Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Creature Movement Feedback

Update2:

Another spot near the water:

Spoiler

Aside from a couple newborn horses clipping through walls in my stable I can't say I've noticed anything new but then again my animules are in 1x1 pens and most are saddled... everything else I kill on contact.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Something I have noticed in the past that is kind of related... would it be possible for the leading tether to be slightly shortened? When I lead an animal into a 1x2 pen, it is difficult to ensure they get all the way through the gate without having a second gate to walk partway through to make sure they are far enough in.

Thanks for all the work devs!  I am really enjoying all the new goodies :)

• Like 2

I noticed this. Last night a guest at my deed screamed in glee after seeing a horde of animals congregated at the docks next door. The area was not deeded, and animals were collecting at the waterside in hordes. I'd post a pic, but he murdered them to the last mob, and thus is not suitable for young viewers.

Its been happening ever since the chance. Something is making them all run in the same direction and collect at waterside.

Thanks for the reports, I'll be looking at the grouping near water issue and the half way through fences stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks Budda!

Most important achievement so far is that cows and bulls descended from their godly status up on steep ridges. They are still better already crowding at waterside corners where we can reach them (or they take care of overpopulation themselves roleplaying as lemmings)..

We had a very nice FSB yesterday night with a swinging hellhorse tail decoration... which I translate as ninja testing from your side for making decorations be attachable to walls and items :P

Edited by Jaz

I'm out hunting atm and i notice that cows/bulls/deer/sheep that are near water..go in to the water swiming a bit and then taking dmg and die.

On 8/9/2017 at 10:06 AM, Jonydowy said:

I'm out hunting atm and i notice that cows/bulls/deer/sheep that are near water..go in to the water swiming a bit and then taking dmg and die.

Can confirm, this is still happening

i don't know why it is so hard to get this animal movement code done right.. i'm guessing they try really hard to keep it minimal for the server load so we can still enjoy having many creatures,but still having them act like they'r real world counterparts and that's an effort to appreciate.

although things like them gathering up in some corner or going on mountain faces could have been fixed a long time ago, but still the same thing happen's for years now i hope they get fixed once and for all this time around:)

Yeah animals seem to pile up in water, I killed 15 hens at 1 lake, and our canal around deed is getting filled slowly :( 

Living on the southern coast of cele, I did forget to nab a screenshot but a day or so ago we have about 30 or so sheep surrounding deed walls on about 2 to 3 sides of it as well along the coast line. And Also as a note I have seen cows go into water  either to try and escape other hostile creatures or myself and only go to hurt themselves by drowning. Have also come across corpses of animals on water tiles as recent as yesterday afternoon.

Not gonna lie, I often find those and take them home...for processing.

Logged in a few days ago, and I found two piles of animals right outside the walls of my deed (sheep/cows/bulls/chickens/roosters, and a horse).

Guess they're still working on it. :)

I still find 20+ animals of various types wandering at the coastlines.  I honestly don't see any difference now and from 5 years ago...

All the horses on my deed seem to end up in the fences. To be exact, they seem to pick either west or east and eventually - over the course of some time - reach the fence. Once they reach the fence, they stay there for quite some time. This means that at any given time, my horses are all gathered along some fence, pointing in the direction they were originally going, as if they wished to continue on but couldn't. Not sure if this is important to the developers, but it's a new behavior in the last week, so I thought I would just bring it up.

• Like 1

Could you possibly create code that makes the horses tend to gravitate to the center of tiles when they stop moving instead of tile borders & corners? 

It doesnt matter how large or small the enclosure is, they stop on the tile borders or corners.  This change has made horse management on my deeds very un-fun.  

A hell horse in a large pen, he was put in the center of the area not 5 minutes before I took this pic 

My Breeding pens, very difficult to see who is in which pen or how many are in a pen...you have to try to lead each one to make sure they are where you think they are.

• Like 1

Did this get put in on Xana recently without us knowing?  In the last few days I've been finding horses standing in the gates, half way out of their pens in my barn.  Never seen that happen since building my barns a few years ago. Now happened a few times just in a few days.

EDIT: remark on all servers, not just Cele:

The sight of cows and sheep and hens in water, drowning away, is a common sight these days. I used to see it in the past rarely, really rarely, while now I don't even stop to check them. I also seem to understand from others that saving a hen or something from the water was an event, in the past. That is, something rare. I'm guessing too many are drowning now to matter. I'm trying to say that a mechanic we knew existed but weren't encountering much, seems much more common now.

Could it be only because the amount of domestic non-swimming animals spawning or coming down from the mountains is way greater in many areas? Not sure.

Edited by Anarres
this topic was supposedly Cele only

This is my view of on celebration images are me looking left, straight north, and then right from an island's north shore...  It would appear creature movement is still broken or bugged, as usual.  It's quite hard to tell, but in this area there are over 30 chickens, nearly 40 cows/bulls, a few horses, and somewhere between 5-10 sheep.  I didn't factor seals in nor did I look behind me for a screenshot which has more mobs slowly migrating their way to the shore.

WCGEv7k.jpg

z44WRiI.jpg

Yzin2mD.jpg

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

Recently cleared over 50 mobs from the hill in the pictures above, all the animals migrate to the water it's very strange. 

• Like 2

Haven't you guys heard?  They are so pleased with this creature movement as-is that they are now pushing it out to WU in the next update (where any fixes going forward will be another 6 months to a year before WU sees them).  Anyone who complains about it or tries to point out that it is messed up either gets ignored or completely invalidated and treated as though they're just complaining about nothing.

I gave up quite some time ago.  I can only hope that the brilliant modding minds in WU will be able to reverse or counteract the really messed up parts of it.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

They likely path around until they hit the water, which then limits their options in terms of movement.

It happened with the old system too, and while there's pockets of odd pathing and issues, such as clumping at water edges, pens are much more spread out and general mob density is improved across the whole server.

As for it coming to WU, it will be a server feature that can be disabled, if one so chooses to keep their penned mobs clumped together 

• Like 1

It's not like the "old" system didn't have it's own set of issues. And the new pathing system is already in WU just in the less-finished state it was half a year ago.

I for one would rather have the updates to the new system in WU so that we can experiment with it and give feedback. Maybe even try our hand at making it better :P 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

As for it coming to WU, it will be a server feature that can be disabled

Well this ability to disable it in WU is good to hear anyway. Also bdew's comments about server owners being able to attempt to resolve it if patched in is encouraging as well.

=Ayes=

• Like 1