Sign in to follow this  
Mosquete

We should be able to make a living out of any profession.

The game should provide us ways to live out of any skill.
Who wants to be a Fisherman for a living? Well I'd want, if only I could sell fishes or retrieve valuable stuff from a fish.
My point is, there are tons of skills but while some are highly profitable and/or have high demand, there are some with almost zero demand. We should be able to choose a skill, any skill, grind it up and really make a living out of it, otherwise there's little to no reason to have such a vast skill list.

Edited by Mosquete
  • Like 5

While I definitely like this idea. I can already hear the Dev team saying, "You mentioned an issue without offering a solution."

Any ideas for how to make other skills more profitable? @Mosquete

Edited by Matholameu
hear not here...
  • Like 1

- We should be able to make a living out of any profession.

- No.

• Like 3

+1, I personally just want to see hunting and exploring more profitable... maybe hidden treasures etc maybe killing humanoid mobs that have a chance to drop treasure maps that you need to go out and hunt for. 

I don't consider standing in one spot mining/crafting or whatever else you can do from the safety of your home "Playing the game" but that is what a lot of people do in wurm, they have grown stagnant just like the game, the only issue now... those same people are very adamant about change when it comes to their precious Real Currency markets.

• Like 2

Hunting combined with butchering is very profitabile curently imo, plus you have chance for rare coins on just hunting. But i agree there are skills that need much love compared to others...

• Like 1

No, if everything is the same, there's no market, no need to specialize, it sounds like you'd prefer no skill ticks or gains afterward too?

Why?

This is almost one step away from asking for free gold coin handouts for everyone and saying the market will be ok.

-1 The game is not required to provide a means to play for free.

• Like 4

communism will destroy wurm like everything else. you are free to sell your fish and i m sure you will get some coins, but i dont like the idea of making every skill worth the same.

Edited by Simju

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

No, if everything is the same, there's no market, no need to specialize, it sounds like you'd prefer no skill ticks or gains afterward too?

Why?

This is almost one step away from asking for free gold coin handouts for everyone and saying the market will be ok.

You'll still need to grind up your skills of choice in order to make money out of 'em. My point is exactly being able to specialize in any skill you want and still be able to make a living out of it. You'll have to grind and work just the same.

Also, the market won't feel a thing, in fact it would grow. Why? 'Cause if you can make money out of any skill, people won't focus so much on the most common professions we see at the market today, such as bulks, weaponsmithing, shipbuilding...and they'll still need those.

For an instance: Let's say you're a fisherman. Your fishing is now 90+, and in order to find and catch the most profitable fish, you'll need some nice, high ql, enchanted rods you're unable to make, so you'll buy these. Likewise, maybe you want plenty of space to store your catches, equipment, food, water...but you're no shipbuilder, so you'll buy a ship. In fact, you'll buy everything, 'cause you only know how to fish at the moment.
While this example is quite extreme, it clearly shows why being able to specialized on random stuff gets the economy going.

Let's talk about the fisherman further.
What changes do we need in Fishing in order to make it profitable?
Simple, we need a system where fish are useful in a unique way, and the higher your skill and the fancier your equipment, the higher your profits. Yes, as of now, higher ql fish are more valuable than low ql, but who the hell buys fish anyway?

Now, people would buy from the fisherman if some fishes, in addition to the meat and fat, yielded glands used in strong potions such and waterbreathing, pufferfish poison could be used on arrows, clams yielded pearls, uncommon fish meat were used in rare recipes...you have to make all the professions useful, you have to give people a reason to want what the fisherman catches!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pingpong said:

-1 The game is not required to provide a means to play for free.

Ehh?
What are you talking about? I'm talking about work. Everyone can easily make 5k bricks, sell them and "play for free". My point is, there's a huge skill list, but only a small, limited number of them are profitable or even marketable. I don't want to make it easier to make money, I just want new ways to make money, and I want to be able to properly enjoy the game by choosing the skill I want, not the skill the market wants, and still be able to make a living out of it.

• Like 1

I simply mean wurm online is a pay to play game. You pay to play the game. It's not required to have skills that allow you subsidize your premium, nor a market place where you can buy/sell to cover your own costs. That it does so is a bonus. At the end of the day we as players are paying for entertainment value :)

• Like 7

Why should ever action in the game provide a financial reward? If there is a demand for your skill then you will be paid for it.

Would you like to be told that "Now in order to sleep in a bed you will need to hire an interior designer to adjust your room according to feng shui or you will not receive sleep bonus?"

Content should be added as needed to improve the game, not to assist those with fringe interest in padding their wallets.

