Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Collectables

So...  I am currently in the middle of pruning/sprout picking 1000 trees/bushes.  I sometimes think it would be nice if long grind sprees like this gave some form of fun payback.

So I propose the addition of "collectable" items to the game; in this specific example butterflies.

When performing any forestry action there is a chance (1/1000) to give a random type of butterfly to the player's inventory.  I'd say about 12 types of butterfly should be a nice number.

Butterflies can be crafted into special decorations, for example butterfly in a jar (crafted using pottery (till we get glassblowing)), or added to a butterfly collection plaque (a piece of wall furnature (crafted using fine carpentry)).  That's pretty much it, they are there to create some extra furnature and give players something they may want to trade with their neighbours who use different skills.  The key idea here is to add an item that has no intrinsic silver value that, none-the-less, makes grindy gathering actions slightly more rewarding and exciting.  Given that QL need not be a factor, it may also benefit new players without hitting the silver pool.  For those with no interest in them; they represent something to sell to others for a bit of extra coin.

Other potential collectables include : Semi precious gems (mining, prospecting), rare flowers (botanise), fossils (digging), coloured fireflies (spellcasting) etc

• Like 4

+1

I'd also love to have more collectible animals like the Christmas animals from last year :)

+1

In addition, this could have server-specific varieties that can be traded about. Different names, same art. I.e. Deliverance Bluewing Butterfly vs the Xanadu Azure Butterfly, both use the same blue butterfly art.

Then you could have a "<Server Name Here> Butterfly Collection"

• Like 2

I collect player hearts.

Here's one of mine ripped out by Horton in the summer of 2010.

Edited by Klaa

On 7/20/2017 at 11:41 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Other potential collectables include : Semi precious gems (mining, prospecting), rare flowers (botanise), fossils (digging), coloured fireflies (spellcasting) etc

Amber fossils from woodcutting/chopping; pearls and shells from fishing/dredging; butchering madstones/feathers 

Would move fireflies to farming and also flowers on foraging; this way it stays to all gathering skills.

Perhaps make them collectable in a container similar to the almanac? Or with some sort of display option... whenever this becomes a thing

Edited by Alyeska

Oh! Capture and keep faeries in jars!

+1 to any rare, but reasonable tchotchke. Though how would this work into the current rarity system?

On 24/07/2017 at 10:11 PM, Alyeska said:

Amber fossils from woodcutting/chopping; pearls and shells from fishing/dredging; butchering madstones/feathers 

Would move fireflies to farming and also flowers on foraging; this way it stays to all gathering skills.

Perhaps make them collectable in a container similar to the almanac? Or with some sort of display option... whenever this becomes a thing

A set of almanac-like pages for collectables might be nice!

• Like 1

Bumping this for butterflies and flowers. Embellish my forestry trips!