header.png

Unknown deed - Seriphina

Hi Everyone! 

Another patch down, and all new content for Wurm! This patch did have a hiccup with some clients, but this has been rectified for the most part, if you are having issues with the screen going black when entering a mine in unstable, turning on (or off)  FXAA in post processing can help.

But first...

Patch Notes

• Wurmian dendrologists have noted that the girth of Olive and Chestnut trees has diminished. (olive and chestnut tree trunks are now thinner by 60%)
  • Cave entrances can now be reinforced, prepared, and paved like other cave floors.
  • Priests that can dig without going faithless can now dredge.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue where keys ended up in a bugged state if they were inside a bank or mailbox when the lock was destroyed.  Now the keys should be destroyed as well.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a bug that caused cave ceilings to examine as floors and requirement remove reinforcement permissions when above a reinforced floor.
  • Bugfix:  Fix for some underground bridges causing errors resulting in players rubberbanding as they travel across the bridge.
  • Bugfix: Hota should no longer break if there is a server restart during an active event – remaining pillars should spawn seconds before the shutdown.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the issue causing decayed organic material from being stuck in a your bank taking up a slot until server restart.
  • Bugfix:  Metallic Liquid will now come in a potion bottle when looted and will actually work when ‘smeared’ onto an item.
    • The imbue will start with 100 power, no matter what your actual skill is as long as the action succeeds.
    • Protect against items “cracking” 5 times, lose 20 power from the imbue every time it “forms cracks”
    • Protect against a single shatter. As long as the power of the imbue even exist listed on the item, it will be protected.
    • You can NOT smear another potion to “refill” the lost power, effect must be gone.

Client updates

• 4.0 Client fix: Straightened out reinforced walls next to veins with cave detail set to high.
  • 4.0 Client fix: Wild hive message on screen should now appear again if you  do not have it hidden in settings.
  • 4.0 Client fix:  Rangefinder numbers are again visible when using a spyglass.
  • 4.0 Client fix: Corona position (glow) for some items was fixed from hovering above to a center position.
  • 4.0 Client fix: Fixed orientation issues of embarked players.
  • 4.0 Client fix: There should be no more ‘lightning’ flashes on animals, people and items.
  • 4.0 Client new:  Added a post-process tab in client settings to to add or remove some effects.
    • Bloom
    • FXAA (antialiasing)
    • Vignette
  • Bugfix:  Changed the orientation of pavement on bridges to match terrain paving.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the bumpy cave floor pavement as seen with cave detail set to high.
  • Deed planner exporter changes:
    • New wall/fence types and bushes as well as floors are now exported properly
    • Deed borders are exported as DeedPlanner border
    • If deed is coastal, all height values on map will be accurate. Otherwise, lowest point on plan will have height 5 when imported into the DeedPlanner

Unstable work
As you may have noticed, work on the unstable client has continued, with the new post processing tab in settings with some new options

• Bloom - Added feathered glow to light edges
  • FXAA - Anti Aliasing with better performance than existing AA in advanced graphics
  • Vignette - Darkening window border

this is of course on top of more performance work, and some big steps in memory management and overall look and feel, it's close to becoming the stable client, so make sure you try it out and get any and all issues back to us to address!

Of course, when this goes stable there will be a brief crossover period where the old client is still available, but we'd rather have the unstable one running as smooth as possible first, which requires you!

Tree size changes

As noted in the patch notes yesterday the size of olive trees and chestnut trees has been reduced considerably, this is a preliminary step towards returning tree collisions. Many wurmians will know the pain of wandering through olive forests and getting eaten by spiders, so this will go a long way towards improving that "experience" while bringing back the immersion of trees blocking paths.

Celebration creature tests
As mentioned in Buddas devblog we've begun testing new creature movement code using Celebration as a live test run. We're looking for feedback on how animals behave and move around both in pens and the wild. Leave your feedback on this thread, but please do remember to keep it specific to feedback about the movement, off topic discussions and such might be removed.

Epic buildings and Freedom
This next update will introduce the ability to place a deed over Epic mission structures. This is a Freedom only feature at this point, and deeding over a mission structure will disqualify it from being used in missions. So if you do use any shrines or other mission buildings to protect land, be warned that this will no longer be the case!

New wall textures
the new wall textures are in the works, with current focus on introducing the following types

• Tall wall
  • Portcullis fence
  • Parapet
  • High iron fence
  • High iron fence gate
  • Chain link fence

These will of course come in the sandstone, slate, rounded stone, marble, rendered, and pottery textures. 

There may also be more fence types in the works, but they will come at a later date.

I hope to have some sneak previews in the coming news, so stay tuned for that!

Community Content
This weeks community content comes from Zephyr Storm visiting the Mystic Highlands server with an awesome introduction and showcase, I do hope it turns into an ongoing thing, as I really enjoyed this!

That's it for this week, I hope you all have a good weekend, and as always, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 18

I'm against the changes to mission items. I understand why you would change it though, I know of a few pockets on deli that can't be deed because of it.

However you should be able to reserve land without placing tons of deeds though. What about a perimeter only deed, the land is semi owned by you but not really. Very low cost to keep it from getting houses and deeds all over it.

Oh how I can hear them already:

"It's an island, and it's completely flat! gotta deed here!" 

