Sign in to follow this  
Iberis

Remove unique server wide spawn alerts

1 minute ago, Odynn said:

Or maybe remove uniques altogether since it will always boil to the same issue, some people can't understand that in a sandbox everyone should have a decent chance at things... which doesn't means go steal uniques on another server because <X random crew from a now gone kingdom> stole yours.

Again the old argument. 

No one owns uniques other than the people that find it and kill it.

If you want your server to be private there is a solution for you Odynn, here is your link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/Wurm_Unlimited/

24 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

So you would like to see Niarja and all the twitter broadcasts that run it closed down?

I wouldn't like to see anything in particular aside from people not finding tricks to circumvent whatever the devs decide... or preempt their decision entirely by saying they can just get around it anyway so don't bother type o' thing.

No need to read more into it than that, or try to twist it into anything other than it is. 

"pfft, who cares if the devs shut off the twitter announcement, I'll just use the alt system to get around it regardless of what they want."   That doesn't sound quite right of any player.  Not to mention how confident you are that it's perfectly okay for you to do should devs make a decision you don't like, and confident you can just do that with impunity.  Hope it's not from experience.

• Like 1

I just don't get it. Yes there are organized hunting parties that come to a server when they see an announcement. In return, there was/is a very strong group on Deliverance that has taken against it and searched out uniques, at least to the point where the group I hunted with just stopped going there. The other servers have either failed to form a party, or their party is not efficient in searching, which has an easy fix; get a larger group. Find some friends, stop grinding on deed for a bit and ride around the server - you might actually see something other people have built once in a while.

Yet, here we are. Take a look at Niarja, and take a look at the xanadu cluster. https://www.niarja.com/servers/xanadu

These people that say there is only a few hours before a unique is found and killed, overlook this server. Why? Because it is effort. It's not about being beat by another group... it's about unwillingness to actually put forward effort. These uniques on xanadu are out there, roaming the wild, and anyone who can ride a horse can go search for them... yet, I have not heard of anyone doing so. And with the oldest unpenned unique there being a year and a half old, I seriously doubt anybody is looking.

Even with a server as big as xanadu, 18+ months should be plenty to find a troll king.

Maybe the twitter announcement makes it easier for hunting parties to know which server to look. But the unwillingness of those who cause the drama vs the effort that is put forth by those that hunt in teams is going to be the same, and it will not actually fix the problem - people are still going to be wanting invites to slayings and full chances of loot drops without actually putting in the effort of searching. Rift-style loot handouts will only mean even more private killings, since there is a chance to miss out on loot if you invite people. I can see two ways to prevent this drama: close the server borders and isolate every server so the inhabitants are purely entitled to  -their-  uniques and other server resources. Otherwise, remove the uniques, or their drops, altogether.

1 hour ago, Reylaark said:

"pfft, who cares if the devs shut off the twitter announcement, I'll just use the alt system to get around it regardless of what they want.

Love how you rewrote that to suit what goes on in your mind.

This is how it works, people have alts log in around the clock all the time, this is nothing new, people do it for sermon groups, traders or whatever else turns there fancy, maybe they just monitor there animals, the point is no reason to put a end to this because you are not happy about it.

Scraping the twitter is a silly solution just so you can have your private unique parties at your convenience. 

If you want to slay a dragon go out and look for it, don't want to put the time in, well stop your whining about it.

-1 for no other reason than I like it when I see the notice!  =)

7 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Removing a twitter broadcast will just mean hunters have a alt logged on 24/7 on each server as well, so that does zip, zero, nadda in what you dream of achieving.

\

36 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Love how you rewrote that to suit what goes on in your mind.

This is how it works, people have alts log in around the clock all the time, this is nothing new, people do it for sermon groups, traders or whatever else turns there fancy, maybe they just monitor there animals, the point is no reason to put a end to this because you are not happy about it.

Your first quote is pretty clear, if the devs think removing the twitter broadcast is a good idea(the devs are the only ones who can make that decision), doesn't matter to hunters as they'll then just keep an alt logged in 24/7 on each server.  As you say, removing the twitter feed does zip, zero, nada because you will just use alts to circumvent the intent behind removing the twitter feed in the first place.

What goes on in my mind when I read that is general disdain for your attitude towards what the devs intend.  Understand this, it is not the thought of an alt being on 24/7 that bothers me at all, it's the fact that you're so comfortable about using it to explicitly ignore and invalidate a decision the devs might make.  I find myself questioning how anyone can be so certain there would be no repercussions to that kind of behavior. 

