Sign in to follow this  
Iberis

Remove unique server wide spawn alerts

So with Uniques there is always a cloud of drama that follows them. It also seems to be the same groups that find the Uniques as well. What I think will be a good solution would be to remove the server wide messages that alert everyone when a unique spawns.

Doing this will mean that players who are just out hunting will stumble across uniques and then will have to figure out how to handle them. It also means while there will still be unique hunting teams going around searching for uniques there will be less people in a small area all looking for the same unique and being in different hunt teams. Aka less drama.

So this over all will likely mean that players who are locals on their own server are more likely to find and kill uniques. Players who are not part of hunt teams might get a chance at finding and interacting with them. Less drama over all.

• Like 4

+1, will help stop certain groups from hording all the uniques

• Like 1

Remove twitter broadcast would be a start, increasing the spawn frequency as well would help. And relocating them after <insert amounts of days> would fix the impossible to find ones on large servers.

• Like 4

Removing the announcement  would help reduce the drama, but it is nice to know that there's actually something out there.  Unfortunately, I can't see a way of doing that easily without essentially replicating the current problem.  At least with the current system, the locals have a chance to beat the roving MR hunt band, if they can get organised quickly enough. 

Increasing the spawn rate would probably help with this, and making unfound uniques decamp to a new, random location would be good too.

• Like 1

+/-1 whatever

theres more things wrong with uniques than what simply removing the server message can do. this change will result in basically nothing.

+1

Another thing that can be done is to remove all the ways the uniques can be trapped (don't let them go underground, this will also be a way to escape them), so people either run away from them or organise a slaying party in the open, distributing scale/drake and blood the way it's distributed now, plus the rest of the items (bone, tome, etc) can be distributed randomly directly in the inventory of the slayers, just like the rifts work, maybe slightly based on the "participation" in killing it... i'm not sure what can be done with the body and the butchered stuff though.. only brainstorming here.. :) Hunting parties will always exist, but I like the idea of not knowing when they spawn, that way explorers have an extra quest, and maybe hunters will roam around more and more...

Something i would also enjoy seeing is for the uniques to move around a bit if not discovered and/or, depending on the time since they spawned (I'm talking 1-2 months later at least), to leave signs in local.. some dragons might burn down trees, the white ones can freeze areas (turning them to winter tiles), the troll king could leave a trail of cut trees behind him, the goblin leader could kill animals and leave the hearts on the ground, also dragon/other roars once in a while would be awesome :)

This would increase the immersion, make uniques more scary, harder to slay and available to anyone that is willing to look for them.

Edited by faty
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, faty said:

Something i would also enjoy seeing is for the uniques to move around a bit if not discovered and/or, depending on the time since they spawned (I'm talking 1-2 months later at least), to leave signs in his local.. some dragons might burn down trees, the white ones can freeze areas (turning them to winter tiles), the troll king could leave a trail of cut trees behind him, the goblin leader could kill animals and leave the hearts on the ground, also dragon/other roars once in a while would be awesome :)

This would increase the immersion, make uniques more scary, harder to slay and available to anyone that is willing to look for them.

^+1  love the idea of dragon hunters out in the woods looking for signs, tracking them.  Brings Aragorn to mind.

I would expect strong resistance from the "MR roaming band," if only behind the scenes, so wouldn't get any hopes up, but it really does sound like fun.

Throw in tracking improvements, and you've got a whole new advanced profession in the works.

I don't know, I once ran in to a dragon on a WU server and even thou I was in a cart on a server with a cart speed mod there was no way I could outrun it.

It went on for like an hour with me driving the cart like a maniac and the dragon scratching my back till I died.

Was one of the most scary events in my wurm life.

I feel safer with our hunting team on Deli tracking down those scary creatures.

I'd like at least the ig message as a warning on local server only and skip the tweet.

• Like 1

I agree with Cecci, I'd not like to run into a dragon when I'm wandering around the server alone. That's just a recipe for disaster. As far as I'm concerned, hunting parties as soon as they spawn are a good thing. I suppose it wouldn't matter too much if the twitter alert was taken away, but there should still be an alert in the event window for those online.

7 hours ago, Odynn said:

Remove twitter broadcast would be a start, increasing the spawn frequency as well would help. And relocating them after <insert amounts of days> would fix the impossible to find ones on large servers.

What, you want dragons handed to you on a silver platter?

Also it is sensible to know when uniques spawn, unchecked uniques can destroy a deed in a few days, not nice for someone who did not log in or check's in on deeds often.

Removing a twitter broadcast will just mean hunters have a alt logged on 24/7 on each server as well, so that does zip, zero, nadda in what you dream of achieving.

\

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

What's with all of the hunting and penning hate? Nothing stops ANY player from hunting and penning a Unique. The only reason they are reserved for the few is because few make the effort to find them. Making them harder to find and preventing control of them is just going to result in greater demand and bat-######-rage responses when they are contested.

On smaller servers I will admit there is only about a 48 hour window to find one before the hunters get to it but how often is the unique found randomly in the 48 hour period by wandering players? Not announcing its presence isn't going to increase the number of incidental finds. It is only going to make hunters work harder, which maybe wouldn't be unfair, but why should they?

The ONLY broken mechanic is the players willingness to hunt and share.

I have considered the idea of Tracking activities triggering the spawn too but this would mainly make it easier for existing hunters. There are still more organized hunter groups than there are disorganized solo-hunters. Any change to make finding Uniques easier is just going to make it easier for Hunters too.

