Sign in to follow this  
Mplez

Some questions about the game and its features

Hello everyone! I'd like to ask some questions, regarding different subjects, before I try the game:

How do servers exactly work? I know each server is an island and you can travel in-between, but is it like a big, persistent cluster? Are there loading screens between each server-island? If you have premium you can travel anytime anywhere you want?

About animal husbandry and farming and general gameplay, I consider myself as a casual dedicated player. Meaning that I can log daily for no more than an hour, but there are days that I can play for longer sessions (6 hrs+). And I love animal handling/ farming!
To raise animals and crops you have to log periodically many times a day to take care of?
Also is animal taming for combat a thing? Is it hard to raise those skills?

About sea content, I know there are ships and content alike but is there naval combat? Can you build a raft and travel freely to the seas?

About thieving/ lockpicking. Is it possible to break into other people houses/buildings by picklocking the doors and steal from their chests? What can you steal? Does it worth it? This is only applied to certain servers?
Also is it possible to steal items from the other people’s inventory?
Would it be possible to settle on a quiet place in a non-PvP server and travel to PvP ones in order to steal/thieve and then bring back all the goodies? How hard is to rise up those skills, what it takes? And how can you defend yourself?

Lastly I know that there is a huge steep learning curve and a lot of grinding if someone wants to progress… But how much time you think would it get to get to a decent state and maybe have a character than can do the things I’ve listed above?

Thank you for your time, any answer is much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to wurm

at an average of 2 hours per day of gameplay (and not afk time)... you can expect to be reasonably well suited to do the last thing - jumping on and off etc. in about.... 3-4 years RL

But that by no means means you are good, it will just mean that you are reasonably sure you wont die at the hand of the first person you encounter (most of the time)

Generally all fighting related skills are hard to raise, see shield bashing (basically impossible), weaponsmithing, etc. Even fighting is quite difficult to raise

I know this is far from a complete answer...just my 2c

23 minutes ago, Mplez said:

Hello everyone! I'd like to ask some questions, regarding different subjects, before I try the game:

How do servers exactly work? I know each server is an island and you can travel in-between, but is it like a big, persistent cluster? Are there loading screens between each server-island? If you have premium you can travel anytime anywhere you want?

About animal husbandry and farming and general gameplay, I consider myself as a casual dedicated player. Meaning that I can log daily for no more than an hour, but there are days that I can play for longer sessions (6 hrs+). And I love animal handling/ farming!
To raise animals and crops you have to log periodically many times a day to take care of?

not many times a day. it is beneficial for crops to tend to them. the more you do it, the more of a bonus you get, however once a day is already good enough to get a nice harvest. and it has a cooldown too, so you can not just tend the same tile multiple times in a row.

for animals grooming them is really only for skill or if they are diseased, afaik.

sadly this is a no. tamed animals have a couple penalties due to them being too strong in pvp ages back, so nowadays they are considerably weaker than their wild counterparts. noone really uses them since theres not much of a point to it, they die too quickly.

About sea content, I know there are ships and content alike but is there naval combat? Can you build a raft and travel freely to the seas?

you cant embark rafts so you need a bigger boat than that. a sail or rowboat (rowboat ignores wind direction pretty much and can be sailed even by a f2p char) and you're free to go out and explore. however theres not really what you imagine under naval combat. and boat combat is only a pvp thing. there are no enemy boats or similar.

you can, however, fight sea creatures like sharks, dolphins etc but its more of a "normal hunting except you're sitting in a boat rather than on a horse".

About thieving/ lockpicking. Is it possible to break into other people houses/buildings by picklocking the doors and steal from their chests? What can you steal? Does it worth it? This is only applied to certain servers?

lockpicking is a pvp server only feature (chaos and the epic cluster) and is mostly disabled on pve. there you are only allowed to lockpick your own belongings and lockpicking other peoples stuff, even if possible, is a bannable offense. you should check it out in the game rules.

on pvp you can lockpick open doors, chests, carts, wagons and boats and grab the contents or the whole vehicles and drive off in them.

what you can steal depends completely on who you raid. recently The Crusaders raided the Jenn Kellon capitol and made off with a bunch of drake sets, each of which is worth about 90e. but cases like this are really ,really rare. you can get some nice loots but you shouldnt count on finding anything that has such a huge value.
Also is it possible to steal items from the other people’s inventory?

no, you can only loot their corpses after they die. the corpses will contain everything but they will have permissions on pve so you can not just loot them on pve servers. on pvp servers, however, you can grab everything out of them.
Would it be possible to settle on a quiet place in a non-PvP server and travel to PvP ones in order to steal/thieve and then bring back all the goodies? How hard is to rise up those skills, what it takes? And how can you defend yourself?

you can do that. however this is only a thing on the freedom isles cluster, where chaos is the only pvp server. you can always bring back your loot. however, its usually not a thing that the pvp community welcomes too well.

about the skills it takes, thats hard to say. lockpicking is a pretty slow skill since you have a tick cooldown of 10 minutes. other than that you still need fight skills to stab people that want to stab you, body stats to boost overall performance, mind logic to even sail a boat that you can go and loot in, possibly crafting skills to maintain your gear.

defending yourself? well, that depends on if you really want to only go there and pvp at times or actually live on the pvp server.

however, my suggestion would be to check out the recruitment subforums and check out Pandemonium, Dreadnaught Dynasty and The Crusaders and learn the basics of pvp before considering doing something by yourself. especially since i think living on a pvp server fully rather than just hopping there once in a while has a very different feeling to it.

Lastly I know that there is a huge steep learning curve and a lot of grinding if someone wants to progress… But how much time you think would it get to get to a decent state and maybe have a character than can do the things I’ve listed above?

grinding in this game has a lot of factors to it. having knowledge about the most optimal way to grind and access to good enchanted tools and possibly help  in grinding skills makes a very big difference.

back when i started i never couldve even imagined you could grind a skill as fast as i do it sometimes these days.

Thank you for your time, any answer is much appreciated!

43 minutes ago, Arium said:

sadly this is a no. tamed animals have a couple penalties due to them being too strong in pvp ages back, so nowadays they are considerably weaker than their wild counterparts. noone really uses them since theres not much of a point to it, they die too quickly.

His answer is mostly correct. 
However, if you plan on PVPing your taming skill will be important because Hell Horses are a major asset. 

Thank you everyone for your answers! Were rather enlighenting, some clarification about how servers work would also be nice!

Actually I'm in a state that I want to choose a MMO for a long term relationship and there are quite a few in the list...

More general information about WO features and gameplay would really help me decide. Anythink you like in the game or you think is kinda related to my playstyle which I've roughly described in the first post. Maybe about cooking/fishing and the magic system. Or if you have a link that has more info about the features and possible playstyles.

Tbh I'm mostly afraid of the grind and the time it takes to get somewhere and that I found combat rather dull and simplistic.

Cheers!

Edited by Mplez

Servers

As you already know, each server is a different island that you can travel in-between via boats. You may only travel inter-cluster, to get to another cluster you must use a Portal. There are two clusters:

Freedom: Includes all 7 of the PvE servers as well as Chaos, which is PvP.

Epic: Includes 4 PvP servers, one of which is for premium players only. It is called Elevation; note that the Epic clusters population is severely lacking.

There are no loading screens between each server-island it is instant. You may travel to other servers as a free player via either swimming (unadvised, you will most likely drown) or using a rowboat, which is the only boat able to be commanded by a free player. So yes, as a premium player you may travel inter-cluster at any time.

- Ronanvv