You should know it does get revoked sometimes.  Not including that part of the clip to avoid posting graphic violence.

As for the dragons themselves... It could be a fun, exciting, and social aspect of the game I love to play.

That's assuming the social aspect involves people I'd enjoy hanging out with, and the kind of player intent on hoarding everything, denying other people their occasional chance, ... well, I tend to just ignore people like that in games.  I've seen plenty of examples in DayZ Mod servers.  It's the kind of player who absolutely must have/claim every single mission of value, no matter who else might like a run at one.  I ignore them, let them have their "uniques" and just enjoy other facets of the game.  They eventually get kicked by admin for being such a wank, and the server goes back to being fun for everyone again.

36 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Scraping the twitter is a silly solution just so you can have your private unique parties at your convenience. 

If you want to slay a dragon go out and look for it, don't want to put the time in, well stop your whining about it.

Not sure who you're talking to here.  Zero relation to anything I've ever said.

• Like 1

As for the dragons themselves... It could be a fun, exciting, and social aspect of the game I love to play.

That's assuming the social aspect involves people I'd enjoy hanging out with, [....]

Not sure who you're talking to here.  Zero relation to anything I've ever said.

Although my opinions are usually lightyears away from JakeRivers' ones this time I can't do but fully agree. I simply don't see the point. What is holding back anyone to collect a few friends and go hunt for the uniques? Not any group has any superior tools to find them. Yes you need to go social. Yes you need to put in plenty of time to roam the servers. Yes you need to get organized and work together.

What is a social aspect if not that? What JakeRivers told above is exactly what you asked for on the quote above...

Finding a unique together with your friends is the fun part. The killing is simple slaughter.

Edited by Jaz
corrected names
  • Like 5

I don't understand this problem. Find some friend when the unique spawns and find it, pen it and kill it. It is simple, you need times only and some good fighters.

Ok so this thread went in a direction that I didn't plan or think it would lol.

Just to kinda shed more light onto the reasoning behind my idea... I am part of a sucessful and very organised hunt team. I've found uniques before, I've penned them so this is not a suggestion I'm throwing up for my own personal adgenda as a couple of you seem to be trying to imply. If anything this suggestion would actually likely harm my unique hunting efforts.

For players worried that dragons will eat them, well I think it's good that the game has some element of risk to it. It is not like it is permadeath and on freedom you don't lose your items. Ok it may be difficult to retrieve your corpse alone but if you asked for help I know many would come. Since I've started playing this game I've heard more new players tell me they would love to see and encounter a dragon (or another unique). It's exciting, it's thrilling and dangerous. I've seen a much larger population of new players with this mentality (regardless if they die or not, it's a great story to tell and experience) then players that are too scared or worried to leave deed becayse a unique will kill them. Please bare in mind that uniques also have "snap-points". If you don't want to die then just run in a straight line away from them (not around in a circle like a headless chicken). It will soon stop chasing you and snap back to it's spawn point. Granted, some had larger snapping points regions then others but if you are on a geared horse you shouldn't have any issues imo.

My suggestion is merely here because when one of these server announcements pop up, large groups all pour onto a single server. It does create tension, it has created drama in the past and I'm sure it will create more in the future.

I personally would love to see more different people just randomly stumbling across uniques. In fact I think it's quite boring and a bit too easy when we all know exactly which server to go look on and what type of unique we are hunting for. I'd find it way more exciting if I was just out randomly hunting one day and stumbled across a unique by per puremerit and chance. Then it would be a case of scrambling my hunting party together :)

I know many of you like the current system, but these are my reasons and what I would personally like to see going forward.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alyeska said:

I seriously doubt anybody is looking.

At least one person is ;)

c9d6b9a735.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Although my opinions are usually lightyears away from Jakerivers' ones this time I can't do but fully agree. I simply don't see the point. What is holding back anyone to collect a few friends and go hunt for the uniques? Not any group has any superior tools to find them. Yes you need to go social. Yes you need to put in plenty of time to roam the servers. Yes you need to get organized and work together.

What is a social aspect if not that? What Jakerivers told above is exactly what you asked for on the quote above...

Finding a unique together with your friends is the fun part. The killing is simple slaughter.

