Sign in to follow this  
Lei

Scabards, sheaths, and holsters

Scabbards, Sheaths, and holsters

VJpRKYL.png

Original Wurm Character models

Character customization has come a long way in Wurm. When I started the game, every single character online looked identical. Green tunic, green pants, black belt with a gold buckle. Now we can choose how our characters faces look right down to the crook in our nose. With all the new cosmetic items as of late (masks, shoulder pads, new necklace models) I'm sure many players are dreaming of the possibilities of how their Wurm Online character could look. And while many players are asking for new items (capes, cloaks, scarves, etc), I think that there is a blatantly obvious omission from the existing character appearance.

Every single character in this game carries an object in their hand. Ninety nine percent of players carry a weapon. Sword, axe, staff - you have it, there are many weapons. But not one of them has a sheath. No scabbards. Not one holster on Wurm Online. Imagine a war party riding out on horseback, with axes slung over shoulders. Swords dangling from belt sheaths. Staves slotted in holsters diagonally across the back. It'd be practical in the real world, but it'd simply look nice in Wurm.

j47tDLC.png

An example of how weapon sheathing could look.

The way I imagine it working is whenever you go out of your fighting stance (right click > No Target after engaging an opponent), the game would check if you have a scabbard, sheath, or holster equipped. If so, and so long as the weapon type you have correlates to the type of sheath you have, you will put your weapon away into it. The current "no-targeted idle" can remain in game for the people who don't have a sheath equipped. Perhaps there could be an advantage to sheathing your weapon. Increases in movement speed could be one. It can be slight, but would still give a reason for people who are out of combat to "no-target" in order to get the speed "buff". Other buffs could include crafting bonuses (you work faster when your weapon is away, and a tool in your hand) - and could perhaps, shorten action timers. And I'm just mentioning a few ideas, but you could even expand it further. Sheathing would be great!

And by the way, I'm not suggesting that this be added ASAP. Its a cool idea, but I am sure there are other things that will be prioritized. This would just be a cool little perk sometime down the road with this game.

So, Wurmians, what do you think? Should weapon sheathing be a thing? Post what you think below!

Edited by Lei
  • Like 9

+1 Like so many things in this game it's really a question of, "Why on earth don't we have this yet?"

+100000 cos im sick of walking around with my sword waving in front of me like those probing canes visually impaired people use

• Like 1

+1

For long I thought I wanted a cape. Now I want to rest my axe on my back.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

+1

For long I thought I wanted a cape. Now I want to rest my axe on my back.

This

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:13 AM, Lei said:

The way I imagine it working is whenever you go out of your fighting stance (right click > No Target after engaging an opponent), the game would check if you have a scabbard, sheath, or holster equipped. If so, and so long as the weapon type you have correlates to the type of sheath you have, you will put your weapon away into it.

A great suggestion that you have *revisited* here. Your description above is just as I would prefer these items to function. Always having my 2hand sword showing in my hand while not fighting 98% of the time is an irritating and inapplicable visual effect. These types of items would resolve the situation nicely.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

+1 I've actually taken to manually unequipping my weapon and shield when on deed, 'cause I feel silly walking around with a giant battleaxe for no reason. Sheathing would give me the same thing but without the danger of afk death by troll when I forget to re-equip them.

• Like 2

+1 Because running around with a sword in the hand looks like you'll going to pierce yourself every moment :P

+1

adds a layer of communication in PvP?  I just imagine whipping out the huge axe in the middle of a negotiation to drive the point home... or sheathing my sword asap so the player approaching means I'm not looking for a fight.

And it just looks cool.

• Like 2

+1 Please!

Here's a suggested mechanic for them I posted a few years back on the subject: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/71220-weapon-sheathing/

On 12/13/2012 at 7:18 AM, Xallo said:

You should automatically sheathe and unsheathe a weapon depending on whether or not you're targeting something or not.

As soon as you target something, you draw your weapon. After you either kill the target, or you no-target, your weapon should automatically be sheathed again.

Maybe you could require wearing a scabbard around the legs or torso, depending on weapon? Bows would obviously require a torso scabbard on the back, while a single-handed longsword, maul, or axe would require a scabbard placed on the legs (such as the toolbelt). The larger weapons would require torso scabbards that hang on your back as well.

Simple idea, but I think it would save a lot of headaches for people who dislike seeing their weapons flail around uncontrollably in front of them.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

Some deeds could require weapons being sheathed with perhaps settings optional for warnings or outright attack from guards. Though cannot see that being an issue except for deeds of a more liberal stance towards various kingdoms doing business in their domain.

Sheathed weapon could have a slightly longer delay in attacking.

Personally sheathes, scabbards, bandoliers, belts, etc work well as extra hotkeys or slots.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Was thinking of making a post about this, but there are plenty of em already.

So +1 for this idea :)