Just ruins a lot of things for a lot of players. :(

2 minutes ago, Niki said:

I'm against the changes to mission items. I understand why you would change it though, I know of a few pockets on deli that can't be deed because of it.

However you should be able to reserve land without placing tons of deeds though. What about a perimeter only deed, the land is semi owned by you but not really. Very low cost to keep it from getting houses and deeds all over it.

Oh how I can hear them already:

"It's an island, and it's completely flat! gotta deed here!" 

Just ruins a lot of things for a lot of players. :(

What makes one player more entitled to land that they do not own than another, though?

Deed it or lose it. :)

LOVE the mission construction changes. Great job, Dev team!

• Like 15

Thanks for using the picture of my deed Lorewood for your cover shot this week!  :wub:

Keep up the great work as always! Can't wait for these new fences!!

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, KrisWald said:

thats basically like saying you want to deed and save the area for yourself... so others cant.... ;/ whether using missions or perimeter only deeds.... we need people on epic :P if people try to move into your area you can kill em....

but i dont think land should be reserved by deeds either way.... however i thought the new change was for Epic only.... not for freedom unless i read it wrong. 

The change is for Epic mission constructions (temples, shrines, pylons, etc.) on Freedom servers.

Previously, they couldn't be deeded. Now they can be, but they won't be used for missions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KrisWald said:

thats basically like saying you want to deed and save the area for yourself... so others cant.... ;/ whether using missions or perimeter only deeds.... we need people on epic :P if people try to move into your area you can kill em....

but i dont think land should be reserved by deeds either way.... however i thought the new change was for Epic only.... not for freedom unless i read it wrong. 

I think you read that backwards

22 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

This is a Freedom only feature at this point, and deeding over a mission structure will disqualify it from being used in missions. So if you do use any shrines or other mission buildings to protect land, be warned that this will no longer be the case!

• Like 1

I did Thank you :) well i think the shrines are pretty cool some of my friends have pushed them hundreds of tiles away to have them on their deeds. ;)

Beware, everyone, it is time yet again,

To show you all some thing that I can:

That thing I can do is be trouble for all

While following the golden mirrors' call.

No mercy again was bestowed on me

By @Warlander, that devil, he!

He linked this post and and said "Well you!

You know exactly what to do!"

So following my major plight

I ask for a future somewhat bright,

A future where I can be me again,

A future where I no longer have to be a man.

Just wanted to say thank you to the devs for the epic mission structure changes at this point - I am really glad to see some sensible changes to them introduced, making a lot of the servers inhabitable again. :) Thank you!

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 3

This next update will introduce the ability to place a deed over Epic mission structures. This is a Freedom only feature at this point, and deeding over a mission structure will disqualify it from being used in missions. So if you do use any shrines or other mission buildings to protect land, be warned that this will no longer be the case!

So anyone that did build these for missions has to spend countless hours protecting the mission generating items because someone can come and disqualify them in a heartbeat when it took a good bit to build them?  This is so not cool.

• Like 6

agreed^

Edited by Niki

2 minutes ago, Pashka said:

So anyone that did build these for missions has to spend countless hours protecting the mission generating items because someone can come and disqualify them in a heartbeat when it took a good bit to build them?  This is so not cool.

Yep the bad thing is that some new guy to wurm will probably be attracted to the mission structure and be labeled a griefer.

There should be something that will protect the ones that generate missions.

Nothing stopping anyone from putting down a 1x1 shack to prevent deeding a mission construction, then. Just an idea.

• Like 3

Just now, Joelle said:

Nothing stopping anyone from putting down a 1x1 shack to prevent deeding a mission construction, then. Just an idea.

That only protects it from deeding for a short time and you can still put the perimeter under the mission item.  Which would screw it up too.  So no there really isn't anyway to stop someone messing with the mission items if they want to.  And why in god's green earth should anyone have to protect something they spent countless hours making at the right time.  This seems like such a bad decision to me and another reason to just say screw it.

Many players also build these as decorations on their deed only to find out it no longer allows them to resize their deed or make any modifications.

The disqualification is simply to stop someone feeding a mission structure simply to control access, of the deed falls it becomes eligible again 

• Like 1

Did the dev team even think this trough?

if you build a mission structure FOR MISSIONS and you spend countless hours and resources to do it

You cannot deed over it because it wont become valid for missions (the reason you built it)

So how do you protect it? from anyone deeding over it?

Someone in the staff had a massive logic breakdown

PRO GRIEFING change 101

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 3

That or they do not have any of these built near them or by them. 

Yes my concern with the mission item deeding is that you build for days in hope to have a mission point near to you and in a snap of a finger it will be disqualified.

Now I see all such mission items will be built around by donut houses thus restricting access to others - making it impossible to go and finish the missions that way.

If that would even protect them........I don't think it will.

great that someone read forums still!   

Also you can get over the issue of expanding deeds right now, when I want to resize the deed I simply push  the structure off deed then back... so it is not really a reason for a change that makes a lot of aspects worse.

• Like 1

Why not make it so that you can bash the ones that do not generate missions?  Anything so that the ones that do work aren't destroyed......  

What if, like starter towns, Freedomers just build public (no upkeep/owned by the game) mission deeds and all other mission items became decorative? It would be like when each server redid various starter towns, each server votes/selects strategic places for the mission deeds, builds them, and then never worries about loss of access.

Edit: Or just add them to the starter towns if they already have multiple.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1