These types of threads have appeared in the past.  Some participants in these threads, who from observation seem to be perfectly fine players and not "whiners," tend to mention the same ghostly group of MR jumping on every unique like flies on... that stuff.

I'm kinda thinkin' they can't all be wrong, or just easily dismissed as whiners.

Anyone suggesting a change is accused of wanting "private parties at their convenience," when they've not only made no mention of such a thing, but genuinely aren't looking for that and really couldn't care less.

No particular skin off my back, I stay away largely because of the tensions and drama Iberis mentions above.  If whatever MR group must have everything so badly that they wind up ruining the experience for others, no desire to partake.  It's like if you put me and a band of misfits on a field against the New England Patriots.  The first time would surely be a thrill, painful, but awesome.  The next few times, holy cow, madness.  Bring it on though, still got a few ideas in mind.  By the 366th time... not fun anymore folks.  Step off the field for a bit so we can play and have fun?  Thanks!

I really only posted in this thread initially because Faty's suggestion of actually tracking the beast sounded really fun, and would play well with what Iberis was suggesting as well.

The fact that I've continued to post is really only because Jake's hubris and confident belief that he can easily skirt whatever decision the devs make using alts rubbed me the wrong way.  No player is that special or important.  All of us should feel equally accountable, and if he doesn't, I question why.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

The fact that I've continued to post is really only because Jake's hubris and confident belief that he can easily skirt whatever decision the devs make using alts rubbed me the wrong way.  No player is that special or important.  All of us should feel equally accountable, and if he doesn't, I question why.

As far as I'm aware, any player can create alts. It's not reserved for the special or important, and it's not an offence for which people need to be held accountable. Neither, as the rules currently stand, is killing uniques. As Jaz said, it's not like the uniques system favours any one group over another. It's the people who are the most organized and motivated who end up getting the uniques. If you don't like it, get your own group more organized and motivated.

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

20 minutes ago, Attenia said:

As far as I'm aware, any player can create alts. It's not reserved for the special or important, and it's not an offence for which people need to be held accountable. Neither, as the rules currently stand, is killing uniques. As Jaz said, it's not like the uniques system favours any one group over another. It's the people who are the most organized and motivated who end up getting the uniques. If you don't like it, get your own group more organized and motivated.

I underlined the pertinent part of the sentence you quoted.  I crossed out the part that really doesn't make a difference.  Hopefully that helps.  If anyone doesn't get what I'm saying by now, I don't think there's really any other way I can get the point across.

As for making my own group... don't see why I would.  Sure, I could pull out a switchblade and fight those annoying kids always hogging the basketball court... or I could just figure they're not remotely worth the time and move on.  Maybe some day I'll live in a town where people think it's perfectly fine to trade use of the court once in a while.

Maybe I won't, I really don't care about basketball that much anyway.  Certainly not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Now if one of those hoodlums starts disrespecting the groundskeepers that keep the court in good condition?  Yeah, that's worth a blade.  No hoodlum is that special or important.  If they think it's perfectly fine to behave that way, gotta wonder where or why they got that idea, and hopefully dispel the notion though some hoodlums just really aren't that bright.

Now whippersnappers, they'd understand right off the bat.  Literally, bat is far more effective than blade there.

Evidently I'm getting too tired to really care anymore.  Either y'all get it, or ya don't.  Pretty sure some do.

Have fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeryck said:

At least one person is ;)

Make that 2, lol, my latest fruitless search, but was fun 2 hours climbing a peak and first death since leaving chaos, lol rip res stone, scratch this spot of your search:

nqgEjbT.png

Just shut down that dumb Niarja website, buncha cheaters really.

• Like 1

But yeah there are 7* (unless some tweets didn't get sent out) Uniques just wandering around Xanadu waiting to be captured. The server is large and they get stuck in strange places. One day I was bored so I went and found this one that spawned at server launch (1+ year old at the time). If you want 'em, go grab 'em. I don't think you can argue a shortage when nearly a dozen have been available for 2+ months.

*free charcoal i

2 hours ago, Chakron said:

But yeah there are 7+

Bunch of uniques left roaming on large servers. Trouble being they are LARGE servers and the roaming crews rather come to the smaller servers despite having active hunting groups to 'steal' the uniques. Hence my suggestion of having said uniques relocate themselves after a while in a hopefully more active spot. The whole tracking idea also makes sense to find them too.

