Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Player counting

A lot of wurm's mechanics can be abused via large numbers of alts.  Be it riskless PvP spying, alt sermons, unique hunts or various other mechanics.

A pretty simple fix to the vast majority of this is an extra step during login that assigns a unique Id based on player IP/Mac.

Two characters with the same id logged in on a PvP server in different kingdoms?  Flag them to both kingdoms' officials.

Low number of unique ids at a unique hunt?  Unique gets tougher.

Count each id at most twice for sermons (couples do play).

The list goes on.

Some people would work around this; but it would make it a lot harder to do so.

Why do this?  It opens up player count as a much more reliable mechanic and would enable much more balance to community features.

For years (it appeared) Rolf encouraged use of alts  via things like holding several deeds with alts, priest alts etc. I always figured wurm was small enough that he liked/needed the extra subs. I'm not against doing away with the alt spam, but it would take a serious rethink because wurm at it's core is built on alts.

• Like 1

Alt's really isn't that much of an issue on Chaos. Most of the time it's new players popping alarms and they get blamed as being alts of other kingdoms - but they are not. There is already an anti-spy prevention that doesn't allow a player to be logged into two characters in two different kingdoms at the same time as well.

As for freedom... well if players are paying extra for having more premium toons then they are getting what they are paying for and making the most of it. Why penalise them for investing money into the game?

• Like 3

It wouldn't make it any harder to use different kingdom alts than it is now, or pretty much anything else. 
Turn on VPN... problem solved. Unfortunately, I think alt abuse has reached the level of "unsolvable problem."

Edited by Matholameu

it'd be nice to see how many IP's are actually playing. 
course i think it'd be nice to see how many people have kchat turned on. 
At the moment it's a little .. pointless because most of the people in the tab would be alts. 
this would be a fix. 
+1

There should be no reason why Wurm should penalize someone for investing into the game. Its absurd. -1

i'm not sure how it'd penalize, i clearly haven't read this suggestion properly.

edit

On 6/29/2017 at 11:54 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Low number of unique ids at a unique hunt?  Unique gets tougher.

ah. 
The main suggestion i think is  sound but the suggested integration of it, is ludicrous.
unfortunately it's so ridiculous that it belittles the original suggestion.
I'll keep my +1 there because im not voting on how the idea would be applied, i am voting merely, for freedom of information.

Edited by Steveleeb

Kind of like deeds that you might not like someone having multiples of.  Anything that funnels money into the game is a good thing.  Alts or whatever.  Never limit it.

-1 .  How is alt using a bad thing? Not like you can PVP on 2 characters at the same time, it's downright impossible . Even if it was a bad thing, even if it did change up a few gameplay mechanics and player mentalities, what's the point of argueing about this? You pay 10 euros for an account a month it's your account to do sermons, pvp, mine tunnels or whatever. Imagine how much revenue would be lost if alt usage was doomed out of existance, most people have at least 2 characters, heck, you can't play both a priest and a crafter on one account... stop talking about this as if its the devil's spawn, not like a 20 body alt is gonna oneshot your 70BS sotg monster toon...

-1, Can it wait until im done rare hunting? When my premium runs out I plan on playing as 4 non premium characters making bulk planks and shafts just to make nearly all the rare tools(because non prem have just as good a chance as prem with rares, just not supremes). Nothing wrong with that right... Rolf encourages it right...

Spoiler

A0TneE6.jpg

^Example of what will happen after [09:10:37] You have premium time until 19 Jul 2017 19:53:38 GMT, Haven't actually started pumpin' stuff out yet.