Sign in to follow this  
HexD

Ambient Lighting

Bring back the good ole days when night time was dark, almost pitch black. Right now at night time you don't need a light source to navigate which in a survival game is very Disney. So I suggest lowering the brightness of the ambient lighting during night time.

• Like 7

+1

Best Suggestion ever !        I would like it very much!!!!!

You are the best!!!, Luv you Allie

• Like 1

+1, make it happen

I'm your secret admirer... well, it has been secret

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeardedMan said:

Bring back the good ole days when night time was dark, almost pitch black. Right now at night time you don't need a light source to navigate which in a survival game is very Disney. So I suggest lowering the brightness of the ambient lighting during night time.

-1  Older monitors already view it in pitch black, doesn't need to get any darker. 
Lower the brightness on your monitor. :P

EDIT: In all seriousness, if it got any darker I wouldn't be able to see anything at night even with a damn lantern on the bad monitor. 
And while I do have a slightly better one as well, I'm sure there are people who don't. 

Edited by Matholameu
  • Like 2

+1 you are right IMO. Night is way too bright. Which takes away all of the fear and risk from being in the wild at night. An immersion downer.

Depends on your monitor/monitor settings, on my normal monitor i can see just fine at night but if if i plug in something ancient like a 2007wfp i have as a backup i need to turn up brightness so much it'll blind me to see anything without a 90ql lantern.

• Like 1

Those 'few' people stuck in the past should have to tweak and play with their settings, not those of us who use modern hardware. Get with the times or get left behind.

4 minutes ago, BeardedMan said:

Those 'few' people stuck in the past should have to tweak and play with their settings, not those of us who use modern hardware. Get with the times or get left behind.

Yes, let's punish those people who can't afford to upgrade their hardware every few years. Wicked idea. 

But, I do see how we're both suggesting the same thing. "It doesn't affect me so who cares." 

-1.  Most emphatically.  Very few things annoy me more in any game, as far as graphics are concerned, than excessive darkness and lack of visibility. I find absolutely nothing pleasant about it, in fact I find it very unpleasant.  I generally do not play games that insist I should blindly grope my way through the game at night in the name of realism, or I limit my time in the game to times when I can bloody see.  I'm sorry but there are times when too much realism in a computer game defeats the entire purpose of playing a computer game in the first place.

And not to be overly adversarial, but to say that those who have older comps are "stuck in the past" and should "get with the times" and/or tweak their settings because you want it darker, that's a bit of a stretch don't you think?  How 'bout this, those who are yearning for the so-called "good old days," could always "get with the times" (since at the current time night is not pitch black), and tweak their own settings & monitors to achieve the darkness they want, since their computers are so uber and can probably achieve the results they want far easier than those who have the older computers.

• Like 5

16-235 and 0-255 might play a part in the variation also, some of us play on HD / UHD TV's
then there's the diff between the stable and unstable clients.
To be honest,  squinting and the oscillation of focus that follows, i find physically painful, makes eyes hurt, slowly gives headache.. so i have to turn up the gamma anyway, or set my black level to higher in the tv's settings. 
yes my output is set to 16-235

-1 in general - but caves in the unstable would need a downslide on brightness. Even without any lighting the mines are shiny from the inside too much. Textures are burnt out with it.

• Like 2

That's an idea, add an ambient lighting slider so we can control it ourselves, those that want darker can have it and those that don't can be happy.

• Like 2

Indeed that would be great. Anyway I need to adjust already my gamma when playing daytime and it washes out the contrast badly.

-1 please no. Let's get rid of night altogether, darkness sucks. 

I don't know what kind of setup you have but I can see crap at night and I don't use a light.  If it wasn't for my horse I'd be going over mountain cliffs at night.

Obrq7sO.jpg

These lamps made no difference. all 20 ql, and just as good as the farm on the left. Ambient light option would be nice, I want the wurld dark and have wurm players light the way!

Edited by Yiraia

-1  I thought that it would be a suggestion about a comprehensive rework of lighting, like, diferent intensity and tone during different seasons and things like that.  I find the suggestion for "darker nights" under the pretense of ambient lighting undewhelming.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-23 at 0:44 PM, Rathgar said:

-1  I thought that it would be a suggestion about a comprehensive rework of lighting, like, diferent intensity and tone during different seasons and things like that.  I find the suggestion for "darker nights" under the pretense of ambient lighting undewhelming.

Don't make assumptions and you wont feel so underwhelmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shading#Ambient_lighting

Edited by BeardedMan

Even that basic video is far more complex than your request.  Should rename the thread to "Moar black nght plox!".

Also, if you think the visibility is too high at night, try squinting, that should help.

YEARS ago I was able to config Wurm to look very dark at night but I don't remember how I did it. I thought it was a file in client.jar but I can't find it and they all seem to be .class files (specifically in client.jar/com/wurmonline/client/renderer/light) but I can't find any text-editable settings for lighting.

Huge +1 !!!

At least add this as an option in client config - this is after all client-side rendering issue.