Sign in to follow this  
Reylaark

lockpicking heavily damaged containers...?

Kind of a suggestion though not sure I know enough about lockpicking to think through all the ramifications, so will need input.

Background:

The spot I deeded on Xanadu had an abandoned, locked BSB on it, and an abandoned, locked small cart.

I pushed those two items off my deed, and into perimeter so I could carry on terraforming, building, etc. without their being in the way.

I also pushed a loom off-deed as I wanted to build my own.

The BSB is now at 80+ damage.  The small cart is at 95+ damage.

I am letting them decay.

Suggestion:

The small cart is going to poof shortly.  I will let that happen.

I'm wondering if there is any point to not allowing us to lockpick such an item, given the imminent destruction of the item?

What if at 90+ decay, containers on Freedom are allowed to be lockpicked?  Or, with that much decay, the lock falls to the ground.  Considering lamps with heavy decay become unsecured, I had assumed the same would be true of locked, abandoned containers at a certain point.

Scavenging abandoned deeds is accepted practice (as noted in the recent hunting thread), and this would give a little value to lockpicking skill on Freedom.

Thoughts?

The point is no pvp actions on a pve server and obviously abuse as JakeRivers mentioned. It is a slippery slope, you start at 90, once that in, someone argues 80 would be enough,...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

it would lead to abuse

Which is entirely possible but if you could expand on that with a "for instance," that would be very helpful.

From where I stand, the thing's going to poof and be gone either way.  I'm pretty sure we can't just bash someone else's cart until it is damaged enough to pick... right?  I've never actually tried.

Would that be the problem?  If so then yeah, if anyone can just take a large maul to any bsb off-deed, that pretty much kills my suggestion rather dead :unsure:

For now I'm going to consider it just "mostly dead" until I can better understand the abuse you're envisioning.

1 minute ago, Chlodovech said:

The point is no pvp actions on a pve server and obviously abuse as JakeRivers mentioned. It is a slippery slope, you start at 90, once that in, someone argues 80 would be enough,...

Mission creep... always a concern, true.  Someone arguing 80 would be enough wouldn't mean the powers that be have to agree, but the danger does exist.

What about secured items currently going unsecured at a certain point though?  Same could have been said when that was implemented.

Is the lockpicking the concern?  What if the lock falls off at a certain amount of damage?

+1

Who lets an item/container they care about get above 90 damage?

• Like 3

actually nvm :)

Edited by Arium
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arium said:

actually nvm :)

I saw you quoted me but never saw the actual post. So consider it neverminded. :P

A month is nothing.

But anyway, it would lead to abuse

I'm always sad to see rare carts and pmk wagons go to full decay...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I'm always sad to see rare carts and pmk wagons go to full decay...

I completely agree with this, it's a waste. 

How long does it take most items to reach 90+ dam anyways?

Yes, one month is way too short, but items don't get to 90+ in a single month. Does it not literally take a year or more?

Maybe a little offtopic, but let me quote myself here:

On 20.02.2017 at 1:32 AM, zigozag said:

I've supported this when i was just starting, but now i think otherwise:

For everything in Wurm 100dmg means loss. Should it be a house, then 100dmg on a single wall. That is known (or must be) to everyone who has ever built a house, because permissions won't work until all the ground floor walls are in place. Now you're suggesting to make 90dmg lead to loss. No, this is wrong.

Maybe if vehicles (especially rare) at 100dmg became something named like "remains of supreme Knarr" and could then be repaired within a week saving rarity (using materials or some parts or w/e, since it's basically not damaged anymore, but falling apart)... But this sounds too complex of a feature compared to its necessity.

• Like 1

It is sad to watch them decay away but I do agree with the abuse.  There are times/instances where ###### happens.  Something gets left be it by someone that had permissions at one point or a bug or even by a mistake.  Then someone says hmmmmm that could be mine now.  Lock it up in one way or another  until decay is enough and then you claim it.  I hate to see them decay but I'd rather they decay than see the countless posts about my cart or whatever is missing and I think so and so has it.  For those that were not around for boat salvaging, you will not remember this kind of thing happening but I do.  Even remember a certain house of a certain person that had boats lining the walls.

• Like 1

A year ago I would have plus one'd it, but not anymore.

