Sign in to follow this  
Shydow

Update Fishing

Fishing is in a very strange place right now, compared to virtually all other skills in Wurm. It has extreme length action timers (which can end at any time), and does not benefit from WoA, but does not have the enchant protection for CoC that Meditation has. The QL of fish caught is very random, even at high level, similar to old gathering skills (eg. Foraging and Botanizing, pre-update). Fishing also is unaffected by virtually any of the new runes. Too large of fish (Roughly 3+ kg), when fileted, also do not give any butchering skill, making higher QL large fish useless for trying to grind.

My suggestions for fishing are as follows:

• Have fish of any size give butchering skill no matter the number of filets produced
  • Have fish QL follow the new harvesting formula: Skill +/- ((100 - Skill) / 5), and fish type more reliant on skill (less likely to get Catfish at low skill)
  • Give fishing rods enchant protection similar to meditation rugs
  • Have fish QL affected by the Bronze rune of Libila (+10% gather QL)

With these changes, it brings fishing more in line with other similar skills, lets high fishing skill not be a detriment to grinding butchering, and gives more reliable QL of fish.

• Like 16

Taken a code dive. Skill already does influence the fish type, and size (size is QL for fish). My math isn't powerful enough to display the link easily, but it's noticable if you were to suddenly change skill, and gradual as you fish.

I can agree with the butchering, within reason (50 butchering actions would be very silly) and what's enchant protection?

As far as the opinions go, though, the timer's fine. You don't know when fish will bite.

Enchant protection, as in, a meditation rug's CoC value will never go down, no matter how often it is used. A fishing rod, however, works like a normal tool, and has a small chance to decrease at every 5 second interval during the fishing actions. Given that one action can be multiple minutes, this happens quite often.

As to skill vs QL/size of fish, I am aware that higher skill does help, but with my suggestion, the QLs of low weight fish and high weight fish would be similar to your skill, and your skill matters significantly more for the type (and weight ratio) of the fish.

• Like 1

i would burn down the COC of fishing rods real quick while i was skilling. about 1-2 days would go from 97 to 80

• Like 1

The ability to catch whales would be nice... after you kill them they are just 50kg.. so...

On 6/27/2017 at 9:11 PM, Shydow said:

Too large of fish (Roughly 3+ kg), when fileted, also do not give any butchering skill, making higher QL large fish useless for trying to grind.

On 6/27/2017 at 9:11 PM, Shydow said:

Have fish of any size give butchering skill no matter the number of filets produced

I think for sure a +1 at least to working on the issue of skilling for fish fillets.  Some fish are quite large and yield a lot of fillets, but even if there was some sort of "max cap" to the # of fillet that would grant xp that would be nice

• Like 2

I just want to get rid of the fillet limit. Marlin and white sharks max out at 50 fillets at 15ql, so anything above that is wasted. Let's get rid of the fillet limit!

• Like 1

I don't see any reasonable reasons for this to be unreasonable. +1!

+1 and maybe add some rare items you could fish up! Like a old hat or boot to wear -.-

I don't like quests, but be cool to fish up a bottle with a treasure map.  Maybe it makes you go to another server and find the treasure and not the server you are on.

• Like 2

Fishing on Wurm is extremely boring/pointless. Heck, when I first started, it used to give a line out to your bobber visually, and that doesn't even function anymore from what I've seen...

I'm up to 44 fishing, but only because I have 6 queue (55+ ML) and can AFK fish. In other games, I had max fishing on multiple characters (We're talking games with 375+ levels worth of fishing..). That's how boring this game's fishing is...

It used to give butchering gains a lot more too, and that was a reason to fish for the big fish...but then they nerfed that too. I agree they need to adjust the fishing butchering skill-gains and take away their nerfs of it, or adjust it so it doesn't give loads of it or something. All large fish that you butchered should give some skill ticks for each bit of meat you managed to make.

As for it getting the +/- 5 thing...I'm leery of putting all the skills on that system, because it effectually gives you no RNG at all, and you are guaranteed a + or - 5 of your level fish...and that is kinda ludicrous because fishing a lake you're going to find a wimpy fish or 10 and a big fish or 3 (Just making up numbers in my head.)...unless you find that one really nice watering hole that has the beauties in it (Secret fishing spots....in this game...located with the pendulums...which really needs some work/adjustments to it also...because mine gives all or nothing and doesn't give directions like the dousing rod version of pendulum for finding water does...)

I also don't support the runes (I feel as though they stole this idea from Runescape, which I've played.) that have to be acquired/crafted from materials found at rifts (Which feels like they stole the idea from Rift...which I've played also.)

As for 'enchant protection' or whatever...I don't have enchants on any of my stuff (Except 1 X-mas gift someone sent me.) because they've essentially shunted priests off into a 'You need to make an alt' and I refuse to make an alt on this game...and I certainly wouldn't double pay for the game to make one. The fact that they want that to remain a thing bothers me. They are effectively denying access to a whole sub section of their game (Magical abilities) and saying only people who pay the game more money are allowed access...so essentially catering to 'whales'.

Yes, they need to do some adjustments to how fishing functions on this game, certainly...but no I don't agree with all your salient points on how they should...

I'd offer more points on how I think they should, but I doubt they'd listen anyway...

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:10 AM, Corsan said:

As for it getting the +/- 5 thing...I'm leery of putting all the skills on that system, because it effectually gives you no RNG at all, and you are guaranteed a + or - 5 of your level fish...and that is kinda ludicrous because fishing a lake you're going to find a wimpy fish or 10 and a big fish or 3 (Just making up numbers in my head.)...unless you find that one really nice watering hole that has the beauties in it (Secret fishing spots....in this game...located with the pendulums...which really needs some work/adjustments to it also...because mine gives all or nothing and doesn't give directions like the dousing rod version of pendulum for finding water does...)

The thing about this is, you would still end up with wimpy fish and big fish, but of a more consistent QL. You could still catch Roach, Herring, and Perch (The largest of these topping out at a whooping 0.5kg at 100 QL). This change would simply make the QL of the "large" fish more consistent. Since the QL is important for things like cooking, it would help high skill become more reliable for high QL, similar to Farming, Foraging, and Botanizing, which are all on the new harvesting QL system.

• Like 1

+1

and +1 to hauling in occasional junk, including the elusive kelp, random adventurer hats and leather boots, and other stuff from the deep. Maybe pearls.

• Like 3

Like most of the ideas here, adding my own

Why do we not have fishing nets?

We have big boats, and nets, but amazingly not allowed to use nets for fishing!

Would love to see fishing baskets (make out of reeds) and other pve hunting traps as well, but that's just dreaming.

• Like 1

+1

Yes, please please can we have this changed? It takes a lot of the joy away from landing those big fish with the way it is!

Edited by Naiani

Would be cool to see a deeper system with fishing, tackle for different fish, laying out cages and checking them the next day to see if crabs/lobster walked in, setting up Trawler nets and checking them after a few hours by boat.

make it all permission based so people can't access it, get us out on boats a bit more. 

I think you can make fishing a lot more interesting without that much effort tbh

• Like 2

I would love it if we could have crab pots, or shrimp pots. I agree, set them up on the shoreline, and come back in a day or so to see if you caught anything. building them based on both carp and your fishing skill?

bump for anything that makes it possible to catch a 190 kg fish

Didn't read all so not sure if was mentioned;

Add ability to fishing while moving in a boat. Give us something to do while traveling.

• Like 2