Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Plantable crops in mines

Considering the new village planning that was ushered in by mine buildings, mine fences, mine paving, wall decorations , etc., many friends and players have asked if we are going to get the option to plant stuff on mine tiles so horses can graze? 

I'm not sure what the coding implications would be, but for example we could build dirt troughs and plant mushrooms to grow in mines so horses can graze while near them (or maybe tied to them). would alleviate the current issues for people having to dump 100s or 1000s or wheats and veggies to feed mine horses and make mine villages and dwarven cities more viable. 

What does the wurmian within thee believe? Viable, neccesary?  Would be nice for horses to graze in mine farms? 

Edited by shakys
Content
  • Like 1

+1 to mushrooms

As for animals... bsb/fsb-like items that allow animals to eat out of them (mangers) would also be acceptable

Its not a bad idea. The only issue I see with it is its potential abuse in pvp. People could completely live off mines reducing or completely eliminating the need of doing anything aboveground. As it stands now, pmks have massive off deed farms to make their favor. These are often raided by enemy kingdoms to provoke a response or a defense. It contributes to content. Having them hidden inside a mine protected with a 90ql stone door would make it not worth the effort to raid.

A change like this should be tested before being brought over to pvp servers.

Crops require sunshine to grow.  This isn't a logical suggestion.

• Like 1

Which is why i suggested growing mushrooms in caves, where many species don't really need sunshine, just a damp, moisture and a little bit of love. 

Besides, it's a fantasy game, just bless a lamp, plant it near crops and voila, light, can say the blessing makes it ultraviolet to help grow crops :D

• Like 1

I like the idea of feed troughs/mangers.

If its a problem with PVP, make it PVE only. Its a shame how much potential goes unfulfilled in this game because "it would make pvp less ideal", when the reality is the majority of the player base is PVE.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wargasm said:

grow lamps =p

we don't need farms underground, but something like mushrooms that you could grow in small quantities and graze animals on would be cool

I don't think it would affect pvp much as opening up massive mines underground on smaller war deeds would not be such a great idea security wise

Edited by JakeRivers

As in another thread suggesting this, I would think that moss (not the same type as above ground) would be more fitting to grow in caves for animals to be able to graze upon. Devs could just name it *cave moss* so as not to confuse it with the above ground coding for moss. Anyway, basically the concept for some type of grazing material in mines is a good one, I agree.

=Ayes=

On 2017-6-29 at 3:12 PM, Wargasm said:

Have you seen household plants... They don't need to be placed near the windows. I have plenty in my workplace, all it takes is water and the light from the bulbs.

+1

Indeed, so + 99999 for plantable shrooms or moss in caves so our dear horses won't starve. 

On 6/29/2017 at 2:12 PM, Wargasm said:

Makes perfect Wogical sense to me to grow in the dark. I mean, crops can take growth ticks at night time. 

+1

this has been suggested about 4 times in the last 2 months, one way or another. 
yet here sits a new thread. 
in the previous ones i linked information on `fungi are not plants` and the usefulness of mycelium but, why bother putting the effort in this time, there'll be another thread pop up in a few weeks. hell im not even going to plus one it.

• Like 1

I don't know of anyone that raids farms on either pvp server.

I'm always up for mofe growing options though. +1.

-1 I think the crops need sunlight, but the enchanted grass doesn't need it. :)

-1 There's tons of space above ground that the mole people can come out sometimes if they want crops or they can buy from surface dwellers.  Caves are dark and dank and unsuitable for plantlife.

On 29/06/2017 at 6:08 PM, Angelklaine said:

. Having them hidden inside a mine protected with a 90ql stone door would make it not worth the effort to raid.

Underground houses on pvp servers are a joke anyway, screw 90ql stone door get 90ql steel door, now that is cancerous. Then add all the gates and houses inside and the fact they can be repaired, and only a battering ram can damage them inside the mine (and it is very weak compared to catapults and trebuchets now lmao) who cares about crops they easy to grow just takes time, i dont know anyone that would bother just raiding a place for crops

+1 it aint gonna harm sheettttt

Edited by Firecat

On 01/07/2017 at 6:23 PM, Annyil said:

-1 I think the crops need sunlight, but the enchanted grass doesn't need it. :)

On 01/07/2017 at 8:31 PM, Seriphina said:

Caves are dark and dank and unsuitable for plantlife.

Starting to think we should agree with these two, Things should start making sense. Less remove blessed lamps and lamps lasting forever on deeds/turning on at night and off during the day. We should fuel EVERY lamp on our deed AND on the roads, and be required to manually turn them on or off (or ask spirit templar to fuel with olive oil barrels). We should also require irrigation systems for our current farms, ones that AREN'T connected to the ocean to make sure our crops get watered without salt. Hey, we should even have our vehicles take damage every time we move maybe about 10 tiles? That way we can repair the wear and tear from riding the cart everywhere. Better yet, Just remove Priest in general! Lets make change priest into Placebo-ist. Make it so when a Placebo-ist "cast" coc on a pickaxe, its not really coc. And people with low mind logic are tricked into believing so and get the good effect while people with high mind logic + mind aren't fooled well and don't get the full effect of coc. Same for woa, and weapons. Remove flaming aura and frostbrand and make it so you have to keep your weapon in a forge for temporary burn damage or in a container with snowballs for temporary frost damage. 

JUST KIDDING!

Lets keep all the things unrealistic that we enjoy, and think of a different reason as to why we don't want farms underground other than realism.

What if in order to grow the plants underground, you need a priest to cast a spell that creates solar energy to grow plants for a certain period of time under ground.  I think the spell should be expensive, like maybe cost a certain amount of gems ql in your inventory in order to cast it.  (hopefully increasing the demand for gems).

Non harvestable patches of moss, that animals can graze from, in caves near water level could be a thing.

Growing plants underground, using oil lamps to replace sunglight? thats just plain silly.

And I have to say it again, its not about realism, its about suspension of disbelief.  If you see a mythical creature in the lord of the rings, you buy into the idea, if elves show up in minivans with modern assault rifles, its no more unrealistic than mythical creatures, but it throws you off of the world you are trying to get inmerse into.

As long as people cant tell the diference between those two concepts, they will keep saying the same dumb s*it "but dragons!", missing the important points. tagging  @Yiraiafor no particular reason.

• Like 1