Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Creature Movement Feedback

As it is now in the beta seems fine to me, animals are no longer sitting in walls and get reasonably spread out in pens. Haven't noticed any weirdness with wild ones either.

2 hours ago, bdew said:

As it is now in the beta seems fine to me, animals are no longer sitting in walls and get reasonably spread out in pens. Haven't noticed any weirdness with wild ones either.

Is the AI different in beta vs the current client?  By what you say it must be as the current client's AI seems identical to AI 6-7 years ago tbh.

Hoping we can eventually see this fixed.

3 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Is the AI different in beta vs the current client?  By what you say it must be as the current client's AI seems identical to AI 6-7 years ago tbh.

Hoping we can eventually see this fixed.

First of all server, not client. Client has nothing to do with anything.

1.5 had an older version of the AI, probably what was running on Cele at some point earlier.

1.6 beta has a newer version of the creature AI that seems to be much better at not sitting inside fences. I assume this is also the same code that runs on WO now... or atleast on test? idk, i don't play WO anymore.

And if you turn the "new" AI off in feature management you get the old, pre-cele-expeiment code as far as i understand.

I think the new system works real well with penned animals(horses and cows). There are some spots in the wild that still have issues but all in all i think it is much better now. Some individual types of mobs could use some slowing down. Sheep, deer, chickens and bison in particular seem to have ants in their pants and move way too much. I like that island btw. It gave me 3 points of weapon skill just the other day.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:31 PM, bdew said:

1.6 beta has a newer version of the creature AI that seems to be much better at not sitting inside fences. I assume this is also the same code that runs on WO now... or atleast on test? idk, i don't play WO anymore.

it's exactly the same as live, so yeah, everything in that is whats currently there. 

Horses like(d) swimming, in the picture horses are represented as yellow dots. I will keep you updated if this problem is improved after the update.

Tyevk29.png

23 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Horses like(d) swimming, in the picture horses are represented as yellow dots. I will keep you updated if this problem is improved after the update.

Might take a while for them to get there, but they _should_ prefer less deep water when they move, so hopefully they'll start heading back towards the land.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:31 AM, bdew said:

First of all server, not client. Client has nothing to do with anything.

1.5 had an older version of the AI, probably what was running on Cele at some point earlier.

And if you turn the "new" AI off in feature management you get the old, pre-cele-expeiment code as far as i understand.

Yes yes I knew server, unsure why I poked out client.  I blame the phone lol

Is this thread still just being used for Cele only? Or are we allowed to point out how things are going on other servers in here? Because even with this new mob movement stuff, my place down in Xan is STILL dead as a door-nail. Even after that stuff went live on our server, I still haven't seen a single ocean creature. There is an occasional other mob roaming my area that I didn't use to see, but overall, not much changed.

Other servers too - moved the topic to Town Square to make that more obvious.

• Like 1

how come animals get stuck trying to go over bridges that are over water too deep for them to walk over

23 hours ago, Budda said:

Other servers too - moved the topic to Town Square to make that more obvious.

I agree. The obvious was to move this topic to Town Square. Well done!

*winks*

=Ayes=

I'm still having some issues with bridges.

I have a bridge going over water to my deed, and recently found three animals (a bull, a cow, and something else) standing on the first tile of the bridge, refusing to move for several days.

Meanwhile, today I had a troll on that same bridge, and it refused to ever chase me *off* the bridge.

It's like they get confused about pathfinding when bridges are involved.

Edited by Ostentatio

Animals (in the wild) tend to move north where they bunch up on slopes or other dead ends, peninsulae for example. Here's a screenshot from Xanadu, near Vrock Landing. Slope is facing north.

RGhypwP.jpg

Note also that there's not a single aggressive mob on the picture, bulls and cows spawn at a crazy rate it seems, leaving no room for aggressive critters. In a region where I once saw 150-200 aggressive critters in local (via get-info) I now see 10 or 20 aggressive ones when I'm lucky, sometimes only 4 or 5.

I've seen a similar pattern to @Eobersig's post above. I live at the northern end of Newspring Island on Xanadu, and there's a north-facing rock peninsula near me that has a veritable stampede of cows and bulls on it at all times.

Also, in spite of the alleged changes to spawning behavior, I have not yet seen a rat spawn on the rocky shores near me, yet there are still plenty of seals.

• Like 1

Found these as I was sailing past N14 on Xanadu on the north facing wall.  All bulls, cows and horses.

mzWXK12.jpg

• Like 1

I recently clear-cut an area for a future deed, mostly grass, and now it's apparently become a hangout for cattle, sheep, and chickens.

I wouldn't consider this particularly notable, but they've been engaging in some odd clustering behavior:

1R3o9Ov.jpg

This screenshot is facing north.

This screenshot was taken after the change to animals pathing on steep cliffs, but not the hard-to-see sheep just above and to the left of the tunnel entrance; lots of these animals have still been climbing the cliffs.

It's as if they're trying to go north as much as possible, or, if not that, they're trying to path into the cave and failing. I'm not sure what's going on, exactly, but it seems abnormal.

For what it's worth, I have heard of animal pathing being unintentionally weighted toward creatures wandering north, but I don't know how true that is in general.