header.png

Crystal Bay Estates - Finndar

Hi Everyone! 
Patch day has come and gone, and the java update issues have been addressed. We're aware of the horse and cart issues, as well as the water sources, and will be looking at that over the weekend. There's lots to share this week, so let's jump in!

But first...

Spoiler

Patch Notes 20/JUL/17

July 20, 2017 by Retrograde

Changes and additions

• Added the name of the Capital City of the Alliance in the Village Info screen.
  • Secured/Planted forges and ovens will no longer take decay ticks on deed.
  • Removed the taming difficulty modifier on Black light kingdom players.
  • Epic structure changes on freedom.
    • Deeds can now be placed and resized over Epic  structures.
    • Epic structures no longer require a mission to create them.
    • Missions have a chance of generating at any off deed Epic structure.
    • Ritual missions will pick a random structure type before picking a random structure of that type.
    • Epic structures now report helpers and percentages correctly.

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix:  Metallic liquid will require and use up only the base weight of the liquid when imbuing.
  • Bugfix:  Changed the description of metallic liquid as it can be used on other things, not only weapons.
  • Bugfix:  Increased tower guard pathing range, addressing instances in which tower guards did not respond when called in range.

Creature movement changes

• Disabled champions fleeing on all servers.
  • Reverted a change that made bred seals constantly flee on all servers.

Client changes

• The game clients have been updated and should now work correctly with the latest java version 8u141
  • This update also includes a change to how the memory management system works, and should reduce “stuttering” when running the client for an extended period.

Unstable client changes:

• The memory limitation has been swapped to a dynamic memory usage system, which will allocate RAM depending on the available amount system-wide. Systems with larger amounts of memory will see an increase in the amount that Wurm takes up, but will scale down if it does not require it.
  • Bugfix: Corrected issues in which cave dwelling walls did not render
  • Bugfix: Butterflies and fish will no longer glow at night
  • Bugfix: Removed the swimming sound when embarking a boat from water.

Valrei overhaul

So we mentioned we'll be sharing some more details about the valrei system and the planned overhauls some time ago, and now it's time to share! So let's jump into it.

We have some planned changes for Valrei, the mission system, and Epic in general. These changes are well underway and due in the next few weeks to a month or so.

To start off, with the larger number of player gods that have been added to the game over the past few years, it is necessary to look at how those gods impact the Valrei board. Coming with this set of changes will be player gods being removed from the Valrei board once they are changed from demigods into full gods.

When a player uses a Key to the Heavens, they will still be added to the Valrei board as a static entity paired to their god, but once their god wins a scenario may become a full god and removed from the board. When this happens the player god will still generate missions for players to complete, but these missions will not directly affect the Valrei board in any way or give scenario points.

Scenario rewards are also being changed slightly. Coming with this update will be a requirement for players to be premium in order to be rewarded scenario points as well as karma upon completing a mission. If the player that participated in the mission is non premium, they will only be rewarded karma and sleep bonus, but not scenario points.

At the end of a scenario, there will be 3 tiers of rewards  The top tier will be available to those with the top 20% of scenario contributors, and contain the highest rewards of a single use tome, or a small chance of a Key to the Heavens or dragon egg for those in the top 5%. After this tier will be a second set of winners for the top 50% of contributors where there will be 3 prizes of a yet to be announced item. The final tier for the full 100% of contributors will have 5 chances for either the above unannounced item, or a moon metal lump. This will only impact the Epic servers, as Freedom does not receive scenario rewards.

In addition to the above is a full rework of all mission types, difficulty and rewards. Some existing missions will be removed, some new mission types will be added, and we’ll be going over all mission types to make sure that their difficulty to complete, and reward amounts (of karma, sleep bonus and scenario points) scale properly to the difficulty of the mission.

As a larger overall change to this system, the difficulty tiers will be changing from a system of 1-4 to a system of 1-7, where the difficulty of the mission is determined by the number of successful missions in a row for that god as opposed to the number of source items that god is currently holding on Valrei.

This means as more missions for a given god are completed, the difficulty and rewards of the mission will increase. This applies both to Epic and Freedom, where an additional bonus on Epic will be increased help for the given god, reducing their move timer more depending on the mission difficulty. Similar to now, some missions will be available in friendly territory, and some will be available in enemy territory only according to the difficulty. As mentioned above, the sleep bonus and karma rewards for participating in a mission will be changing from a flat 1000 karma and 30min sleep bonus per mission, instead scaling with the difficulty of the mission with the very low difficulties giving less than the current defaults, and the higher difficulties giving more than the current defaults.

There are also more changes planned for Valrei and Epic in general, but we’re not quite ready to release details of these changes yet. More info about these will come in the near future.

All caged up
A long requested addition is the ability for creatures to be loaded into vehicles, and I have a very special surprise this week, without further ado...

cage.png
That's right, in a coming up date creatures will be able to be loaded into cages, and onto vehicles! Different creatures will take different volumes, and they will need to be led prior to being loaded (meaning no ships full of spiders!) Upon crossing servers they retain all info about traits. Parentage and cared for status will return upon returning to the original server.

Highway testing push
we're gearing up our public testing of the new highway system in anticipation of releasing it with the next big update! We'll be looking at how best to organise public testing, but the best thing you can do is jump on the test server and play around with paving the catseyes and building highways! 

The ongoing discussion thread with the technical gory details can be found here:

Wonders of Celebration

Iberis (known ingame as Hexd and Mizova) is at it again! This time she's taking her sightseeing tour to Celebration and is looking for your input on what's great to see across the server. If you have a suggestion, or know a landmark she might want to check out, let her know!

Community content

This weeks community content is a video by qwizat, with a tour of his twin deeds eden and dune. His village is open to all new players, so if you're looking for somewhere to start your journey, contact him!