And no Jake, telling everyone to leave the game is not the option. Many of us already own WU but still play WO with our friends and the community WE enjoy. Having someone decide all uniques, land, ressources belong to him and his group is wrong and would never go well in a real sandbox (you know, the kiddy playgrounds with ... sand and authority figures keeping things in check). Chasing people away, bullying them on the forum, harrasing them in game will only get you so far.

Uniques are a cesspool right now, they are not fun, they bring drama, tension and troubles. The whole you should organise yourself better is not the mentality of the freedom isles, it is not players versus players, it is not a matter of going to a server despite the people looking for the uniques themselves and reap the rewards leaving them nothing.

Help them hunt the critter, slay it with them and share an enjoyable time... unless the only goal is to keep all the rewards to yourself which get us to the last point... the real money value and greed of some players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odynn said:

hunting groups to 'steal' the uniques.

they are not 'your' uniques till you kill it

there is zero 'stealing' involved

nice of you to mention the money value, what do you do with your shares?

give it to charity?

lol

If you capture a unique on any server, good for you do what you want with it its yours

If you don't gather more people and learn to hunt better instead of complaining on the forums about it

If someone comes to your server to hunt uniques and beats you its no-ones fault but your own, you have the upper hand knowing the server, already having horses, knowing people on the server that could help with the search not having to travel etc

If someone finds a unique and doesn't do a public slaying its just a 2 silver potion who cares

• Like 2

Can we lease not derail this thread, it's not about complaining about who gets uniques. It was a suggestion about making them more difficult to find and illusive.

This was not a thread made to target anyone or any particular groups so please don't use it to name people :(

Was just an idea I was floating and talking about to some of my friends and they liked the sound of it.

• Like 1

A better solution would be to up the frequency of spawns (and add a de-spawn mechanism after some time of not being killed) - if the loot becomes so common that it's no longer worth roaming around with your ex-chaos buddies to kill every unique when it pops, the drama will fade as well.

Look at what rift loot is worth - people who go to rifts generally do it because they want to go to a rift, not because they can get valuable stuff.  As the owner of a few drake sets, I'd be completely happy if the real world value dropped off significantly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Reylaark, here is your answer for no more worries about unique spawns:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/Wurm_Unlimited/

Play solo, make a server, set your own rules!

I'm going to give your intelligence the benefit of the the doubt that you know you're completely off the mark, but just doing it on purpose. 

Still, someone who so nonchalantly thumbs their nose at the powers [that be] should be looked at.  The behavior was learned somewhere along the way, and not by towing the line.

2 hours ago, Iberis said:

Can we lease not derail this thread, it's not about complaining about who gets uniques. It was a suggestion about making them more difficult to find and illusive.

It sounds as though the problem isn't so much with the dragons, but the size of the terrain they hide in.  Larger servers allow them to be illusive, smaller servers allow them to be found perhaps too quickly to give the less experienced a chance.

Wonder if a more specifically targeted solution exists.

Maybe "practice" uniques of equal behavior and power, but lesser value to the pros.  If they can handle letting the less experienced go for those, since the newer players largely just want the experience more than the profit, might be one idea.

I think you did mention part of the inspiration for this suggestion was your interaction with interested newer players... hope I got that right.

Edited by Reylaark
[that be] was missing

not to derail but it could help with the "issue" add mini uniques that don't get server alerts and randomly spawn and are killable by 2+ people depending on account strength/gear and give a minimal fraction of hide/scale (maybe like the same as if you were in a big slaying 0.01 or something), blood because none of it is really useful anyway and no tomes but do give the same titles.  decent middle ground and won't flood anything, and anyone can enjoy killing them with a few friends at random

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MrGARY said:

add mini uniques that don't get server alerts and randomly spawn and are killable by 2+ people depending on account strength/gear and give a minimal fraction of hide/scale (maybe like the same as if you were in a big slaying 0.01 or something), blood because none of it is really useful anyway and no tomes but do give the same titles.  decent middle ground and won't flood anything, and anyone can enjoy killing them with a few friends at random

Not a bad idea. Might want to increase a bit the amount (0.01 means killing 600 of them for a scale set...) depending on the frequency of them.

A generic blood for them would also be a good idea. 'Strange blood' + source salt > Alchemic base. Alchemic base + <insert ingredients> --> different potions (including the ones we have currently no access to)