Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Who is our forum host?

Who is our forum host?  I need to contact them and report their abysmal failure to provide usable levels of service to us.  Certainly nobody at Code Club is doing anything about it, so it is up to the players to make changes.  If we can't get these working properly, I think we should start a user group forum separate from Wurmonline official forums.

• Like 12

The last time they changed it just made it even worse, I don't think they know how to internet.

Domain Name: WURMONLINE.COM
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://tucowsdomains.com
Creation Date: 2003-06-12T18:10:28Z
Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
Registrant Name: Rolf Jansson

Browsing the forums on wired is fine, it's just posting or using 4g that the website completely craps out for me.

I can't believe the forums are as bad as they are.  Especially since they're apparently provided as a paid-for service.  Given we have a dedicated server admin, perhaps it's time to move the forums to some other platform, perhaps one of the free ones, but at least one that actually, y'know, works.

Our current forum issues are not based on the forum host, they're based on software issues that need to be addressed. After offering my help with fixing it I was turned down for the reason "It's being looked into already" so I'm assuming that somebody is working on fixing it and we just need patience :) 

11 hours ago, Wonka said:

Given we have a dedicated server admin

Do we really? Forums have been bad for years now.

17 hours ago, Yldrania said:

Our current forum issues are not based on the forum host, they're based on software issues that need to be addressed. After offering my help with fixing it I was turned down for the reason "It's being looked into already" so I'm assuming that somebody is working on fixing it and we just need patience :) 

Ok, I've read this a few times and come up scratching my head.  I greatly appreciate your offer to help though!  Here is what I wonder:  Forums were working.  Forums changed hosts.  Forums quit working.  Why is it a software issue?  Did Code Club write their own forum software and the hosts are merely providing bandwidth and compute?  If so, it is a software issue, because the 10 year old software isn't compatible with current platforms?

Edited by Wurmhole

Forums weren't working, software updates were neglected and caused chaos on our back end systems and the continued downtime.

since moving there's some latency issues which need addressing (causing the double posts as the system resends the messages)  

But these are under work, will keep you updated as we resolve them.

(and no, its not custom software)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Forums weren't working, software updates were neglected and caused chaos on our back end systems and the continued downtime.

since moving there's some latency issues which need addressing (causing the double posts as the system resends the messages)  

Some latency? Every post I make since the switch requires a refresh for me to see if its posted.

Every one.

I must add this is the only forum host I have ever had this problem on.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

To be honest, Retro, this is the first time in over 25 years of forums use that I have encountered such a terrible quality from a forums perspective. Its pretty bad. But not just bad. Its the worst. Forums are commonly used throughout the internet, and of all the forums I have seen, these are the worst. I should know, I spend my daily life here.

I don't think anything justifies so many problems for so long. I've been playing wurm for little less than a year and have seen the forums go from bad to rock bottom in my time here. At one point they were being fixed, and that's when it just took a plummet to the bottom of the barrel. Given the fact there are free forums plataforms out there that can be used that actually work, the only explanation is that fixing the forums is in the back burner for now. Someone got it to a somewhat useable state, then called it a day. 

There is no excuse for this. Sorry.

• Like 3

Jake and Angel are spot on.  This isn't "some latency".  I don't mind waiting a second or two for really bad latency.  I can literally get up, go make a coffee, come back and still not have a comment post.  Once in a while, they post within 10 seconds and I'm overjoyed!  I click back buttons and it is more like Monopoly game, where it sends me back to jail (the page I was already on).

I am no expert in running forums, but I am an expert in selling/consulting on technology solutions.  If Code Club bought some forum software, it came with a support contract.  Contact support and tell them this is not working as expected.  If they can't help, get a refund.  If Code Club let the support contract lapse (my guess here), then you in fact are on older, unsupported software and you need to upgrade to new.  If you just can't afford it, set up a Go Fund Me and let the community pitch in.  We all know Code Club runs on a very tight budget and that is ok. 

If you want me to go find and negotiate for a better solution, I'd be happy to.  It is what I do for a living.

I agree. But regardless, I'll be here forum fixed or not. So please, fix them!

Edited by Angelklaine

I have the same issue with it not visually showing I had a post posted but I've found that a post did infact go through or a PM went through even if on my screen it is still trying to send it; reloading the page shows me that my post or whatever it was went through.

Yes. Every single post I make requires me to refresh the page or wait about 3-10 minutes for it to post. How is that acceptable?

Worst forums ever.

I login here, edit one of my posts in the Sales threads, and all goes fine. When I try to edit a second post of mine, it goes to the edit screen, but the section where the text should be that I want to edit, is blank. I actually have to close my browser, open it, and then log back in for every f'n edit I want to make here. That is some big time broken.

:(

50 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Yes. Every single post I make requires me to refresh the page or wait about 3-10 minutes for it to post. How is that acceptable?

Never said it was acceptable; but it is being worked on as Retrograde said and he will be keeping folks updated on it ;)

• Like 1

That is good news indeed. I am, thus, pleased.

Then again I am a simple man. Very easy to please. :o

Out of interest, do people find using a different browser helping with some things at all? I found Mozilla caused all of my PM's to lag for about 30 seconds while posting was fine. I've had a bit of lag on posting a couple of times with Chrome, but the PM's are working perfectly...

I like Google. One of my clients. But, I don't use Chrome anymore. It has so many incompatibilities with different business apps, as well as Google maps (not always, but enough), so Firefox is my best option. Does anyone use IE? If so, you must be Bill Gates, because nobody else could possibly like IE. 

As far as the promise from Retro to keep us updated, it is a promise to update us when problems are resolved. Probably just an unconscious choice of words, but I really want updates on the work being done, as well as an understanding of the issues that exist. 

Let's solve this and let us (the community) help. 

I exclusively use. Chrome. it lags horribly both on pms and posts. I have to refresh every single time.

Sometimes I write a comment or send a msg and it literally takes like 2 minutes with the box grayed out lol, I've started just submitting and then just closing the window and moving on.

The issue appears to be an AJAX call when sending private messages and in certain cases when posting a reply to a topic.

I've been trying to give Daryl a hand by doing some more research and trying a few things. I did do a few things that seemed to improve the overall performance, but did not resolve this specific issue.

We are still actively working to find a resolution, but unfortunately none of the logging and debugging I've done has helped shed a light on the issue.

We will keep you posted.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Keenan said:

We will keep you posted.

So punny

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

The issue appears to be an AJAX call when sending private messages and in certain cases when posting a reply to a topic.

I've been trying to give Daryl a hand by doing some more research and trying a few things. I did do a few things that seemed to improve the overall performance, but did not resolve this specific issue.

We are still actively working to find a resolution, but unfortunately none of the logging and debugging I've done has helped shed a light on the issue.

We will keep you posted.

Well, this is very encouraging at least.  So has the software manufacturer chimed in?  I have to imagine they have encountered something similar with other clients.  If we are on an unsupported version and on our own, what is the bill to upgrade, or get back into compliance?  I'd love to talk to them and see what can be negotiated, to get back on track.  Maybe we can fund any costs through player donations.  Create a special cosmetic banner/wagon/cape/mask or something else as an award for donating to the cause?

Thank you for looking into this Keenan!