Sign in to follow this  
Zaramoth

Champion points from the Lights

So we have this system in game where Champions need points to stay champions. We also have artifacts that need charges to stay in the world and not be buried away again.

I believe the initial reasoning behind giving artifacts charges was to encourage situations where they could be lost, and to give strategic value to the 2 God altars.

I also believe that the altars would gain even more value, and be more often fought over, if champions could gain points from interacting with their light, or perhaps the main enemy altar. This would encourage pvp over and around the 2 altars.

I believe the interaction the champions do should be similar to that of the artifacts. A long timer, server-wide message, the sort of things that will let everyone know who is doing what and where. If this wouldn't be enough to cause people to show up hoping to get a champ kill, there could be other things that effect the champion during this time if necessary, maybe they are weakened in some way for the duration of the interaction, perhaps losing the ability to channel or their champion damage reduction? However i don't believe those sort of detriments should be needed to facilitate pvp, they could be an option to consider.

I discussed this with him at great lengths as we both recognise that something needs to change with champions as at current they feel like a trinket that is an easy accessory to slip on.

I myself have suggested permadeath restoration but as we discussed the idea this came further into a better solution with the feedback I received.

This is a good place to start to restore some of the aspects and meaningful objectives that PvP lacks.

I would like to add in a further adjustment.

The number of points  you currently have should also reflect your current damage reduction. This is to add more weight to the power of the lights and to build on the idea that they should be contested.

Simply put if you have 50% of your points you will only have 30% DR. This will allow contesting people to being that into consideration that the enemies champion would be weakened if he is charging up.

Edited by JockII

Champions start off with one life, for every x (RL days) inside the enemies light area = + 1 life. Or increase to the above suggestion of dR and other ideas.

Simplistic equation.

Champion life's = 0 extra

24 hours of RL time in the enemies light = 1 life ( or some DR reduction ) stacks above current conditions. (( Fill in ideas here))

Forces the to be in enemy territory often to gain strength, force PvP and force map position and dynamic fight to occur more often.  Especially with the added announcement as you suggested.

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Champions start off with one life, for every x (RL days) inside the enemies light area = + 1 life. Or increase to the above suggestion of dR and other ideas.

Simplistic equation.

Champion life's = 0 extra

24 hours of RL time in the enemies light = 1 life ( or some DR reduction ) stacks above current conditions. (( Fill in ideas here))

Forces the to be in enemy territory often to gain strength, force PvP and force map position and dynamic fight to occur more often.  Especially with the added announcement as you suggested.

Forcing people to fight is one thing but providing a valuable asset to fight over would create more PvP as it gives more choices at what to prioritize.

Having the wl become the recharge alter for champions will also make it a vulnerable piont of contention and provide ample opportunity for champions to be slain when weakened.

It also offer a true strategic value, one that may even be used to prevent kingdoms from champ a battle ground for pmks to build round and attempt to push the enemy out and away from.

15 hours ago, Threap said:

-1 because champs simply dont work that way.

Your correct currently champing is to easy and to little risk. It has become an accessory that holds little value.

This new system offers to balance champs. Create value, allow them to cast once again and add value to the wl.

The other option is to let how the three champ per kingdom changes play put first before making more changes.  

;)

1 minute ago, Brew said:

The other option is to let how the three champ per kingdom changes play put first before making more changes.  

;)

Nothing has really changed in the sencce of use for the wl or the fact that champions are near meaningless trinkets for 60% Dr.

Please tell me how this dynamic has changed so much with the chance for only 1 of each god. Including the fact that that change ######s over wurm unlimited player who don't have 5 extra "god" to use.

I won't, just making a suggestion that we should see how the new champ changes play out before adding more changes right away.  Walking away from thread for awhile.

Always thought it would be cool if a champ kills someone then the white or black light would do a pulse of light that everyone can see for each kill when it happens.

Kind of like how the sky goes black while recharging and item or something like that.

Just a graphic effect, but hey....it's the little things.

Edit:  Just thought when a champ losing his last life a huge light will burst.  Champs are a big deal so why not add some drama to it.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1