Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

Farewell DNPA

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

So this deed had less than 2s left in it and no active players, so it would of disbanded in a month or so anyways, what is the big deal that someone hit the token for a drain, all they did was put it out of its misery sooner.

It did have active players, or at least one, and it's alwyas had around 2 silver, to prevent large losses if drained, 300 silver would not have prevented it falling, the upkeep was topped up to keep it over the 30 days regularly.

The problem, and it's a problem for almost every Epic deed, is the low population, especially when raiders deliberately -pick times when population is at it's lowest.

I accept that it's demise was inevitable, because no matter how high you build the walls, how strong the token walls and gates are, without players every deed will fall, perhaps we should put them all out of their misery?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Firestarter said:

While it's certainly sad that we had such little numbers to be able to defend, what I'm still trying to wrap my head around is what the group stood to gain from doing this? It had already been looted to hell and back, all valuables on deed and on active villagers had already been taken. It's not a case of attempting to gain land like on Elevation or Chaos. There was literally just under 2 silver in the token. Was it really worth the time and effort to get that? Was it really worth detracting from the already dwindling numbers as villagers cease to log in because they can no longer provide any sort of match, or defense, against the attacking party?

I think its the experience and self gratification of accomplishing something. Wether good or bad, they set sail for serenity, found a place they could raid and raided it. I very much doubt they came looking for riches. In a low pop place such as Epic people take their small victories where they can.

Why do you kick a rock in the middle of the road? Why do you crush a beer can when you are done drinking it? Its just a matter of doing, more than planning. I dont know what motivation the perpetrators have, but I can see why anyone would do it. They did it because they could. Its human nature.

Its the instant gratification generation thats for sure - who cares if we destroy the game and drive everyone else off, we dont want opposition anyway, we want to stroke our d*^ks and feel good about ourselves since were really ###### otherwise. Emoo basically pout it that way when he said he wanted MR to be the only group on Chaos.

The pvp side is dying rapidly anyway, in the long run maybe Rakki and his VD group did the game a favor by speeding up the time when Buddha has to make that inevitable decision to shut epic down

• Like 1

To be fair, its a pvp cluster. We cant fault people for disbanding deeds as intended. 

I'm not,  jsut saying I think they were d&%ks since this is already a dying cluster, and jsut stating what I think of those actions.

Its a shame is dying. I just recently started Epic and I love the maps. WTB PvP Elevation Map on Freedom Cluster :P

The whole point of DNPA was to provide new players with some orientation, a little help getting themselves started on servers which can be attacked at almost any time.

This, in my opinion, became even more important when new, non premium players joined the server and saw no one in local, due to the anti-spy measures which means non premiums have no idea who's in local at all.

This isn't to say that DNPA couldn't or shouldn't have been attacked, it's part of a PvP server, on a PvP cluster, no one is supposed to be completely safe outside Strongbox, nor am I saying that it should have been exempt from draining, as part of the spoils of a PvP raid.

I don't blame Rakki for taking advantage of a very low population to pop over and drain a deed or two, it's probably easier to do with no one online to defend...

I'm just saddened at the fall of a deed that did so much to try to make new players welcome, teach and inform, help and support, it produced 2 fine CA's and encouraged another to become one as well, all because the ethos of DNPA was that it wasn't about the glory of DNPA, but about the people who made Serenity a large and vibrant community in it's earliest years, it was about helping and encouraging others to play Wurm in a PvP setting.

DNPA's decline is Epic's decline, it's a symptom of the issues facing Epic at present, with population so low that today I was the only player on the whole server for three hours, and only 12 on the whole cluster, (The only time I've ever seen the  'no other players are on Serenity' message when using /who).

At this point I'm almost ready to give up myself, but I can't, I was one of the first on the server way back when it all began, I'll be one of the last off it if I can help it.

I've seen people advise consolidation, banding together to defend at least one well built deed, but frankly, at the moment there's more uniques than players, even if we all lived in one big deed we're all from so many differnig time zones that the same situation could happen again due to low, or zero population.

I honestly hope this is rock bottom for Epic, because at the moment it's looking pretty bleak most days, and it'll be a sad day when Jahpeople finally logs off for the last time ...

Edited by Zenity
Spelling
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, Zenity said:

The whole point of DNPA was to provide new players with some orientation, a little help getting themselves started on servers which can be attacked at almost any time.

