Sign in to follow this  
Mosquete

Ways to make money as a hunter?

I'm teaching a friend of mine the game's very basics and he came up with the following question: Can I make a living out of hunting? Is it worth it?

Well, you can get a coin now and then from inspiration rolls and you get a lot of furs and hides so I guess you can also do some leatherworking, cooking...?
Being a hunter also demands having a set of armour and being able to repair it...so I guess hunters would also need to be platesmith and miner...?
He could also tame stuff, maybe...?

Anyway, I wish I knew the answer so please leave your thoughts.

Edited by Mosquete

I think there are more expences than income from hunting. But your friend still could do it just for fun and skill raising, while making money with some other things (smithing, bulk making, etc).

Not quite true. Many people make money hunting. 2 main things help you make money here: 

1) Bulk animal products sale: You can bulk sell things like Meats, paws, pelts, furs, horns, bladders, etc. Many people buy this in bulk to level skills like natural substances and cooking (panfillers would love you for cheap meats). You also get the occasional moment of inspiration which will def. more than cover the costs of gear repair. Stuff doesnt move as much, but it moves. Like anything else, quality here matters.

2) Unique hunting: Find Uniques and track them down. Trap them and get a team to kill them. This is where the big bucks are. Hunting down uniques can be fun, and its a worthwhile group experience.

Another perk to this profession is finding long disbanded abandoned deeds and looting. Its like exploring ruins and can be quite fun in places like Xanadu. 

Other things can be finding champion animals and selling them. Some people will.pay for those as well. 

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Not quite true. Many people make money hunting. 2 main things help you make money here: 

1) Bulk animal products sale: You can bulk sell things like Meats, paws, pelts, furs, horns, bladders, etc. Many people buy this in bulk to level skills like natural substances and cooking (panfillers would love you for cheap meats). You also get the occasional moment of inspiration which will def. more than cover the costs of gear repair. Stuff doesnt move as much, but it moves. Like anything else, quality here matters.

2) Unique hunting: Find Uniques and track them down. Trap them and get a team to kill them. This is where the big bucks are. Hunting down uniques can be fun, and its a worthwhile group experience.

Another perk to this profession is finding long disbanded abandoned deeds and looting. Its like exploring ruins and can be quite fun in places like Xanadu. 

Other things can be finding champion animals and selling them. Some people will.pay for those as well. 

To build on that, if he used an alt to do the hunting he'd be skilling up its fight stats. Could sell it eventually and make funds that way. 

Save yourself time and just start crafting, or making bulk building mats, hunting is very unrewarding, and finding a unique is VERY rare. I've played a solid 60 days worth in the span for a couple months and I have yet to run into anything special myself, but it is all based on luck... and beeing at the right spot at the right time hehe.

I can also say unless you're constantly trying to sell meats/guts you will most likely not make enough silver from that alone to repair your gear, especially since you will need to have decent enough butchering, to begin with, so that hinders anything you find kinda useless at least until you get like 20+ butchering, I'm currently 36 butchering and I get anywhere from QL 100 meat to QL 5.. It's very random, the same thing with the guts.

If you're on a limited income and do not plan to buy in-game money, then you will probably have to do bulk or craft and hope for rares in order to get started.

I've made about 3s from pure silver drops... cows seem to drop silver the most for me...

When I first started the game, I too was convinced you could make a living hunting and exploring.. sadly I've faced that harsh reality lol, just go into the merchant thread and see what people are selling, that will give you a nice idea of the stuff that people are actually buying, I'll give you a hint though, It's mainly crafted stuff.

Edited by Legios

Angelklaine really covered what needed saying; hunting is generally not something that you can support yourself on if you want to make money ingame.

Hunting doesnt usually sell that much. So many people do it 90+ ql pelts are being thrown around like they are nothing. But if you are interested in mainly doing Hunting for money, I would recommend doubling up as priest (possibly one with combat passives, or one with reveal creatures). Its super cheap to get a functional fighting set *cough* see Pumpernickel's shop for armor *cough*. I am currently trying to make a hunting priest as Nathan. He has the animal ignore thing, 25% damage boost, coc spells for extra cash ;), and allowed to cut trees/mine stone. Cutting trees and mining stone will allow you to grind up and collect the materials at rifts (Haven't actually tested that, but im sure i will be able to collect ALL rift materials as Nathan priest) giving you another market. Few other good spells are in Nathan as well, and if you are interested i can convert.

• Like 2

What yiraia said, im doing the same thing basically right now.

Important thing tho is that nathan does not have reveal creatures.

Edited by Kurson
  • Like 2

The point of hunting in WO for me is it is an effect of exploration. Exploring Wurm is an extremely fun and satisfying activity - especially as you go down roads and waterways you've never been down before.  

But Angel had the best answer I think. So much money in uniques, and sometimes really fun rewards for looting abandoned deeds in the middle of nowhere.

I did point out selling bulk butchering goods is not as easy, but there is a market if you are persistent enough. You can also use.it to panfill yourself and make money that way.

Hunting is fun and has a lot of people who do it, and end up with a lot of butchering goods as a by product of it. It is not a profession that has a lot of demand, so to speak, so you need to get creative to make a profit. Im sure if someone sold 2k meats for 1 silver they will move for example. But if profit is what you want, then this is not the career for you. You are better off doing something else.

Make coins from hunting is easy.

1) kill everything you can, including chickens/dogs you get the idea?

2) bury every corpse out there

random rolls will pay coins for killing and burying

• Like 2

There is some market in butchered stuff - high ql hides and the occasional 100ql pelt, plus the NS grinders will generally buy bulk glands/teeth/paws.  I've sold multiple k's of glands to the Release NS grinder, and apparently low ql is better anyway, she just cares about quantity.  If you're moving around a lot anyway and feel like a change of pace, an hour or 2 of foraging and botanizing gives chances at silver plus the odd usefully saleable thing (cocoa beans or high ql woad, for example).

Ultimately, if you're trying to make a living, as in wanting to have full access without paying anything, and you don't already have a very high-skilled char, unique hunting is your best bet.  But be warned, a lot of servers already have resident kill groups, who often have the support of their general server population, so you may face significant ill will by cutting them out.  Dragons always bring drama.

My arrows aren't cheap but they sure are sturdy enough for any game so if your friend wants to be a hunter tell him what I saw the other day in trade chat - 200 pieces of hide for 1s.

And everybody loves butchering produce.

Edited by Erevorn

Hides is a good product to sell. Separate it in quality (0-50, 51-70, 71-90+ or in multiples of 10 over 50) and you will always find buyers. Leatherworking always needs hides.