Sign in to follow this  
Kurson

Shortsword - nimb or woa?

Hey, idk if this is the right place to ask this, but anyway. Decided for my next weapon to be a shortsword with large metal shield and I'm not sure which option is better - getting woa for reduced swing or nimble for added CR.

Some additional info - this is for PvE, I have 80fs already so more CR won't do much i guess, but at the same time woa can't reduce swing below 3 seconds.

So is it worth it getting woa to get a consistent 3s swing, or am i better off getting nimble?

Thanks.

Have you tried nib and dual-wielding SS in aggressive stance?  You might find that to be interesting...

• Like 2

I just recently took shortsword to 70.  I did it with rare shortsword at 95ql with nimble, coc, LT, mindstealer, and AD.  rare Large Wood shield.  Rare chainmail, rare great helm.  Here's how I faired...

My stance - aggresive.  Already have normal and defensive at 70+, aggresive it is.. I also want the faster swing timer to offset the lesser dmg per hit

My shortsword - I went with nimble as shortswords already deal less dmg and with an already fast swing timer I can make up for less dmg by ensuring I hit as often as I can.  I have just over 50 body str so that also makes up for lesser dmg.

My Shield - went with large wood instead of metal or even another short sword.  Why?  I'm already a capable fighter, I wanted to truly test what I can do with the handicap a shortsword provides.  Drake and my 70 skill in LMS just don't allow for it.  So large wood shield and rare chainmail it was.  I got my feedback and got to work on a new shield type for diversity in the field.

My Armor - Rare chainmail, 80ql+, all aosp (just didn't have access to web).  I wanted feedback, anyone with a 2h axe or 2h maul and drake can pawn a troll... the real test is fighting an aged troll on foot with chainmail, wood shield, and a shortsword.  Not everyone can do it.  I was satisfied with my outcome.

Took me appr. 3 weeks in total, 1 week of just mucking about as i was offdeed, roughly 2 weeks of hunting on deli and cele to get 70+.  Definately fun, learned I'm as decent as I hope I'd be.   Once I get 70 in every weapon and shield type I'll be right where I want to be.

I could have done it in less then 2 weeks with drake, large metal shield or even an offhand shortsword.  It's not hard.  I recommend Accuracy enchants and setups over faster timers.  Shortswords glanced, got parried, and just plain missed more then other weapons I found.  I personally found more hits per second didn't equate to more dmg.  Seemed like making each hit count was better.

I'd be curious to see what others found, I don't know anyone personally ingame that's skilled this weapon.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

From what I know nimble wouldn't help with glances, it raises cr by 1 for every 33 power(?). So, let's say I have 15cr base and opponent has 15cr hypothetically.

I would then have 15/30 chance to hit so 50%. Add 3cr to that makes it 18/33 chance which is about 55%. So overall seems like 10% more hits landed in that case.

For woa to have a better effect, shortsword timer should be around 3.5s so that it is lowered to 3s. Anyone knows about how often do you hit with 3s swing and how often 4s? If it's 50/50 then I would go woa.

Thanks for good insights.

base swing timer would be 3s, +0.5s for using agg/normal, so 3.5 is your real base swing timer.  but swing timer is reduced up to 10% as you gain weaponskill so ultimately the timer will end up around 3.15s and as you gain skill woa will have diminishing effect right off the bat.  so since this is pve i'd 100% recommend nimble

• Like 2

Thanks for all the good info guys. Decided to get woa :) can close i guess.