Sign in to follow this  
Wulfmaer

Boat Tunnel - Vrock Lake to the Sea

Over the last a while this tunnel has been created (see history below).

o8nNHpW.png

Current Status: passable by boat (rowboats, sailboats and knarr). Depth will be increased to allow all boats once the ore veins have been mined out.

Cart access is available at points b, c, and d on the map - point a provides access to an underground harbour, and there is currently no western cart entrance (there was once access via the caves on the Winter's Night deed, but that has collapsed and left for anybody that re-deeds that spot).

The bridge inside the cave at the western end is bugged (it has been named to warn people) so do not use it to cross to the footpath. Bridge is no longer bugged.

There are lots of ore veins that still need to be mined out, so there will some weaving to do until these are removed. For those interested in helping mine out the ore there is a map available, see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12g02zThs1KFxJc7PhMRqtH3o2qhPnlUY9V41WrVy4Y4/edit?usp=sharing

Some History

Those with a long memory might remember this video from the Factional Fight brothers.

Hopefully McGarnicle will stop by and flesh out the early history. When I spoke to him about this project he mentioned that somebody had spent everyday for over a month with an alt army working on the tunnel.

What with burn out, and people relocating deeds in the year since the video, with only part of the tunnel with support beams, it was slowly decaying (not helped by a little bug that saw many tunnels have problems).

Having used this tunnel a number of times, a couple of months ago while using it as a short cut to a rift, the tunnel was blocked in a couple of places due to recent rockfalls. With the help of Gatling and Merina the rockfalls have been removed, together with a few of the ore veins, and the cave walls supported. I have also put some lighting in, to help dispel the Grue and light the way around the ore veins.

Some pictures of the tunnel, taken on a journey west to east.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 5

Very nice! I used it a couple times in the past when it was hardly passable (had to drag the boat a few times) and not marked on the map. Thank you for making it great again!

good job Wulfmaer I live 3 minutes away whne I have time ill come bang some ore.. maybe put signs on the low ql veins as I am non-prem right now..and ill do my best when I have time.. its a great cave and really helpful..

I have updated the tunnel map - it now shows the exact quality of the vein, and if you hover over it the amount left - see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12g02zThs1KFxJc7PhMRqtH3o2qhPnlUY9V41WrVy4Y4/edit?usp=sharing  This map is in two halves, on two tabs in Google sheets - the join is at the old harbour, easily recognized as I have put some greenish lamps there.

Psisimian, there are a number of lower quality iron veins. I have dropped colossus bricks by a few suitable veins. If you are entering from the east try the vein between the two silver veins in the wider part of the tunnel.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 1