Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Book Making

Um, now that you say it, Klaa, I guess this is the new skill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cecci said:

Um, now that you say it, Klaa, I guess this is the new skill.

Better than an artifacts skill I once spent months tinkering with before giving up and asking Rolf... to learn the terrible truth, even before the artifact overhaul. 

Definitely an old idea long over due.

Edited by Slickshot

Put a similar idea out there back in February, but I'm still totally onboard with this idea.

It'd be nice to see not only written books, but also maybe people could write 'skill' books that give boosts or temp affinities that longer than food affinities.

And, of course, spells...

I'd suggest that with the way some things decay at different rates according to how they are carried/stored already, and the way real-world books can be easily ruined or last for centuries according to how they are stored and cared for that this be worked into it. For example storing them on bookshelves or in another new item(an oilskin/waxed waterproof bag) keeping them from decaying, but leaving them on the ground quickly causes them to decay, and dropping them in water or carrying them without the waterproof bag and getting in the water yourself ruins them or at least causes heavy damage to them.

Edited by Cadh20000

Bumping this one here.  Thinking about some notes I could have written in game.

The Necronomicon, a my first book edition.  - Nomadikhan

Aka +1

• Like 1

+1 all the way! It's small things like this that can really make a big difference to the game. It will also help things feel more immersive for me to be writing my notes in an in game book rather than using windows notes lol. So many possibilities with this!

This is a great idea.

Back when I played Ultima Online we stories in books and collected the various books we could find in the game world, it was a great way to read about the various stories through the history of Ultima.

We would write quests guides in them.  Guides on how to do things.  Kill a friend on an alt, and leave a book in his corpse taunting him :) 

They could add add books to the Archelogy items.

Players could write an actual Cookbook.

Rare books that could be found as loot on various creatures.

• Like 2

+1. as always. and pretty sure one of the first book written will be something silly, so its clearly something we need :D

+1. I'm very interested in the idea of making books. Also a less confining character cap on pages.

3 hours ago, kronic said:

Please add this

We can make books in the game as of right now , you know that right?

9 hours ago, Sn00 said:

We can make books in the game as of right now , you know that right?

Oh, so we can create books with as many pages as we want, with anything we want on those pages? Interesting, how do we do this? I assume there is a way to mass produce these books also?
What about bookshelfs for storing those books so we can have libraries?
I want to be able to collect a copy of every book I come across and create a library. 
Sorry, Ive missed many updates.

Im also interested in suggesting a animal feeder of some sort. Like a trough. I know its been suggested before but I think its seriously needed.
also digging to piles. I know there is some feature in the game that does this, but it works nothing like the "digging to piles" mods from wurm unlimited.

Edited by kronic

On 11/12/2018 at 3:03 AM, kronic said:

Oh, so we can create books with as many pages as we want, with anything we want on those pages? Interesting, how do we do this? I assume there is a way to mass produce these books also?
What about bookshelfs for storing those books so we can have libraries?
I want to be able to collect a copy of every book I come across and create a library. 
Sorry, Ive missed many updates.

Im also interested in suggesting a animal feeder of some sort. Like a trough. I know its been suggested before but I think its seriously needed.
also digging to piles. I know there is some feature in the game that does this, but it works nothing like the "digging to piles" mods from wurm unlimited.

It's not unlimited pages, and all of this information can be easily found on the wiki.

+1, I could totally get in on this. New players could start with a "How to play" Book too too help with the learning curve. Players can make business ledgers to store information.

Can decay be fixed on pages inside of books for like......no decay?  Seems books don't decay, but pages do.  What's the point of books and bookshelves and writing stories on paper to share with others if pages decaying?  This public sandbox being stingy.

Point someone to a bookshelf and have them read up on village and alliance stories, notes, announcements, pvp winnings.