Sign in to follow this  
Matholameu

Add slope limit to NPC movement.

I'm sure this has been suggested before but I'm not digging through the forums to find it. 

There should be a slope limit added to NPC movement. If I'm on a cliff and hundreds of slope beneath me there's a mob, it should not be able to walk up the side of the cliff like a damn magician. Also, nothing like accidentally unhitching your horse for a moment then having it climb a cliff and get out of reach. 

I just don't understand why this wasn't added sooner, seems like common sense to me. Cows are not mountain goats!

Would also help prevent mobs from working their way into areas no one can reach.(without stam-sandwiches or whatever) 

• Like 8

+1

I shouldnt be the same as players, but a limit would be nice. Seeing my horse climb a 300 slope dirtwall always makes me cringe.

+1 as long as it's mob dependant.  Spiders having no height limitations, trolls the same as us, wolves a maybe 50~, something like that anyway.

• Like 2

+1 as long as it doesn't bork "lead" pathing.  I really wouldn't like a horse to take a shortcut and end up on a cliff and then decide it doesn't want to go any further...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1 as long as it doesn't bork "lead" pathing.  I really wouldn't like a horse to take a shortcut and end up on a cliff and then decide it doesn't want to go any further...

Didn't think of that. Good point. 

As long as they find a way to avoid people exploiting bows to kill mobs that can't get to their location, I'm in. +1 

Maybe disabling the whole attack option for mobs that cannot get to your location etc. 

I'd mainly like to see this to stop watching cows and other animals just chilling on the side of mountains lol.

Edited by Legios
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Legios said:

Maybe disabling the whole attack option for mobs that cannot get to your location etc.

This is how you ruin the sandbox. If a creature is trapped somewhere, it becomes a living target, there's nothing wrong with it.

+1 to OP and

7 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

as long as it's mob dependant.  Spiders having no height limitations, trolls the same as us, wolves a maybe 50~, something like that anyway.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

+1 the greatest benefit i see would be to prevent grouping animals on unacesible ground :)

3 hours ago, zigozag said:

This is how you ruin the sandbox. If a creature is trapped somewhere, it becomes a living target, there's nothing wrong with it.

I see this as a quality of life upgrade, Wurm has had too many of those, for some reason many players just want to find easier ways to play the game, when the game, in fact, offers no challenge as it is already.

But if you give people the ability to simply lock monsters or themselves for that matter and just shoot them from outside, that IS what everybody is going to do. This will truly destroy the "Adventure" of the hunt. (I'm not talking about Uniques)

I do remember doing a lot of "Safe spotting" in Runescape though, and honestly, besides only making it easier to kill stuff, there was no true benefit to the game, only to oneself.

Measures need to be implemented or abuse will become a normal thing.

I like the idea of the OP, because it would control the animal migration onto mountains and other unreachable areas, it would also add more realism to animals in general. Although the ability to purposely find a way to trap a monster in order to kill it with minimal effort just sounds like it would be damaging to the game.

Edited by Legios

-.5 We can climb. I dont know what % our speed is dropped when doing so but if the server can detect the tile a creature is on and make it behave a certain way, why not just have it get a debuff that lowers it's speed by the same %. As for this comment

2 hours ago, Legios said:

I like the idea of the OP, because it would control the animal migration onto mountains and other unreachable areas.

Isn't it possible to make it so mobs can only move up a steep hill (with decreased speed) if in combat mode, and not go up a steep hill if not in combat mode.

+1 though I suspect this may not be implemented due to the problem of mobs pooling in valleys. With no way to get out, a large chunk of the server NPC allocation could be concentrated in a few steep-sloped valleys

Sorry... it sounds like it should be a good idea...

The game already has enough problems with mobs pooling in corners near water.

I hear you guys, but we already have a problem with mobs pooling on mountains and other virtually inaccessible high up places.
Add that to what I view as an unrealistic advantage that mobs can scale dirt walls for pete's sake.(<Look at me learning how to curb the cursing.)

I don't feel mobs pooled in easily accessible valleys or along the seashore is worse then being up mountains. 

Open to debate that though. :) 

On 6/19/2017 at 11:36 PM, Matholameu said:

I'm sure this has been suggested before but I'm not digging through the forums to find it. 

Google is easier, no digging required.
that said, I don't believe it's been suggested before. 
+1

Bumpity, and I will be bumpitying until

A: NPC slope movement is added.
B: The dev team tells me to STFU. :P

Fresh bumpity. Still think this is a good idea. 

Gonna keep bumping till a dev tells me this is never gonna happen.