Sign in to follow this  
Shyruban

New Southern Xanadu very long highway

Hi...

I have been working on this monster highway in Southern Xanadu for over a month now to link to Lormere and I finally finished it last night, it was an insane amount of work but also a lot of fun.

It opens up a whole lot of wilderness and is most likely the longest continuous highway built in one go, it's also for certain the longest highway entirely paved in sandstone bricks and slabs, obviously seeing those are new.

After 1\3 was done, I decided to border the road with moss instead of sand, I just thought it cool cooler for the forest parts.

It's a cool ride, many cool scenic spots, places to hunt and a lot of new places to start new deeds. I plan on building a public Inn behind where the fountain is and also a short secondary road to a nearby desert, for hunting, if someone wants too cook at inn :)

I decided to build this thing because we almost never get new players where we are here down south, it's pure luck when someone gets lost and ends up here, so trying to bring some life to our area.

The tunnel part which is 207 tiles long is only 1 tile wide at the moment but I'll be completing it in the coming 2 weeks or so, but one can ride through the mountain as is.

I've attached a few screenshots and a map showing where the highway is.

I did a large part of the work on my own but I did get some precious help from a few players and i wish to thank them.

Crysariana for cutting an insane amount of trees, without whom I'd still be at it :)

Baloo for the help in the tunnel, mining (she hates mining ), strongwall where the tunnel opened up into an old mine and 8 hours of digging in the wilderness.

Korsarul for donating 24 crates of dirt.

Nacciwa for donating 29 crates of dirt.

Snowtech for analyzing and some mining in tunnel.

Popy for imping my tools which took some serious beating.

And all of them who at times were most likely getting a bit fedup of hearing of my crazy highway over a month + period of time.

Hopefully, I didn't forget anyone, let me know if I did.

Rv4X46K.jpg 

21GJOQ7.jpg

bpDH5wo.jpg

LfadGwY.jpg

ffWEjCC.jpg

zf3RAia.jpg

Edited by Shyruban
typos
  • Like 24

It looks Awesome i think a couple of us are coming over to ride you highway and enjoy the scenic vistas. Great Job Slow!!!!!

I look forward to seeing it completed :)

50 minutes ago, Shyruban said:

After 1\3 was done, I decided to border the road with moss instead of sand, I just thought it cool cooler for the forest parts.

Great idea on the moss edge borders! That is rarely used that way along highways. The color does look very good with forest surroundings and keeps any plants from growing there too. Well done on your mammoth undertaking!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 3

I scrolled down through the pictures, got to the lava spider... freaked out:blink:,  then thought, "good thing there's a highway there" :lol:

I second Ayes as well, the moss borders with the sandstone pavement looks great!

Gotta say they should make moss the thing for perma highways instead of sand, looks really great and blends a hella lot better than sand! Great job on this! :D

From the few images it looks amazing, I love much better the 2 tile wide roads than the now fashioned 3 tile ones - and if you would have added sand to it it would be too wide optically for me. The moss is a great idea!

Sandstone gives it a distinctive look as well, it is very sure I'll ride through it when I'm next time at my Xana deed very close to it.

That connection was long needed I think, great job!

• Like 1

Traveled it from end to end. Alot of great scenic spots along the way. Road runs close to several desert area's for great hunting. The sandstone paving was a plesant change from the norm, and the moss lining the road was a nice touch that added to it. Your long hours of work really paid off and gave me a few ideas for my own deed. Thanks for pleasant trip through what was once all wilderness. Your road was a great community boon i think. Great job!!!!!!

• Like 2

Very nice touch on the moss! 
It's one of those small things that has always been there but not many actually have thought of using it, even though it's not at all harder to do than sand stripes :)

• Like 2

Hi

At exactly midway of highway I decided to build some sort of inn, named it Sandstone Slumber.

so inn, animal pen, guard tower, 6 bedrooms, a mine, a kitchen, mailbox,  there will be workshop soon, still need lots of furniture and deco as well as lighting.

fFUNGyE.jpg

Z6EOIHq.jpg

Edited by Shyruban
forgot to add something
  • Like 8

I am a fellow highway builder and this looks like a lot of fun that I missed out on.  As for not using sand, I too avoid using the stuff as a long enough strip turns it into spawning dessert critters.   The point of a road is to funnel traffic, and for a safer travel experience.

Wonderful job! Looking forward to a scenic ride and maybe scout out an area to deed.:)

Wow! Nice job! And as a native of Xanadu, thank you so much for your efforts! Once this is done I will feel so much more willing to go and explore the mainland.

follow the sandstone brick and slab road.. follow the sandstone brick and slab road.. oh follow follow follow follow the sandstone brick and slab road....heheh couldn't resist..

good job nice to see effort pay off with rewards for all to use.. including the newbs..now to get my masonry up to build a sandstone oasis in the desert a la Frank Herbert style Dune ..

On 7/4/2017 at 0:18 PM, Ayes said:

Great idea on the moss edge borders! That is rarely used that way along highways. The color does look very good with forest surroundings and keeps any plants from growing there too. Well done on your mammoth undertaking!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Yes, I love those moss borders.  The road looks amazing.

**slinks away and steals idea**

Edited by Amadee

Great job! One of the first things I will do as soon as animals can be brought over server borders.... travel Xanadu once again. :)

On 7/28/2017 at 5:18 PM, Malena said:

Wow! Nice job! And as a native of Xanadu, thank you so much for your efforts! Once this is done I will feel so much more willing to go and explore the mainland.

Hehe, it is done and has been since i posted this couple weeks ago :)

Great job. ?

Going to be widening a road my deed sits on soon and was thinking of using Moss for the sides. Now I've seen yours I definitely will be doing. ?

I had never realized moss could be planted... I always thought it was like peat, tar, etc.  That looks beautiful :)