There are beautiful items in the world, and sometimes they get lost... get destroyed... stop existing... and there's nothing you can do about it. I think it suits with the (somewhat) harsh nature of Wurm, too. Not everything can be saved, not everything is forever.

A rare or PMK wagon you can still repair, improve, keep it on your deed as a marker of someone who has long gone. You can't use it, but it's a relic, a reminder of old times, of people who walked before you.

A locked container with the contents will leave you forever wonder what's inside.

That's Wurm :)

• Like 2

My thinking was really just that since we can pick up planted lights now after a certain amount of damage(all planted things I believe), this would be a similar thing.  Must not be as similar as I thought though, since it's looking like not many see it that way.

If the consensus is that this is too open to abuse, then I'm lacking imagination and it's a bad idea.  My evil mastermind skills seem to have atrophied with age -_-

I'm getting the feeling that the darned BSB is going to poof without my ever satisfying my curiosity :lol:  Such is life.

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

Maybe a little offtopic, but let me quote myself here:

Has this suggestion come up before?  I had searched when looking to nail down the rules, but didn't see a convo about this.  Link if you think it a good read?

@PashkaI remember dragging a sinking corbita along the entire southern coast of Deli, then north about halfway up.  It was named "Lady of Winter."  I can't even tell you how long it took but I was so excited to salvage that darned thing!  Never really knew why they did away with that, but they did.  My intent wasn't to mimic what they decided to take away.

I can't quite figure out how I would go about the abuse situation you're describing, but I appreciate the example.

6 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Has this suggestion come up before?  I had searched when looking to nail down the rules, but didn't see a convo about this.

Clicking that arrow in the top right corner of the quote would take you there, but here is the link:

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

Just now, zigozag said:

Clicking that arrow in the top right corner of the quote would take you there, but here is the link:

Doh!  Never knew that, thank you

-1 if you want something, make it, if you want something rare make 1000 of it... and containers (not including bsb, fsb, crate, small crate) contents drop onto ground as a pile when it poofs so just wait :)

Someone once told me that they thought rare items would revert to unfinished upon decay. This would be neat :)

+1 it's no different from secured items at certain dmg that becomes unsecured which we have now and i'm curious how people fail to see that. Also would be nice if i didnt grind my lockpicking just for pvp. Correct me if im wrong but there is no way to intentionaly bash or destroy locked bsb,wagon, ship, cart, etc so i don't see how could you abuse this? O.o

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reylaark said:

Kind of a suggestion though not sure I know enough about lockpicking to think through all the ramifications, so will need input.

Background:

The spot I deeded on Xanadu had an abandoned, locked BSB on it, and an abandoned, locked small cart.

I pushed those two items off my deed, and into perimeter so I could carry on terraforming, building, etc. without their being in the way.

I also pushed a loom off-deed as I wanted to build my own.

The BSB is now at 80+ damage.  The small cart is at 95+ damage.

I am letting them decay.

Suggestion:

The small cart is going to poof shortly.  I will let that happen.

I'm wondering if there is any point to not allowing us to lockpick such an item, given the imminent destruction of the item?

What if at 90+ decay, containers on Freedom are allowed to be lockpicked?  Or, with that much decay, the lock falls to the ground.  Considering lamps with heavy decay become unsecured, I had assumed the same would be true of locked, abandoned containers at a certain point.

Scavenging abandoned deeds is accepted practice (as noted in the recent hunting thread), and this would give a little value to lockpicking skill on Freedom.

Thoughts?

The floor is lava.

No seriously you could just move things into lava.

3 hours ago, kochinac said:

+1 it's no different from secured items at certain dmg that becomes unsecured which we have now and i'm curious how people fail to see that. Also would be nice if i didnt grind my lockpicking just for pvp. Correct me if im wrong but there is no way to intentionaly bash or destroy locked bsb,wagon, ship, cart, etc so i don't see how could you abuse this? O.o

- spawn lava under it

- fence it off and wait until it decays (i've heard of people being unable to retrieve their vehicles from a house built around it by somebody whien they were on a break, GMs refused to help)

- if you're allowed to embark as passenger, lure trolls or something stronger to it and fight embarked

• Like 1

Lava seems a fair lot like a potential source of abuse stopping us from having nice mechanics.

Why not disable lava in pve?