Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

Farewell DNPA

Today marks a sad day in the history of Wurm. One of the oldest standing deeds on Serenity has fallen.

The Department of New Player Assistance has always existed in some form since Epic opened, always dedicated to helping people out. Oftentimes people have said the only reason they stuck around past the first few hours was the help, advice and assistance we gave them. 

Sadly, a small group of people decided they wanted the 2 silver coins in the token, and easy loot and easy kills with no opposition whatsoever. In doing this, they've now destroyed years of work. To those who did this, I honestly hope you're proud of yourselves.

To those who've been a part of the village over the years, I offer my thanks to you, for helping to shape DNPA over the years. Your work and company is very much appreciated!

Jul 12, 2017 2:31:23 PM upkeep disbanded The Department Of New Player Assistance

• Like 8

Sad days, with so few left on Serenity as it is, this will simply reduce the numbers even further.

Final drain was less than 64 copper, so much for glittering prizes.....

My thanks for DNPA, and it's long history on Serenity, on behalf of those who saw it's rise, and now sadly witnessed it's fall.

Edited by Zenity
  • Like 1

Sorry for the loss as well.

I've prolly made a few jokes (good ones and bad ones alike) about the DNPA when I was still Eobersig at Orchard Bay, but overall the DNPA was a good place and keeping it going so long is an achievement of it's own. Well done to you and Covenant and Joanavon (spelling?), the initial founder if I remember right?

• Like 2

I was part of that deed during my very short try of epic. Great people, and sad to see it fall.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

I've prolly made a few jokes (good ones and bad ones alike) about the DNPA when I was still Eobersig at Orchard Bay, but overall the DNPA was a good place and keeping it going so long is an achievement of it's own. Well done to you and Covenant and Joanavon (spelling?), the initial founder if I remember right?

Not quite, DNPA was originally founded by a couple of other players, who's names I sadly no longer recall, Joanavon took it over, and actually moved it to it's present location, the original was closer to the coast, where IRC ended up.

I believe the longest continuously deeded village on Serenity is Watzillian Outlawz, but DNPA has always been a very close second.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eobersig said:

As Zenity mentioned, Joanavon was the founder of the iteration that we've just lost. Following him was Tacitus, then Covenant. 

Apart from those, the most notable names that I remember from my time there were Mirax, Viti and Lyhrinae. They'd always jump at the opportunity to help someone out. I can honestly say that some of the best people I've ever met in this game have resided at DNPA.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Redeed and rebuild destroyed parts?

What's the point? There's no-one left. Along with that it'd be like throwing money away, I have no doubt that if we were to do so, the group would be back again to relieve us of our deed and upkeep within a short time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Firestarter said:

they've now destroyed years of work.

On a bright side raiders only spent 20000e and 8 hours shifts to do so 

• Like 1

VD raided this deed, new players couldnt seek the help and shelter dnpa offered, shame, a big hit to epicand its flow of new blood

The most surprising part of this story is that an undefended deed sat on a PvP-enabled server for long. Epic really needs some help.

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more. Its all about the pvp. Its sad to hear a player friendly place passed, but historicity should not protect you from the base elements of the game... Not that thats whats being said here.

Deeds are there to provide a sanctuary for its residents, as long as they can defend it. When they can't, then the deed is there for the enemy to raid. They are sources of content, as intended, and in this case not enough people cared to defend. Whats sad is not that the deed fell, but the fact that it had no one to defend it. 

8 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I couldn't agree more. Its all about the pvp. Its sad to hear a player friendly place passed, but historicity should not protect you from the base elements of the game... Not that thats whats being said here.

Deeds are there to provide a sanctuary for its residents, as long as they can defend it. When they can't, then the deed is there for the enemy to raid. They are sources of content, as intended, and in this case not enough people cared to defend. Whats sad is not that the deed fell, but the fact that it had no one to defend it. 

While it's certainly sad that we had such little numbers to be able to defend, what I'm still trying to wrap my head around is what the group stood to gain from doing this? It had already been looted to hell and back, all valuables on deed and on active villagers had already been taken. It's not a case of attempting to gain land like on Elevation or Chaos. There was literally just under 2 silver in the token. Was it really worth the time and effort to get that? Was it really worth detracting from the already dwindling numbers as villagers cease to log in because they can no longer provide any sort of match, or defense, against the attacking party?

• Like 1

whats equally sad is that just empties out epic even more, it really is a dying cluster esp when only one active kingdom (which even half the remaining active BL group fled to) for the tomes but dont care about the game as a whole jsut being greedy :/

• Like 2

old deeds fall all the time, why not consolidate epic into one map if the devs are against a merge? 

• Like 2

cos apparently they are still following what Rolf said years ago - as long as one person is playing they aint shutting a server down. Someone really needs to get hold of him (not a gm ) and let him know what is going on because I cannot believe he thinks anyone is coming back to epic on this horrible map

3 minutes ago, Lundu said:

Delete epic

Delete all the servers make a one new freedom map, and one pvp map.

• Like 3

So this deed had less than 2s left in it and no active players, so it would of disbanded in a month or so anyways, what is the big deal that someone hit the token for a drain, all they did was put it out of its misery sooner.

• Like 2

because the last few remaining Serenity players have a big attachment to it - its where most of them, inc me although I'm not JK anymore, started out in that deed, most helpful owners and players in that deed to noobies, thats the big deal Jake...its just sad to see it go since its the 2nd oldest Serenity deed....

also its jsut another server on that cluster that jsut went dead, leaves MR only really and a few BL, might as well close Epic altogether

I meant to say it leaves 3 MR , a lot of VD and a few BL ;p Rome and JKE only log in to defend their last few remaining deeds, shut it down already jeez lol

Edited by Rhianna
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

So this deed had less than 2s left in it and no active players, so it would of disbanded in a month or so anyways, what is the big deal that someone hit the token for a drain, all they did was put it out of its misery sooner.

There were still a few active villagers keeping it going when they could, with what they could. Not much they can do when the deed's hit while they're offline. People do still have lives outside Wurm, so can't necessarily stay up all night anticipating a potential attack that most likely will steamroll them.