Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Stop Enchanted Grass Loss

Instead of throwing around random experiences and guessing at who has what where, let's do real math and document what really happens over the next 3 months.  Enough with the knee-jerk changes to the game because someone feels its not hard enough for them.

• Like 1

Why rely on sample variables when we have perfect values for decay rate already?

All we are really missing is the length of time it takes for a horse to need to graze; once we have that, it should be easy to predice the chance of losing enchanted tiles per day as a function of animal numbers.

3 hours ago, madnezz said:

because RNG

But....  The whole purpose of the branch of statistics is to obtain estimates for a certain value (in this instance "how likely is enchanted grass to decay"), which we already have.

On 7/8/2017 at 4:52 AM, Sila said:

easy fix... give every horse sadle and put it on tile... if they dont move they dont destroy

I wasn't aware every animal in Wurm was a horse!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Alyeska said:

I have a 8x9 pen with about 20 horses/unicorns. That's significantly more than the 2 tiles per animal you are suggesting - they still pack it, because they crowd into corners. The amount of animals in this pen does not matter, as long as there are more than 3 this becomes an issue. I do not want a "mcdonalds slaughterhouse" where I have to separate my horses into individual battery style pens or place saddles on them, gluing them into place (and then dying because they cannot eat when they pack the tiles they're on). I want my horses to roam freely throughout their pen without getting constantly diseased and dying/miscarrying because they pack those tiles.

Hellhorses do not suffer from this problem. They spread out throughout their pen on their own nicely. I have never had a packed tile in their pen. Sheep, bison and cows suffer from it even moreso than horses/unicorns do. My sheep packed a tile in their 3x4 pen with just 3 animals in it. Thankfully I own more than one account that I pay for so I'm able to fix these tiles fairly quickly, but I imagine if you do not have this available and have to pay someone every time to come fix it every time, you'd get annoyed pretty quickly.

The problem is the animal AI that causes them to not move properly like normal animals would, which in turn causes them to act retarded on enchanted grass and pack it.  I know which of the two is an easier fix, considering we have been hearing that animals should stop crowding/going on cliffs/going into the ocean since... at least since 2008.

Reveal hidden contents

oOXDxBy.jpg

Yeah, I'm not suggesting it shouldn't be looked at. 

I just wonder if it comes down to the usual "zero maintenance what-so-ever" vs. "some maintenance is ok."

The zero-maintenance crowd do often seem to be people who over-extend themselves, thereby creating more work for themselves than they want... and then wanting all that work they created removed from the game entirely.

I'd rather avoid that.  If that's not at all underlying this discussion for anyone, great! 

Not to say it shouldn't be looked at.  Not to say it's perfect as is. 

There's plenty of room in my little barn, and yet Bessie & Co. insist on returning to the same tile repeatedly.  I pull them away, spread them out, have a little chat... and sure enough, the minute I walk out they go right back.  I'm psyched Budda is actively looking into it and interested to see what comes of the work he's testing on Celebration.

As far as your having more than 1 paid account, it actually isn't necessary, right?  It can be handled with just 1 paid account.  Sure, I'd love to not lose skill points when I die... but I chose the ability to make my own enchanted tiles.  I'd have to barter, or not have enchanted tiles, if another path had that much more value.  Having more than 1 paid account certainly has awesome benefits though, none of which I have at the moment lol.

Still, I can't help but go back to people over-extending themselves though.  If 1000 animals, or 1000 enchanted tiles proves to be too much work, the solution is not having 1000 of these things.  I can't help but wonder how much of this thread revolves around that vs. the well known issues with creature ai.

If it's really just about creature ai... then hopefully people are encouraged to know Budda replied to this thread himself several times, and has an on-going feedback thread on creature ai specifically.  It appears relief is on the way.

13 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I realize some people have ludicrously large industry going on, and feel the minutiae is just too much... but I'm generally against all set it and forget it mechanics.

How about this, have budda tweak some code and make it so pavement on deed goes to packed dirt using a formula that takes into account a tiny bit of wear and tear from you walking over it once in a while and see how you enjoy repaving random tiles every week.

All that pavement on such a large scale should have maintenance right? Since you seem all set against set it and forget it mechanics.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

What about the tiles that become unenchanted even without any animals on them?

It became a pain on my Nezumi pens to the point where I was making no headway on a new deed.

7 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

How about this, have budda tweak some code and make it so pavement on deed goes to packed dirt using a formula that takes into account a tiny bit of wear and tear from you walking over it once in a while and see how you enjoy repaving random tiles every week.

All that pavement on such a large scale should have maintenance right? Since you seem all set against set it and forget it mechanics.

Thing is, I'd go for that :lol:  I think roads actually work the opposite don't they?  They only decay, and a tiny bit at that, when not used.  Never really been a fan of permanent roads, or permanent anything, any which way you look at it.

Enchanted grass and packing in general is just one thing and by itself not the end of the world if removed.  It all adds up though, and once you succeed in killing this off, it'll be on to the next thing you guys feel inconvenienced by.

If the devs want to move on to more interesting things, then sure, remove packing on deed.  Just maybe consider drawing the line somewhere cuz people will always want something else removed.  How bout pickin' them planters huh! :rolleyes:

Curious to see what Budda has in store with the work he's doing on Celebration.

If anyone actually knows the facts, I'd go with the guy who creates the facts in the first place.