Great you keep changing the game along as we go. I'm not a huge fan of change, so my post may not be a popular one here.

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

this is a preliminary step towards returning tree collisions.

I guess some people have suggested bringing back collisions with trees at some point. I was not that person for sure. One fact is I am not a game developer. I got no idea really how I would ever go about putting together such a place as Wurm. So please feel free to read my input with that in mind.

I do not think bringing tree collisions back is a good idea (I'm posting this from a position of never having played Wurm with tree collisions). I assume you used to run into and bounce off of trees in Wurm at some point in the past. Then the developers from that time decided tree collisions were a bad idea so they got rid of them. Maybe too many people dying? I got no idea.

I will say.. what we got here in Wurm, is  very difficult game to play/survive. Newbies log on, try to figure a bit of something, find it is very difficult, too difficult, and so they go to other games. Some die, from falls, monsters, drowning, I'm sure there is a wild gambit of ways to die in Wurm that I can not even imagine. I am not a big fan of dying in Wurm. It's not my thing. Either way though, some stick to it and stay with Wurm. I have been here for almost 2 years.

So now you propose to take this very difficult game to play/survive, and make it more difficult. Ok I don't get this. It does not make sense to me. I realize things would be more realistic, if, when I'm running for my life from a horde of mobs, if I had to navigate around the trees. Ya, sure. Realistic. But.. as it is.. death comes swift enough right now in game, even though I can run through trees. For me, for now, my vote (glad this is not a democracy though tbh) is thumbs down to tree collisions.

I will ask around my friends and chat tabs, try to see what other people think about adding the new complexity of tree collisions. Who knows, I have never played Wurm with tree collisions. Maybe i'll be like.. OMG.. this is great ! So ya, take my opinion as it is from someone never had tree collisions and got no idea how to make a good marketable online game.

Thanks your efforts this game,

TeeeBOMB

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

I have never played Wurm with tree collisions. Maybe i'll be like.. OMG.. this is great !

Having played with tree collision, I have a hard time thinking anyone will be saying that.  -_-

• Like 2

Tree collisions are active on test server, TeeeBOMB, if you want to see what it's like.

I, for one, used test server on two separate occasions before I realized tree collisions were on.

It really isn't noticeable, and when you do notice, you get used to it very fast.

• Like 3

And 3, it's coming whether you like it or not.  <_<

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Celebration creature tests
As mentioned in Buddas devblog we've begun testing new creature movement code using Celebration as a live test run. We're looking for feedback on how animals behave and move around both in pens and the wild. Leave your feedback on this thread, but please do remember to keep it specific to feedback about the movement, off topic discussions and such might be removed.

I don't know if there is one already, but can you include a frequency modifier that is based on if a creature is branded or not.  Something that would allow wild creatures to move as expected, but drastically reduce the number of times penned branded animals are calculating their next move.  This would go a long way to prevent the one thing I worry about with this change.  Tile packing. ;)

Edited by Aaron_IRL
Regarding creatures

Speaking of animals, is there a way to change this so they're not sticking their butts or heads through buildings?  it looks really weird. lol.

http://imgur.com/iB1YQG3

And on going into the pens, it looks like the horses are standing on the tile borders instead of the tiles themselves. Some look bisected by the fences which negates the overall look of the deed.

Edited by PandyLynn
added information

1 hour ago, Joelle said:

Tree collisions are active on test server, TeeeBOMB, if you want to see what it's like.

I, for one, used test server on two separate occasions before I realized tree collisions were on.

It really isn't noticeable, and when you do notice, you get used to it very fast.

I like statements like this, so does this mean you logged onto test and ran into a tree by the road side, or have you spent an hour or two driving carts/wagons/horses around in the forests.

I have done this, tree collisions are not fun, but really are not the end of the world either, I can take it either way.

• Like 1

I played on WU for a while and the trees are solid there.  It only took a few min to get completely used to them again.  Yes, they can be inconvenient, so so are mountains and walls.  They really should be solid.  Making trees thinner is a great prep step.  Traveling in thick forests of chestnuts or olives was pretty harsh, but it was just understood that trees were solid, so you had to get out and cut a few down.  Seems pretty realistic to bring solid trees back.  +1 for me.