There's a lot coming in the next few updates, and we haven't even begun to tease you all about the new skill coming to Wurm, what is it? You'll just have to wait and see

Until then though, keep on wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 27

Ohh, cages! Will the caged animals need to be fed, or some other maintenance? Unrepairable decay?

can i use those cages for my alts too? :P

nice addition being able to load animals.

• Like 3

Do the cages suspend aging, hunger, and other time-adjusted traits on the animals?  

Do the cages decay?

The crossing of servers - I assume you mean the info is retained when the player returns to the original server?  If the care-for property travels with the animal across the server, there will be issues with possibly too many care-for animals on the arriving server, since the list is server-specific?

+1 on transporting animals :) Always thrilling to see great ideas from wurm trickle into the game.

• Like 3

Awesome stuff, few questions though,

Will the amount of time taken off a gods valrei board move timer when finishing a mission also scale based on difficulty as well?

Can you put aggressive animals leadable after taming/dominating onto a ship(like trolls)?

Will animals crossing be enabled from chaos -> freedom and back?

I'm going to guess other teasers not yet shown?

?picture frames?

?wall mounts?

?new up down left right directional keys for moving objects in 3d space?

?more furniture or least new wood textures for the furniture we already have for better decoration?

I'm curious to whats next to come.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff!!

I'm also curious about the care-for property.

36 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

All caged up
A long requested addition is the ability for creatures to be loaded into vehicles, and I have a very special surprise this week, without further ado...

cage.png
That's right, in a coming up date creatures will be able to be loaded into cages, and onto vehicles! Different creatures will take different volumes, and they will need to be led prior to being loaded (meaning no ships full of spiders!) Upon crossing servers they retain all info about traits and parentage and cared for status.

*cries tears of joy* This is... is... is just beautiful. THANK YOU GUYS!

• Like 2

• Removed the taming difficulty modifier on Black light kingdom players.

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY 

• Like 1

i was just complaining last night about planning to kill all my non-swimming animals on my old deed i just moved from. now i can wait a bit before disbanding and load them up, i hope this updates is soon. upkeep is 3.5s a month on a deed i don't use now lol

beauty ... just beautiful.. no more horses laying strewn across the server borders for me to stop and examine and return to said owners who didn't even know their faithful companions were there!! yay!!! Surprises abound.. now if only we could first aid ourselves while riding in a cart or eat...without the "you are too far away from tile"  stuff is bs.. get rid of that dated mechanic scheme..

• Like 2

now if only we could first aid ourselves while riding in a cart or eat...without the "you are too far away from tile"  stuff is bs.. get rid of that dated mechanic scheme..?

I've not modded this on my server but we can first aid and eat while on a cart if i rem could on WO as well, did they change it?

41 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

Do the cages suspend aging, hunger, and other time-adjusted traits on the animals?  

Do the cages decay?

The crossing of servers - I assume you mean the info is retained when the player returns to the original server?  If the care-for property travels with the animal across the server, there will be issues with possibly too many care-for animals on the arriving server, since the list is server-specific?

You are correct parents and caring for is only retained on the origin server. Traits will carry over thou.

Cages will decay at a rate of an iron item for the most part.

As of now ageing is suspended while in the cage, this may and most likely will change.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ausimus said:

You are correct parents and caring for is only retained on the origin server. Traits will carry over thou.

Cages will decay at a rate of an iron item for the most part.

As of now ageing is suspended while in the cage, this may and most likely will change.

So .. a cared for horse on Pristine, venerable, will be taken to Xana, how does the "suspended caring for" work? Will the horse die, not being cared for on Xana (where I already have a full cared for list), but being cared for on Pristine?

• Like 2

Just now, Evening said:

So .. a cared for horse on Pristine, venerable, will be taken to Xana, how does the "suspended caring for" work? Will the horse die, not being cared for on Xana (where I already have a full cared for list), but being cared for on Pristine?

Would conform the the current care-for mechanic and most likely die.

• Like 3

Thank you for the clarification, Ausimus :)

Almost weeping with joy xx thanks devs

Yes the 'caring for' needs clarification.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

All caged up

cage.png
That's right, in a coming up date creatures will be able to be loaded into cages, and onto vehicles! Different creatures will take different volumes, and they will need to be led prior to being loaded (meaning no ships full of spiders!) Upon crossing servers they retain all info about traits. Parentage and cared for status will return upon returning to the original serve

:wub:O:wub:

:wub:M:wub:

:wub:G:wub:

Thank you!  thank you!!  thank you!!!  I'm so excited about this I may actually build my first Caravel!  The S.S Critter Caravel!!  Though Critter Cog also has a nice ring to it.  hmmm.... but anyway THANK YOU!!!!!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

That's right, in a coming up date creatures will be able to be loaded into cages, and onto vehicles! Different creatures will take different volumes, and they will need to be led prior to being loaded (meaning no ships full of spiders!) Upon crossing servers they retain all info about traits. Parentage and cared for status will return upon returning to the original server.

28 minutes ago, ausimus said:

Would conform the the current care-for mechanic and most likely die.

i'd like some more clarification on this too.

so, does the animal get a server-specific caring setting, eg i could bring it to every server and care for it with a char and it'd remember those settings? or would it only remember the caring status of the original server?

when crossing with an animal that is venerable and would've died of old age already yet is being kept alive by the caring system, will it have a certain time window in which its age wont be checked so you can take care of it and keep it safe? or will it be checked on server crossing and randomly fall over?

• Like 1

Exciting stuff! Also... BL Taming Nerf removed!!

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

I foresee a lot of server crossing issues with duplicate ID where animals deleted, lost traits, lost names, changed to another type of animal, lost conditions, random dying animals, and and ...

• Like 2