Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Midsummer on Xanadu

6 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

it encourages teamwork and compassion.
if u wondered around on your own without considering to make or ask for a map, then you're going to have a hard time.
If you hadn't called it idiotic and stupid, i would have probably pm'd you what u needed. 
I did it three times before i succeeded. It's madness, but i wouldn't call it idiotic. or stupid. 
I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

Compassion? Lolwat?

I didn't wander there on my own, I did it with a friend, and no, it was not that 'hard'. Stupid yes, and annoying too.

Well, I didn't need anything from you, so leave your caring compassion for someone else lol

I completed the maze and tagged almost all statues in cave, and then I just quit - not because it is hard, but because its a stupid waste of time - instead of exploring Xanadu we were teleported in some stupid maze and wondered there for whole evening staring at walls. My friend didn't like it either. From the description of the event I thought it is some kind of cross-country exploration and orienteering mission (the need for a boat and a horse lol). Even random missions like searching for a traitor creature are hundreds of times more interesting because they involve exploration of the world, and not some stupid maze and compassion.

14 hours ago, Ulfhrafn said:

Wow, that was the most idiotic event I ever participated in any mmo I ever played. Events are in general stupid, but wandering for three hours in a cave where I can't see drek is.. wow, that's not only stupid but also quite annoying.

0iWplt7.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Ulfhrafn said:

Wow, that was the most idiotic event I ever participated in any mmo I ever played. Events are in general stupid, but wandering for three hours in a cave where I can't see drek is.. wow, that's not only stupid but also quite annoying.

You could have teleported out and quit anywhere along the maze if you didn't like it. All three parts had an exit sign, so staying in there for 3 hours is quite idiotic indeed

Edited by Alyeska

1 hour ago, Alyeska said:

You could have teleported out and quit anywhere along the maze if you didn't like it. All three parts had an exit sign, so staying in there for 3 hours is quite idiotic indeed

I did exactly that - used the sign to get out. And no, I don't think I "could have teleported out 'anywhere' along the maze".

34 minutes ago, Ulfhrafn said:

I did exactly that - used the sign to get out. And no, I don't think I "could have teleported out 'anywhere' along the maze".

insanity teleport

village teleport

village invite teleport

farwalker twig

farwalker stone

/suicide

signs in the maze - 3 hours to find them when they're right next to where you start quite frankly is ridiculous

it's all about willpower

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Alyeska said:

insanity teleport

village teleport

village invite teleport

farwalker twig

farwalker stone

it's all about willpower

lul willpower

It's all about you being narrow minded - new characters don't have all these options. You probably also don't know they also don't have much karma. I also don't use suicide as I loose items, skill, but mainly from principle - I see it as an abuse. But I have noticed that many new players (maybe alts from epic) have lost their pottery bowls, ropes and other starter items in maze, in need to instantly quit the stupid event.

1 hour ago, Ulfhrafn said:

lul willpower

It's all about you being narrow minded - new characters don't have all these options. You probably also don't know they also don't have much karma.

I didnt even think of the karma teleport option, so that just adds another one. New players get a bunch for free just for personal goals too so that's easy. How did you even end up in the cave part of the maze if you thought it was so stupid - you've had to have passed the sign in the hedge maze a few times to finish it to get to the cave... ?

20 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

How did you even end up in the cave part of the maze if you thought it was so stupid - you've had to have passed the sign in the hedge maze a few times to finish it to get to the cave... ?

I completed the hedge maze and I tagged 5 or 6 statues in cave. I don't usually jump to conclusion, so I wandered there for a few hours, completed some of it and then decided it was stupid. I had no problem exiting it via notice board which doesn't change my opinion about it. My opinion is only that - my opinion, you liked the event, and I think it's stupid - deal with it and move on, no need to make it personal.

I have to sympathize with Ulfrahn's frustration and I wanted to chip in my 5 cents just so he doesn't look like a lone troll.

Let's agree what this "event" was first. 

It was a maze that had to be solved 15 times in the correct sequence (I think it was 15. It might have been 18). Or, more accurately, it was three mazes that had to be solved five or six times each.

Mazes are not to everybody's taste, especially when the only way to solve them is either brute force random wandering (which takes hours), breaking out a pen and paper and making a map, or asking somebody else (who already brute-forced it) for assistance.

I don't mind a maze, as long as there's an extra layer of narrative, or an opportunity for ingenuity, to help you to solve them that does not rely upon brute force.

If those extra layers were there, I didn't see them.

The "Cave" component of this event came closest to this, in my view. Different areas of that maze had different floor textures, which gave a very very slight hint about roughly where you were at any given moment. The hedge-based maze also had views of nearby hills and mountains that could be used for approximate orientation.

But it seemed that the usual maze-solving tactic of dropping objects at junctions was "fixed" fairly quickly after the event was published, substantially reducing the ability to solve it and therefore the enjoyability.

The unique element of the maze appeared to be the fact that we were not just looking for the "exit", we were looking for a specific statue (or 15/18 statues, in sequence) that had been renamed with the answer to a question we had been asked.

The first problem with this format point was that knowing the answer to the question had no bearing whatsoever on the player's ability to find the statue, unless they had already found it and had a map to where it was. 

The answers were easily knowable (or wikiable) and once the answer was known that knowledge did not help in the effort of solving the maze in any way whatsoever.