• Like 3

Be kinda a blow to a server to only learn they had a unique running around when it died too I would think. =p

• Like 1

-1 Would do nothing. for Dragon Drama, There are players out there that hunt the servers everyday for dragons its what they do.

• Like 3

Your main motivation seems to avoid drama, but just trying to put a veil of silence on things doesn't help anything and doesn't address the underlying problem why there's drama to begin with.

I agree that hogging the uniques isn't optimal, regardless of wether dedicated hunter groups or random people do it, but with the current system it is what it is, with or without announcement. You wanna make sure noone else takes it when you're off your wurm schedule, so I agree somewhat with Aeryck here, there is a distinct lack of incentive to share the creatures to the public.

(Although I don't understand why it's not done more on Freedom; if you've deeded over the pen noone can actually take it away, but the public could go into local to at least get some blood?

That is, IF you deeded over it, this implies another problem with the current "free for all" approach...)

Edited by Flubb

57 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Removing a twitter broadcast will just mean hunters have a alt logged on 24/7 on each server as well, so that does zip, zero, nadda in what you dream of achieving.

Disconnect for inactivity.  Can't stay active 24/7 right?  Presumably can't stay active unless you're actually there.

Still, if for some odd reason the devs decided to stop the twitter announcements, saying you'll just find a way to circumvent their decision anyway so their decision is irrelevant doesn't seem entirely cool.

14 minutes ago, Flubb said:

(Although I don't understand why it's not done more on Freedom; if you've deeded over the pen noone can actually take it away, but the public could go into local to at least get some blood?

I think part of the reason it's not done more on Freedom is what people are upset about, if I'm understanding correctly, people are upset that rather than locals hunting and getting the spoils, uniques get poached and spoils taken back to Chaos.

I tend to go with the " Cup your hands on your ears and ignore the actual problem" option.  ^_^  I think attempting to disturb the status quo enjoyed by those who currently benefit is a bit of a fool's errand.  I've always enjoyed Wurm without dealing with any of that stuff simply because the "clique" aspect of it sounds like a pain in the arse.

Maybe on a WU server someday.

1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

Disconnect for inactivity.  Can't stay active 24/7 right?  Presumably can't stay active unless you're actually there.

Still, if for some odd reason the devs decided to stop the twitter announcements, saying you'll just find a way to circumvent their decision anyway so their decision is irrelevant doesn't seem entirely cool.

isnt a thing, wont happen.

do you really want to **** over every single existing and future sermon party? why should people even bother premming sermon alts then?

Replace the text prompts with roaring and screaming...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arium said:

isnt a thing, wont happen.

do you really want to **** over every single existing and future sermon party? why should people even bother premming sermon alts then?

The disconnect for inactivity is what you're referring to.

Someone holding dev decisions hostage by announcing they'll just find a way around it anyway is what I was referring to.  Talk to them.  "they can't do anything about my workaround because it'll screw up all sermon parties" isn't very cool of them either so yeah, take it up with them.

imho, what isn't a thing and won't happen is any change to uniques that would adversely effect the current beneficiaries so honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

Adding a +1 to Klaa's suggestion :P

2 hours ago, Aeryck said:

What's with all of the hunting and penning hate? Nothing stops ANY player from hunting and penning a Unique. The only reason they are reserved for the few is because few make the effort to find them. Making them harder to find and preventing control of them is just going to result in greater demand and bat-######-rage responses when they are contested.

On smaller servers I will admit there is only about a 48 hour window to find one before the hunters get to it but how often is the unique found randomly in the 48 hour period by wandering players? Not announcing its presence isn't going to increase the number of incidental finds. It is only going to make hunters work harder, which maybe wouldn't be unfair, but why should they?

It's probably more like a few hours most of the time, because once the message is on twitter, the hunting parties start looking for them all over the server..

But if you don't see any messages of them spawning, no twitter, no server message, nobody knows if one has spawned.. so even if there are people that look around the server 24/7 for them, I'm pretty sure they will get bored eventually and it will be found mostly by explorers, hunters or unlucky travelers (which should be fine since it's PVE, and the 'E' should strike back once in a while..).

What I'm getting at with this is work/reward.. is one thing to login in as soon as you see a new spawn on niarja or twitter and run around the server non-stop for a few hours until it's found, and an entirely different thing to be prepared to do that as a marathon all day long since you don't know if there is one spawned or not.. I think this will eventually thin out the professional search parties, and make them available to a larger range of players, either they want it or not, depending on who finds who :)

-1  If you aren't willing to go out and find the unique yourself, why should others be stopped from doing so?  That's what you are really complaining about.  There have always been groups that hunt the uniques down, and it used to be much worse.  I remember when dragons have out full hides at butchering, the hunts were always exclusive, and only the invited group could attend.  And uniques didn't respawn back then, so when a new server came up the first thing that happened was all the dragons got found, caged, and killed by the invited group.  I only got to see one dragon kill attempt back then, and it was for a dragon that had accidentally gotten to be impossible to kill.  We got slaughtered.  Two weeks later the coding was changed so it was possible to kill, and the private group took it out.  Since the changes to dragons I have attended 3 dragon kills, and gotten a bit of hide each time.  I'm happy with the new situation, let it be.

-1, give everyone the same announcement and shot at riding around and finding the unique I say.

• Like 2

Or maybe remove uniques altogether since it will always boil to the same issue, some people can't understand that in a sandbox everyone should have a decent chance at things... which doesn't means go steal uniques on another server because <X random crew from a now gone kingdom> stole yours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

So you would like to see Niarja and all the twitter broadcasts that run it closed down?