron ores over the last few days and gotta mine them out now... hell yeah, +100

• Like 2

+1

Same with a hatchet as well. Burn down trees when you're clearcutting for a road with a high QL WoA hatchet, or whatever. :) 

-1, just as gut feeling.

+1 to implementing something people want though.

sounds like something str8 out of Runescape, +1

Take a smelter and a bsb into the mine with you, runed wagon can fit both

+1 nonetheless

We have something called a smelter nowdays, and just to make my point why i am not for such a thing like automelting.

I have 99 in mining skill, use a 97ql pickaxe with 90woa+ and i STILL cant keep up with the melting speed a 70ql smelter has.

Its better to use the current "system" when adding some thing that basicly seems like a proposal to make smelters obsololete, and also it would make possible future uses for unmelted ore such as paving.

So -1 to this.

• Like 2

A fun idea, but as Daash says would make smelters obsolete, etc.

• Like 2

I'd propose a slight modification, as I'd personally like to see it being a bit more reliable without being a no brainer (as proposed there's no reason not to put it on a pickaxe). So what I'd propose is to make it turn everything it mines into lumps no matter the power of the enchant. Then add a penalty to your mining timer, depending on the strength of the enchant. At 100 strength the penalty to the timer would be smallest, while at 1 strength your mining timer could for example be double of normal.

This way you're guaranteed to get lumps, so you won't need a furnace or smelter and can thus easily create lumps when a good ql furnace or smelter is not at hand or when you don't want to keep moving stuff around. At the same time the enchant also isn't a no brainer benefit, as using a smelter when one is at hand would remain more efficient time wise. So it's balanced on convenience vs efficiency, which I feel is more balanced then the original proposal.

Round up a bunch of goblins. Kill all the older ones and then use positive/negative reinforcement to train the younger ones for shoveling the ore into a forge.

• Like 1

A bit too much convenience and magics here in my opinion, thus -1. Or we could get rid of the oven as well, just cast FA on your frying pans for instant hot food. :) 

• Like 3

I give a +1, yea, it might be overused on a home map, but considered quite beneficial when exploring or assisting on a map that is not on your home map. 

With Ecrir's modification I like it. Have it a timer penalty - that way it sounds way more balanced. [100] power should still have a penalty on timer but way less than a low cast.

I like the ingenuity of the idea. Makes me wonder else we could come up with: Frostbrand on bowls, to preserve food longer? :)

I don't bother to make a smelter in caves, and even less to move with a wagon with such. I may make forges but they don't keep up. I may make campfires (really) and dump the lumps and lot of remaining ore in bsbs. I may just ignore it and come back later when the ores on the floor have decayed away. So I would use such thing if it was in game, it would be much more convenient.

However, -1. Too easy and automatically bypassing mechanics we already have to help ourselves. "I don't bother" is not a good reason for me, and neither is the too much convenience.

That said, FA makes sense in this use. If it is to be implemented, I'd prefer to see it toned it down significantly from the OP. 100 power should do max 50%, and leave some for the player to make a decision on doing something about it,

Edited by Anarres