Sign in to follow this  
Erevorn

Rolled sails when a ship is moored

When a ship is moored and in harbour it shouldn't have full sail. Hence my suggestion - make mooring a ship roll its sails.

• Like 2

Any update to ships, in general, would be welcomed in my book :3 +1

I think ships need to all be reworked and some of the now pretty much obsolete need to be re-furnished to make them desirable again. I've been using a Knarr since I started but I've never felt a need to own anything else since it's practically the best boat in the game.

Edited by Legios

45 minutes ago, Legios said:

I think ships need to all be reworked and some of the now pretty much obsolete need to be re-furnished to make them desirable again. I've been using a Knarr since I started but I've never felt a need to own anything else since it's practically the best boat in the game.

This. Ships need balancing as nobody wants to use anything else than a knarr.

+1. One possible way to re-balance ships: massively increase cargo capacity for the non-knarr ships but require them to have more than a one-person crew or suffer massive penalties to maneuvering and perhaps speed.

32 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

+1. One possible way to re-balance ships: massively increase cargo capacity for the non-knarr ships but require them to have more than a one-person crew or suffer massive penalties to maneuvering and perhaps speed.

We have alts, it won't be a problem really and in return it will make knarrs obsolete.

Getting back to the original suggestion. We should be able to raise sails whether moored or not. 
Pretty sure it's been suggested before. Would make docking WAY easier.

Aaand this game is all about the immersion factor. It's little touches like raising the sails that add to the level of immersion. 

• Like 1

+1 to furled sails.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Knarrs shouldn't have any cargo capacity at all, that's just boat with many benches. Ofc between benches we could fit some backpacks, maybe chests, but not 43 large crates / 100 rafts!!!!! Absurd.

Eventually some cargo but for a cost of passenger seats.

Obviously it would make bigger boats matters, like it should be.

6 hours ago, Erevorn said:

We have alts, it won't be a problem really and in return it will make knarrs obsolete.

At the risk of taking this thread even further off track...

Knarrs wouldn't be obsolete, as they'd still have two major advantages. One, shallow draught: they can go anywhere a sailboat can, which is a major plus in a lot of areas that haven't been deeply dredged. Two, alts or no, it's still better to be able to sail single-handed as it frees up your alts to do other things. To prevent non-prem alts being used as a permanent crew, there could be a mind logic check for crew as well. This would mean a reasonable tradeoff between independence and cargo capacity, and it would also encourage players to sail together on a single boat, which personally I'd like to see more of.

A minor point: One does not roll sails. Sails are furled and unfurled.

Still, it's a good idea. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drvst said:

Let the good times unfurl... I dunno man, sailors are weird.

+1 to OP as an option like raise anchor... furl sails.  Rock and Furl, ppl.... yeah... just weird.

19 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Let the good times unfurl... I dunno man, sailors are weird.

+1 to OP as an option like raise anchor... furl sails.  Rock and Furl, ppl.... yeah... just weird.

ROFL :D

11 hours ago, drvst said:

You know what I mean, let's furl on the right track ok?

Corbitas are great as crates containers now :D as for the suggestion i would more like option to lower sails to help with docking as sugested many times before. +1 for ship rework

• Like 1

+1.  I want more than just the visual after mooring though. I want to be able to furl sails to reduce wind influence and use manual labor (rowing) to maneuver for docking.  The biggest reason I never use my larger ships is that I'm not overly fond of head on collisions with land every time I decide not to moor out in the water and swim in.  They're too uncontrollable for my blood.  :)    (they do make nice harbor decorations though, lol)

I'm still waiting for devs to push Wurm into the Industrial Era and start making coal powered steam engines for ships, maybe primitive trains and tracks too for easy transport. Imagine players laying down 1000s of tiles of tracks across freedom, maybe epic too and ride a train between massive forests . Would be pretty sweet. Ah daydreaming. Still would love to see it. 

+1 to furling sails

Would be wonderful to see more of the other boats become useful as well.  Sadly, the failings of some of the other boats don't lie only in the hands of the devs.

Hey tunnel builders:  DREDGE!  Make those entrances/exits deeper so something other than a knarr is useful.

• Like 1

We are now voicing our support for this idea over in this topic.

Edited by HughMongus
grammer correction

Another reason to manage sails is for showing off our kingdom banner on your sails too.  I think these 2 work well with each other.

• Like 1