Sign in to follow this  
LorenaMontana

The state of Epic

Epic is a easier start but let's think, when you grind, you need a safe spot, collect resources etc, by time you do this, you could have been killed ten times by a player and ransacked for everything, so there is a chance it could be faster at the start but we all know it goes slower after 50, if you even get that far. For me, I'd start on freedom, I'm in a peaceful area with nobody trying to loot or stop my progress, sure I don't get that curve at the start, but I'm setting up that peaceful grind area where I won't be disturbed, ofc some stats on epic will still be better. 

We know the devs don't want to delete any server or map, they have to meet us the players half way and just end this split we have which is not good for the game

• Like 2

On 03/09/2017 at 7:03 AM, BeardedMan said:

If you're smart, the worst anyone is likely to do is bash some walls, mess up some terraforming, cut some trees, drop dirt on your crops and maybe kill your animals. You can easily put people off form doing these things by not advertising your stuff in public, by keeping good items off world on alts and making sure people know your place isn't built by a newb that's easy pickings. Ain't no one going to spend the time bashing into a deed for no loot

bash walls, mess terra forming... kill animals... Yeah i can see why people would want to stay on PvE. Keeping good items off world on alts seems more like an exploit than a legit method to not get your stuff raided so that alone is a super unappealing side to PvP. And since you know more about epic right now i'll assume you are right about nobody bashing into a dead looking area. But if the island was much more populated with people, the chance of a person searching through a dead place would be greater. When playing minecraft factions servers (I'm asshamed of myself now, dont worry) I attempted making damaged looking bases with hidden chests in the floors or ceiling. People took the effort of breaking in to find it still. Could have been chest finder cheats or a person really scavenging, I dont know. 

Not saying PvP sucks, but don't try advertising the things PvE players will like and not the PvP aspects. You may be okay with your 5s horses dying, but PvE people often don't like starting from scratch. Especially when they have to start over because another person felt like ruining their day.

1 hour ago, Mclavin said:

Epic is a easier start but let's think, when you grind, you need a safe spot, collect resources etc, by time you do this, you could have been killed ten times by a player and ransacked for everything, so there is a chance it could be faster at the start but we all know it goes slower after 50, if you even get that far. For me, I'd start on freedom, I'm in a peaceful area with nobody trying to loot or stop my progress, sure I don't get that curve at the start, but I'm setting up that peaceful grind area where I won't be disturbed, ofc some stats on epic will still be better. 

We know the devs don't want to delete any server or map, they have to meet us the players half way and just end this split we have which is not good for the game

So another chaos, just without the items transfers? Why would i wait stop at 50skill when i could get to 90skill at absolutely no risk. 

Edited by Yiraia
Added comment to Mclavin

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

For people with skills on both sides, it will take the highest skill and make it so for both, simple.

the problem is that aside from skills, you got accounts on different med paths, different priests, different tome use on each cluster, thats not the easy part to fix so it depends how deep it really goes

if skills were merged minus faith/alignment, then it could work for as long as we have separate clusters

if tomes were not merged then it could work for separate clusters again except im sure most that have won/purchased/etc tomes on either cluster would like to use them on the other

if med paths were not merged it well, wont really work because if you got 70 on epic and merge skills to freedom you'll still have to wait half a year to advance

it's not very simple thats why i feel like i posted previously, have it an optional choice to merge all of this so those unaffected negatively by any merging can freely do it and those that will get affected negatively can made an educated decision on what to do, at least until a better option arrives.  importantly, if something like this happened, then all new accounts should automatically be pre-merged to prevent any future issues and limit it to the few there may be

edit:  just also forgot to add that can probably have a choice of partial merge, merge skills / med / faith / tome / anything else and have it all options to do one, some, or all, then at least can merge skills even if affected poorly if merging med path etc

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 3

I agree with the problems you listed and i liked the solutions. Maybe you put a red cherry for fun on epic but don't want it on your freedom account - I can see that being an issue.

I'd say keep tombs cluster based with a choice to merge them. 
Meditation paths, there could be a path check when crossing to ask if you want to swap the path you're on for either of the others, this would take your path level on epic as your max. So level 9 on epic would be choice for level 9 on freedom?

Agree with automatic merging of new accounts. 

I think what I posted is the best choice for wurm as a whole tho, it defo beats any reset/delete of a cluster. 

Side note: how would gods work, if you're a god on epic or a demi god and cross to freedom, would you keep it?

7 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Keeping good items off world on alts seems more like an exploit than a legit method to not get your stuff raided so that alone is a super unappealing side to PvP.