This, in my opinion, became even more important when new, non premium players joined the server and saw no one in local, due to the anti-apy measures which means non premiums have no idea who's in local at all.

This isn't to say that DNPA couldn't or shouldn't have been attacked, it's part of a PvP server, on a PvP cluster, no one is supposed to be completely safe outside Strongbox, nor am I saying that it should have been exempt from draining, as part of the spoils of a PvP raid.

I don't blame Rakki for taking advantage of a very low population to pop over and drain a deed or two, it's probably easier to do with no one online to defend...

I'm just saddened at the fall of a deed that did so much to try to make new players welcome, teach and inform, help and support, it produced 2 fine CA's and encouraged another to become one as well, all because the ethos of DNPA was that it wasn't about the glory of DNPA, but about the people who made Serenity a large and vibrant community in it's earliest years, it was about helping and encouraging others to play Wurm in a PvP setting.

DNPA's decline is Epic's decline, it's a symptom of the issues facing Epic at present, with population so low that today I was the only player on the whole server for three hours, and only 12 on the whole cluster, The only time I've ever seen the  'no other players are on Serenity' message when using /who).

At this point I'm almost ready to give up myslef, but I can't, I was one of the first on the server way back when it all began, I'll be one of the last off it if I can help it.

I've seen people advise consolidation, banding together to defend at least one well built deed, but frankly, at the moment there's more uniques than players, even if we all lived in one big deed we're all from so many differnig time zones that the same situation could happen again due to low, or zero population.

I honestly hope this is rock bottom for Epic, because at the moment it's looking pretty bleak most days, and it'll be a sad day when Jahpeople finally logs off for the last time ...

978jMd2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zenity said:

The problem, and it's a problem for almost every Epic deed, is the low population, especially when raiders deliberately -pick times when population is at it's lowest.

I thought epic had all these anti spy measures so no one knows which sever has a low pop.

Granted if the entire epic cluster is at a low populations can be figured out I imagine.

Sad to see deeds go, but it is how it is.

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I thought epic had all these anti spy measures so no one knows which sever has a low pop.

Granted if the entire epic cluster is at a low populations can be figured out I imagine.

Sad to see deeds go, but it is how it is.

that feature has been broken since they added it

people complained that it was broken since day 1 but it has so far been ignored

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Niki said:

Delete all the servers make a one new freedom map, and one pvp map.

do you really mean that???? cuz I would go along with that but I have very little to lose, maybe someone like you who has sunk upteen billions in Euros into the game on gear skills etc could be compensated with deed time or new equipment or some sort of skill bonus with two new maps.. I hope a lot of other people agree with this because if we unite we might get something accomplished and hell maybe there are some new features they are dying to introduce when a new map is initiated  that would be swell too, I hope more agree to this, consolidate into two maps, either teleport thorough gate or sail over to each other with same character or different and start over with whatever time, money or skill bonuses they give to start things over or not start everyone equal with some deed time allotted for skill, money and time lost.. this is the answer we could actually live by as a community and probably lots of people would come back to garner a good place on said maps, maybe introduce some updates lying in the shadows to spice things up, make a deadly new map maybe through community involvement or through pour unlimited cousin or just decided by staff this could be the fresh breeze we need.. this could be it +1

7 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

978jMd2.jpg

@Angelkaine are you deliberately being arguementative, three posts ago you are saying tough Shiite to these people when it was clearly stated how important this deed was to a lot of people now you are saying how nice his romantic lamenting  post about a proud iinstitution was, damn it am I the only one that finds you full of irony.. maybe you will read what my post says this time instead of deleting it, because behind my opinion lies a kind of  source for  help, if you want people to respect your opinion and value your statements about subjects being a staff member now, then speak after thinking, and maybe you will not just post to improve your posting tally in the bio... come on.. you are staff now please think b4 posting or someone like me will roast you for it.. 

and considering you are staff I find your attitude about a very important place, a little callus and disrespectfull, especially for a staff member of the forums, even I a measly player of 2 years and a lowly janitor by trade and whatever else i am to you and others,  knows better.. maybe I am just mad because you sensorred my criticism of nobody in particular just a level of staff member; Gm 's it was, though nobody in particular, so I expect somebody will erase this b4 you gain its advice.. sorry If I came across wrong but I hate hypocracy (sp!) in any form...