A better arguement might be "If there is no demand or use for this skill then why have the skill st all?"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

I simply mean wurm online is a pay to play game. You pay to play the game. It's not required to have skills that allow you subsidize your premium, nor a market place where you can buy/sell to cover your own costs. That it does so is a bonus. At the end of the day we as players are paying for entertainment value :)

It's not about making money to pay for premmy, it's about being able to be, let's say, a fisherman, and still be able to sell your stuff and get the coin to buy what other people sell.
No one has all the skills, eventually you'll buy something from another player, and that's the very principle of a healthy economy: you specialize on making specific stuff, sell your stuff and buy the stuff you're unable to make. I'm talking about ingame economy, you're missing the point. With more marketable skills, you have a more diverse market, less people working on the same old main trades, and therefore those main trades such as weaponsmithing will unflood and their prices will go up. It gets the economy going.

Edited by Mosquete

7 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Why should ever action in the game provide a financial reward? If there is a demand for your skill then you will be paid for it.

Would you like to be told that "Now in order to sleep in a bed you will need to hire an interior designer to adjust your room according to feng shui or you will not receive sleep bonus?"

Content should be added as needed to improve the game, not to assist those with fringe interest in padding their wallets.

A better arguement might be "If there is no demand or use for this skill then why have the skill st all?"

In case you haven't noticed, the economy is flooded and shitty 'cause there are only a handful of marketable skills. More diversity = healthier economy.

Not all skills are created equal, you just have to accept that.  For instance, you mention fishing.  Exactly how would you make the skill more profitable?  The only thing I can think of is occasionally finding a coin in the fish when you butcher it.  As easy as fishing has always been, you aren't going to get a market to sell them when we can go fish for them ourselves.  Do you want to see the skill reset and then it be as hard as weapon smithing to gain skills again?  That's about the only way you are going to get a market to sell them, and you will cause the game to lose players who already got that skill up very high.  Even for those of us who have high skills in other trades have to be good at several skills to make enough coin to live a comfortable life, so we can rotate to the currently desired items for sale.  Keep playing, be flexible, and you can find this is still fun.

+1 I'd love to see other skills have a higher marketable use. E.g. 50 stonecutting and you can make a marble table, how about 50 fishing and you can find a rare fish that will add 1 hour to affinity timers, something similar with baking perhaps? The problem I see on a regular basis is that people feel forced to play these set professions which ruins their game experience. Whether we like it or not a vast majority of people like to sell things from their chosen professions which is unavoidable in a RMT game. 

I agree that this would encourage growth in our economy and should be something worked towards. 

• Like 3

I too should be getting silvers from any task I do!

+1 

I really want to spin my badass yoyo in public for money.

• Like 1

+1

i wanna earn money for just standing around like a street artist in a big city. i AM pretty handsome after all.

• Like 1

Coming up with a way to make money is half the fun of Wurm (if you want to make money). Some skills or items are going to be more in demand, often because they're harder or boring. Some people just think out of the box and make skill pizzas or whatever. 

It would be nice if fish had some different benefits or butchering products, though. Fish bones that can be made into tools or some use in dye, maybe. 

• Like 2

Well i always think  rl job is fun skill   and offline charter must make money...   so buy merchants place em at popular market  stock em well and enjoy more real life.

Making a living would be a lot from one skill, and would require people to either spend large amounts of time or spend a lot of money to enjoy most aspects of wurm. However i agree with the fact that every skill should have a use. Wurm's only "Rare" is rarity and it seems all good and dandy but it actually HEAVILY screws some skills. What can you do with a rare fish? rare thatch? rare dye (if possible, I think it is). What if certain items REQUIRED rares. Making Extremely fancy looking roofs (rooves? I can't english) out of rare thatch. butchering rare fish for a special bone that can be placed on a necklace for cool jewelry. Rare dye painted on items to give a slight glow (Saves space for another rune) and gives the prefix Shiny. I can see rich people wanting a "Shiny rare Large Cart" with a rune for speed. Additions to the rarity system can definitely change some of the lame classes.

• Like 3

-1  Nope.  Fishing, as an example, most people essentially do afk.  Part of the charm of Wurm is you can play entirely solo, mastering all of the skills eventually (apart from the priest trade-off).  Changing that so a few skills become "marketable" with caps on others would make this exactly like every other mmo out there, and and army of alts would resolve the problem of needing something you can't do yourself.  No thank you.  I like becoming a jack of all trades and eventual master of them as well.

• Like 1

Making a living without any profession is difficult in real life as well as here. 

Also you don't have much influence on demand, so even if we'd consider that all skills would be valuable and important, naturally some of them would have more market demand than others.