I totally agree with this.  If anyone with valuables can just log them out on an alt, what's the point of "full-loot" PVP at all?  Encouraged altitis taken just a bit too far I guess.  I used to play MUDs where every time you logged out all your possessions dropped to the floor, you could store in a castle but it was subject to attack. 

Any Freedomer who wants to keep their skills and go PVP already has the option.  Why repeat it yet again ad infinium on Epic?  If that's not enough, put up a new PVP server on Freedom, but I don't get the feeling "we need more room on Chaos" is the message of this thread.  If anything, there is some strange desire to PVP by those afraid of Chaos.  I don't think that desire is capable of repopulating Epic.  If anything a convoluted merge will open more loopholes and make things even more weird and lopsided. 

Side note: how would gods work, if you're a god on epic or a demi god and cross to freedom, would you keep it?

The whole religion carries over, so the player's "godhood" may as well too.  That's about the only thing we should be sharing between clusters.  Of course, if we turned off new gods for a couple years I think that might be a good thing, there's more than enough already.  (Note: that's assuming "godhood" is nothing more than a title, freedom doesn't have room for mega-champions so "title-only" carryover)

Final thought: Do we really want to try and encourage emigration away from Freedom when it barely has enough players as it is? 

8 hours ago, Belgrim said:

Final thought: Do we really want to try and encourage emigration away from Freedom when it barely has enough players as it is? 

When people can go back and forth at will, there is no emigration. Many old Epic players will most likely come back now that there is more people and they can take their accounts to freedom. Dead server is what keeps those away. I think this benefits both clusters. It wont be any more different than Freedomers going to Chaos to pvp.

I like the merging skills idea, as long as its just skills. Tomes, titles, etc can easily be kept separate, as bringing Tomes from Epic to Chaos can cause balancing issues given how easier they are to obtain on Epic. Paths can be the same on both clusters to prevent people from leveling 2 paths (Knowledge on Freedom, Insanity on Epic for example). There are ways to approach the subject, it just needs to be tried and tested.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2017 at 4:28 AM, Mclavin said:

They just need to allow us to cross as we please from both epic and freedom, reinvent epic as the go-to pvp cluster and have the freedomers able to have all the mechanics they want without effecting pvp.
The biggest thing is the barrier, when you make a new char, you get confronted with the choice, Epic or Freedom? Where do you invest your time? History says epic is and even if it picks up could be again a dead cluster, chaos isn't that much better.
So many people from Freedom would like to cross and pvp then return to their simple freedom lives, many people on epic want a break from the constant dangers and make a deed in peace on freedom, why keep us separated?

Let's be clear, valrei changes will do nothing for chaos, these are Epic based updates, so we're basically blocking out the freedom pvp side - for no reason.
Wurm staff are clear that they understand the grind is long and it takes to long to get into pvp - Why are we asking both Epic or Freedom, to play a different cluster you need to do that grind again?
This would pretty much stop any cluster / account being 'dead' as you'd always have a choice to play among a community, not a 3 person populated server.

So when we speak of advertisement, which cluster/server are we advertising? Freedom? Chaos? Epic? Surely you need to spend atleast 2x the amount because if you want people to come Epic, you need Epic specific advertisement and if you want people to go Chaos/Freedom, you need to be clear on that aswell. You can't have same advertisement, because if all your new players come in and nobody chooses epic, all your work and updates were for nothing. Again, remove the barrier, let people cross how they please.

You're essentially splitting the player base into 2 communities even tho there are calls to have us joined.

No items will cross, just silver as it is already - skills will transfer.

For people with skills on both sides, it will take the highest skill and make it so for both, simple.

+1

could at least get some weekend warriors trying pvp out.  Meditation needs to be done with on epic if im going to bother though.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:27 AM, Palgolak said:

I've never played on Epic, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but how about making it free-to-play? (In other words, remove the skill caps on non-premium accounts.)

I'm down.

In further reply to the above, I really like this concept. Imagine a heaving Epic full of these f2ps and still putting mucho silver in to the game. Many, in the thousands probably would be turned on to the slower more stable pay to play game aspects, either moving or playing both clusters. Wurm completely "saved", thriving and especially Epic which would be even more of a blast than before (excepting lag issus). Then you'll have the return of the now high skilled too, we who care and obviously that'd be enjoyable.

I built it once there, a mighty citadel to house 100+ fighters but they did not come. I'd redo it if there was any hope of a thriving Epic. Amen. Were they right to sell their characters when Epic was still viable? I used to think not but I'm sitting on that one, hopefully if CC wants to do something easy and drastically different there are worse ideas. GV was free and pretty fun too. Epic as f2p full skills man, anyone else see this as viable?

Edited by Silures