Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Convert wall to window

It strikes me that it's a shame to knock something down and rebuild it when all it needs is a hole.
Obviously you wouldn't be able to convert it `back`
possible? viable? lame idea?
pray tell

• Like 4

I somehow made the wrong kind of T-arch yesterday and wound up with Trim.  Ran to the forge and made a pair of pliers... voila.  Plain stone as I originally wanted without destroying it and starting over.

Wouldn't have been the end of the world, but it was nice that I could do it.

I think the same is possible with those fancy looking window things right?

+1 for the suggestion.

I'd say maybe a heavy/large maul to bust a hole through stone, pottery, etc.

Maybe a saw or hatchet for wood/timber walls?  (or new item, wood chisel?  I digress...)

I'd also suggest making it go both ways.

• 5 bricks + 5 mortar to fill in a window, activate trowel.
  • 5 planks + 1 small nails to cover up window, activate mallet.
  • 5 clay + 5 grass to cover up window, activate mallet.
  • Like 4

+1   Also would be great to be able to use some sort of tool to convert a regular door wall to one with a small window (similar to the wooden Canopy door).  

I would be up for a material cost to turn, say a window into a full wall. Couple planks, or bricks, or nails... Etc etc. A portion of the materials invested to change the wall for another one of the same type (wood for wood, plain stone for plain stone). Being able to turn a door into a window or a wall into a door can cause some issues otherwise. Flipping a door into a wall during a raid so it can't be picked, for example, or popping new windows for you to shoot out of.

It also doesnt make much sense. Using pliers to pull a window into existence? What?

Adding materials requirement would mitigate any potentials issues, however. My 2i.

It is nice idea. I hate when I build a wrong wall type.
+1

It turns out that this thread already exists, i guess i shoulda bumped that one, oops.

+1. Cost of building windows and arched walls initialy should also be reduced accordingly

As long as it requires some material - not the full bang - this makes sense. Windows are not created by smashing a hole into a wall and calling it done, so a bit of wood or mortar for the trims and to keep bricks coming down is good. Id suggest a large maul to do the job, or a crowbar on wooden walls.

• Like 1

+1 too. would be nice to edit the walls without bashing away all the time. and would let people experiment or change their house after a time more easily, so long as you turn the wlal type to an other of the same material it stands to reason that part of the used materials are kept during the change