As I previously mentioned in this thread, the fact that the questions all related to game mechanics known to the player (but not the player character) showed a huge lack of imagination. 

Would it be too much to ask for an engaging story? Or at least a stable fourth wall? This was an official "event" after all, wasn't it?

As it turned out, the way I solved it was:

• House -- just stick to the right-hand wall and click every statue. Takes about 25 minutes to solve. Thanks to the earlier poster in this thread who discovered and shared that fact.
  • Hedge -- Followed a wolf who looked like she had a map.
  • Cave -- Wandered around aimlessly in the near-dark for three hours then begged for a map on in-game chat until I got one.

I didn't care about how cool or useful the reward. I just wanted an enjoyable experience. I didn't get one.

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎13 at 6:17 PM, Ajala said:

I have to sympathize with Ulfrahn's frustration and I wanted to chip in my 5 cents just so he doesn't look like a lone troll.

Let's agree what this "event" was first. 

It was a maze that had to be solved 15 times in the correct sequence (I think it was 15. It might have been 18). Or, more accurately, it was three mazes that had to be solved five or six times each.

Mazes are not to everybody's taste, especially when the only way to solve them is either brute force random wandering (which takes hours), breaking out a pen and paper and making a map, or asking somebody else (who already brute-forced it) for assistance.

I don't mind a maze, as long as there's an extra layer of narrative, or an opportunity for ingenuity, to help you to solve them that does not rely upon brute force.

If those extra layers were there, I didn't see them.

The "Cave" component of this event came closest to this, in my view. Different areas of that maze had different floor textures, which gave a very very slight hint about roughly where you were at any given moment. The hedge-based maze also had views of nearby hills and mountains that could be used for approximate orientation.

But it seemed that the usual maze-solving tactic of dropping objects at junctions was "fixed" fairly quickly after the event was published, substantially reducing the ability to solve it and therefore the enjoyability.

The unique element of the maze appeared to be the fact that we were not just looking for the "exit", we were looking for a specific statue (or 15/18 statues, in sequence) that had been renamed with the answer to a question we had been asked.

The first problem with this format point was that knowing the answer to the question had no bearing whatsoever on the player's ability to find the statue, unless they had already found it and had a map to where it was. 

The answers were easily knowable (or wikiable) and once the answer was known that knowledge did not help in the effort of solving the maze in any way whatsoever.

As I previously mentioned in this thread, the fact that the questions all related to game mechanics known to the player (but not the player character) showed a huge lack of imagination. 

Would it be too much to ask for an engaging story? Or at least a stable fourth wall? This was an official "event" after all, wasn't it?

As it turned out, the way I solved it was:

• House -- just stick to the right-hand wall and click every statue. Takes about 25 minutes to solve. Thanks to the earlier poster in this thread who discovered and shared that fact.
  • Hedge -- Followed a wolf who looked like she had a map.
  • Cave -- Wandered around aimlessly in the near-dark for three hours then begged for a map on in-game chat until I got one.

I didn't care about how cool or useful the reward. I just wanted an enjoyable experience. I didn't get one.

took me les than 2 hours.. but I am a programmer by trade and rememeber things like right left and close to wood wall or close to mountain or on 1st floor or on 5th floor so it is pretty easy stuff.. but hey I like getting lost only to have myself found again later.. and I met some great people in the mazes, you should've gone with friends or at least made a few made the whole event was the crème de la crème.. and theres only so much you can do for events that are self serve there aren't a lot of mechanics that cater to the go here and pickup this then drop it off at this spot, with all pointy arrows and maps to show you the way, so anyone devoid of an intellect can solve it easily.. but that's triple a games for ya, they hold you by the hand and ruin the sense of awe and adventure. sorry man we're on lower b street and that's the way we all like it.. keep on Wurmin.. and thanks Retro good event ... wish you timed it I felt I kicked butt on a speed run between work and school.. ehehhe later all..

Edited by psisimian

On 7/21/2017 at 3:00 PM, psisimian said:

took me les than 2 hours.. but I am a programmer by trade and rememeber things like right left and close to wood wall or close to mountain or on 1st floor or on 5th floor so it is pretty easy stuff.. but hey I like getting lost only to have myself found again later.. and I met some great people in the mazes, you should've gone with friends or at least made a few made the whole event was the crème de la crème.. and theres only so much you can do for events that are self serve there aren't a lot of mechanics that cater to the go here and pickup this then drop it off at this spot, with all pointy arrows and maps to show you the way, so anyone devoid of an intellect can solve it easily.. but that's triple a games for ya, they hold you by the hand and ruin the sense of awe and adventure. sorry man we're on lower b street and that's the way we all like it.. keep on Wurmin.. and thanks Retro good event ... wish you timed it I felt I kicked butt on a speed run between work and school.. ehehhe later all..

There are ways to utilize the existing game mechanics -- indeed, the very mechanics utilized in this event -- to create an engaging experience. No hand-holding required.

[11:47:49] The midsummer event is now closed, thank you all for attending!

A big thank you to Retro for organizing this event.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 11:51 AM, Wulfmaer said:

A big thank you to Retro for organizing this event.

I echo this. Despite my criticisms, a lot of work obviously went into this, which is appreciated.