• Like 3

Solid trees can be a boon and a curse, because while you have to go around them, so do the mobs. in some cases, it can make it easier to lose them if you are being hunted. I always HATED going up to the NE in Deli to the olive forest there, because of a lot of trolls that would come out of the woodworks there. I'm better at survival now, so it's not a big deal anymore. I'm ok with it either way now.

Why not make "mission objects" not able to be deeded over or blocked and then have "decorative mission items " that can be built but provide nothing but aestetics.  

3 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

Why not make "mission objects" not able to be deeded over or blocked and then have "decorative mission items " that can be built but provide nothing but aestetics.  

exactly this.

no suggestion about epic structures ive ever seen wanted you to be able to claim "active mission structures" or destroy them.

it always was about those that were built somewhere for decorative means by people who didnt know what they do to themselves or others.

just keep active mission focus points the way they are now, change non active mission structures the way retro mentioned and suddenly everyones happy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

so does this mean you logged onto test and ran into a tree by the road side, or have you spent an hour or two driving carts/wagons/horses around in the forests.

I was also amused.  I think the tree size changes are a great step to solving the problem, but you can't imagine the frustration of getting cornered in an Olive forest while running from a horde of trolls.  The good old days...  :rolleyes:

Leisurely strolling on the test server = Same.

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Epic buildings and Freedom
This next update will introduce the ability to place a deed over Epic mission structures. This is a Freedom only feature at this point, and deeding over a mission structure will disqualify it from being used in missions. So if you do use any shrines or other mission buildings to protect land, be warned that this will no longer be the case!

Any idea, generally, we have in time to look forward to this?

Of course, when this goes stable there will be a brief crossover period where the old client is still available, but we'd rather have the unstable one running as smooth as possible first, which requires you!

Ohhh ... I hope not! :/.... the grass in the unstable client is soo ugly...so therefore I never use it

Well... may be I have my settings set too low.... but really dont think it shouldn't have anything to do with that.

Edited by Victoria

Oh another note, Hurray for new fences! I have a project on pause waiting for them.

20 hours ago, Aaron_IRL said:

Having played with tree collision, I have a hard time thinking anyone will be saying that.  -_-

Having played with tree collision, I have a hard time thinking anyone actually liked tree collision. 

Well, we all have different opinions.  Time will tell I guess.  Like I've said elsewhere, I'll try to restrain myself from hearty guffaws and  "told you so" posts when the forum outcries begin after the change.

Really loving the latest additions to the game guys

At seeing the plans to add versions for walls/fences for the new wall types, something came to me that I thought would be neat for the marble chain link fence; if there was that one, as well as an alternative using golden chain links, could work well for making "sacred" places while using marble :), just a thought I figured I'd put out there :) 

Keep up the great work guys :) 

• Like 2

On 7.7.2017 at 6:03 PM, Retrograde said:

Of course, when this goes stable there will be a brief crossover period where the old client is still available, but we'd rather have the unstable one running as smooth as possible first, which requires you!

there, that'll make it a lot better :P

What about requiring the Epic mission structure to be blessed to be considered 'active' for missions, then add blocking of active mission structures to the griefing ruleset (i.e your not allowed to do it, and tbh i'm surprised its not in there already).

This gives people ones for decorative use and mission use. Allow the decorative ones to be on deed/deeded over, but not the active ones.

Edited by Trooper

I think epic building missions should be removed from freedom completely, allow no new epic buildings as mission points, keep them able to be made for decorations.. Replace it with something more PvE friendly, something we can share instead of fighting over and hoarding. Freedom should be about co-op, I refuse to compete.

• Like 1

From my understanding tree collisions have been in the game since day one.  Once they brought bridges into Wurm they had a lot of issues and decided to turn it off which I guess fixed the bridge issue for the time being while they figured out how to fix it.  Maybe if they didn't turn it off we would still not have bridges from an issue they needed more time on.  So it appears it's only been 2-3 years with tree collision off and the rest of the 7 years it's been on (Wurm 10+ years old).

• Like 1