Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

WU - Random Map Generator

I would like to see a map/server generator built into WU so that you can roll for a new map when you start. I know there are player made map generators but i would like to see an official one added with a simple click or two for a new random server. 

• Like 1

There already is a map generator in the WU core since it came out. But you need to create a heightmap yourself and feed the WU core with the heightmap. The Wurm Online maps have been created with worldmachine which is an expensive but great tool for creating such heightmaps for example.

Edited by Sklo:D

i'd love to do something like that myself, but i'm not smart enough to figure out "height maps" lol

9 hours ago, ozmods said:

i'd love to do something like that myself, but i'm not smart enough to figure out "height maps" lol

Heightmaps for a nice terrain are tricky to create, this is why even WO devs are using 3rd party software to generate those images. I wouldn't recommend trying something like that in java, it is not worth it and will likely come nowhere close to professional map generators.

Better that the Wurm Unlimited section of these forums should have its own Suggestions and Ideas section as it might generate more ideas there that would be unacceptable or too "overpowered" for WO. Even perhaps those that don't pertain to WO at all, such as this one.

=Ayes=

I also would love being able to roll a random or procedural generated map, right from the launcher with no tech knowledge needed, would make WU's replayability increase dramatically.

Sometimes i might only want to play for a week or two and start from scratch on a clean "unknown territory".

I would love to see this implemented.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

On 21.7.2017 at 3:05 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

I also would love being able to roll a random or procedural generated map, right from the launcher with no tech knowledge needed, would make WU's replayability increase dramatically.

Sometimes i might only want to play for a week or two and start from scratch on a clean "unknown territory".

I would love to see this implemented.

I am sure many people would like a DLC pack for a few euros with big map collection. Like 20-30 maps to choose from. 

• Like 2

I think Keenan has already mentioned he is in the process already of adding some additional maps (possibly including a "tutorial style map"). They are being called "Presets". He told me he wanted to incorporate some "random generation" features re abandoned cabins dungeons villages  etc, to bolster interest and replayability, and I mentioned I'd prefer random generation *maps*, and he seemed to think that sounded intriguing but didn;t promise anything. If I am not misremberin' our conversation. Sucks being senile some days.

He might have also mentioned his schedule though was suddenly less open than before and had some uncertainty on the progress on the new maps or whether they were still being olanned. Maybe I should go dig out my PMs, or maybe he will pop in to correct me on the topic.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I think Keenan has already mentioned he is in the process already of adding some additional maps (possibly including a "tutorial style map"). They are being called "Presets". He told me he wanted to incorporate some "random generation" features re abandoned cabins dungeons villages  etc, to bolster interest and replayability, and I mentioned I'd prefer random generation *maps*, and he seemed to think that sounded intriguing but didn;t promise anything. If I am not misremberin' our conversation. Sucks being senile some days.

He might have also mentioned his schedule though was suddenly less open than before and had some uncertainty on the progress on the new maps or whether they were still being olanned. Maybe I should go dig out my PMs, or maybe he will pop in to correct me on the topic.

Yeah, my schedule has been flipped all around with a few people leaving the team. I wear many hats at the moment and have more pressing projects to complete before I can get back to these shiny ideas, unfortunately.

I really would like to give people an option to have a map they can explore without first having to build it all themselves or muck about with manually copying details around. Let it be a preset someone else worked on, or (more excitingly) a mode that generates things for you to go and find. I loved my first run through the Adventure map, but that was hand-made by Rolf, Eric, and Alex (and maybe others).

I had recently (few months back) got a friend to play WU with me and we used a rather nice map. It was fun exploring the terrain, but after a while he asked if there was any point to even range out more. It's a 2048 map with two people on it. Sadly, the answer was really no. We had found all the resources we needed within a few locals of our village. Aside from the white light/black light, there was nothing to explore. Seeing all the terrain is one thing, but knowing for a fact that there's nothing interesting to encounter really kills the drive to spend hours running around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

Yeah, my schedule has been flipped all around with a few people leaving the team. I wear many hats at the moment and have more pressing projects to complete before I can get back to these shiny ideas, unfortunately.

I really would like to give people an option to have a map they can explore without first having to build it all themselves or muck about with manually copying details around. Let it be a preset someone else worked on, or (more excitingly) a mode that generates things for you to go and find. I loved my first run through the Adventure map, but that was hand-made by Rolf, Eric, and Alex (and maybe others).

I had recently (few months back) got a friend to play WU with me and we used a rather nice map. It was fun exploring the terrain, but after a while he asked if there was any point to even range out more. It's a 2048 map with two people on it. Sadly, the answer was really no. We had found all the resources we needed within a few locals of our village. Aside from the white light/black light, there was nothing to explore. Seeing all the terrain is one thing, but knowing for a fact that there's nothing interesting to encounter really kills the drive to spend hours running around.

Dig out the old JK Home map from pre 2009 and I swear I will be a nice guy from that moment on :P

Maybe publish the workflow how you create hand-made maps, so community can do that too, or give out some information on how worldmachine must be used to create nice WU maps. Let the community help you, I worked in companies where always someone was leaving the team, it is frustrating and work doesn't get forward. I can understand you.

14 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Dig out the old JK Home map from pre 2009 and I swear I will be a nice guy from that moment on

Pretty Please.  Wurm was so much fun then. I miss Newtown Lag.  :wub:

• Like 1

jenn002-map.png                                                                                              for someone who is better at this than I am. Please make a server with this JK Home map.  

Edited by Lolabelle