Sad to see DNPA go.  It's been a while since I was on epic, but it was a great start.  Well done VD, guess you huns won epic.  Lovely to see the chaos toxicity showing up here.

10 hours ago, Zenity said:

This, in my opinion, became even more important when new, non premium players joined the server and saw no one in local, due to the anti-spy measures which means non premiums have no idea who's in local at all.

DNPA's decline is Epic's decline, it's a symptom of the issues facing Epic at present, with population so low that today I was the only player on the whole server for three hours, and only 12 on the whole cluster, (The only time I've ever seen the  'no other players are on Serenity' message when using /who).

At this point I'm almost ready to give up myself, but I can't, I was one of the first on the server way back when it all began, I'll be one of the last off it if I can help it.

You've expressed this far better than I ever could.

I've been part of many deeds over the years. DNPA was the one I felt most welcome at when I joined it. Throughout the years people came and left, but the one thing that never changed was the incredible sense of community spirit present there. It represented the good of Epic to a degree. 

Had it not been for DNPA, and especially Covenant, I most likely wouldn't have stuck around past mid 2014. I probably wouldn't have applied for CA had I not joined DNPA, and been persuaded to do so by the people there, and I definitely wouldn't be where I am today without it. I know some of you may see that as a bad thing though ;) 

I'm truly saddened by the loss of the community we had there, while it had steadily been decreasing, it never once wavered in spirit, right up to the very end.

• Like 1

I wouldn't just say Epic is dying, I would say the entire game is to be honest. But that is fear uncertainty and doubt, and isn't allowed on the forums lest you get your post removed.  There is nothing happening to get new players or keep the recurring ones. Wurm Unlimited was a total disaster. "Yeah lets release wurm and its source code with minor modifications on steam."  It looks as though Rolf took the money and quit to me.

It was fun for the few years it lasted.

edit* 

VD has nothing to do with the draining on the JKH deed and disbanding of DNPA

Edited by Firecat

It was VD those bitches are always looking for easy stuff 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 3:26 PM, Angelklaine said:

I couldn't agree more. Its all about the pvp. Its sad to hear a player friendly place passed, but historicity should not protect you from the base elements of the game... Not that thats whats being said here.

Deeds are there to provide a sanctuary for its residents, as long as they can defend it. When they can't, then the deed is there for the enemy to raid. They are sources of content, as intended, and in this case not enough people cared to defend. Whats sad is not that the deed fell, but the fact that it had no one to defend it. 

There were a handful of people there that had very low skills and eventually got sick of being so easily killed over and over. We rebuilt and rebuilt, fortified (extremely slowly because of how low skilled we were). But they were so over powered compared to us. Basically, they multi-killed and ran off the very players that they had any chance to have fun PvP'ing with later after we had a chance to level up. It is what it is. They didn't do anything that the game mechanics didn't allow them to do. It's just not the choice I would have made as someone complaining that there is no opposition. [Edited: But playing with and against people] is why we play MMO's and not single player games. Gotta take the good with the short sighted and all the rest.

Edited by Babinka
  • Like 3

Those VD rascals, disbanding deeds on servers we haven't even been on in nearly a year. Either way farewell, DNPA served and protected Serenity very well with crash-inducing density around Strongbox for a long time.

• Like 1

Rakki plays with VD therefore VD did cause the disbanding of DNPA ;p        the end is nigh, winter is coming...................

Rhianna your special. OoO

Winter is coming?

Just saying doom and gloom, epic is in its last death throes..... and somewhere in the world winter IS coming lol

I take full responsibility on JKH falling down #BLFORLAIF

On 7/13/2017 at 4:42 AM, psisimian said:

<words>

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone, and understanding why they feel the way they do. The way he explained it I agree with. That doesn't mean I believe that the deed should not have been attacked. The world is not black and white. 

Edited by Angelklaine

On 7/12/2017 at 10:41 AM, Firestarter said:

Today marks a sad day in the history of Wurm. One of the oldest standing deeds on Serenity has fallen.

The Department of New Player Assistance has always existed in some form since Epic opened,

It should be expected at some point? It is a pvp server right? I mean whats left of it.

Edited by FranktheTank

Rakki, pm me please. I wanna join VD again.

ty Rhianna.