Sign in to follow this  
Reylaark

Remove mining safeties

Now that we have underground bridges, I suggest we remove some of the safeties currently in place when mining.

For example:

[08:46:37] The cave walls sound hollow. A dangerous side shaft could emerge.

I'm aware of the danger.  Glad to get the warning, but would like to bust through nonetheless knowing I have various options to address the outcome.

I suggest we keep the warnings in place, but ultimately allow players to carry on if they so wish.

• Like 18

I'm not sure if that specific case is easy to resolve - the message is shown when you would create a tunnel tile which has a single common corner with an existing mined out tile. I have a feeling that it is disallowed for some coding reasons just like where you cannot have a common corner for two structures. Same goes for the max 255 slopes height in caves based on the number it is very likely being stored on 8bit in the database...

I hope I'm not right though and this limitation can be lifted ...

• Like 3

1358019235-0.jpg+1

For more of this..., it's not like there aren't ways to collapse a tile if you find something that you do not like on the other side of that tile:ph34r:

+1

With concrete, mining floors and ceilings, ability to collapse.... thre's nothing stopping us from fixing buggy cave tiles these days.   Give the people freedom!

• Like 2

+1

And Jaz, I hear what you're saying, but it's a little frustrating hearing (whiney voice)"It's haaaaard" for so many things. 
So what? Think about how far along humans would be if every time something was "haaaaard" we just said #### it. We'd probably be extinct. 
Most great things in life are hard to accomplish, doesn't mean they shouldn't happen. 

(Not shitting on you Dev team. Just giving an opinion. Very happy with all the exceptional updates that have come out recently.)

EDIT: And as a player, everything we do in Wurm is haaaard or atleast exceptionally time consuming. I just feel we're the wrong type of playerbase to tell "it's too hard" or "it'll take too long."

Edited by Matholameu

Remove all the safeties!!!

Let's get wild and crazy!

• Like 1

Don't think its a safety, its just not possible for the rock to be mined when certain tiles behind are open

+1

Would possibly fix a lot of mines that at present can only be fixed by filling in open tiles with a priest spell, and since many don't want to take the time, effort, or money to do that, leave them as a mess instead, so ultimately this could really help out with those situations as well as for those of us that are planning on moving underground now with all the recent changes :)

• Like 1

+1, correct me if im wrong, but you can't take fall damage when underground anyway right? The only dangers of a drop shaft is getting stuck with a harder mob

Mining still needs a lot of work I think , but don't want to rehash them and have them just say no or totally ignored .

Or come up with some excuse that why and its easy to work around said problems....

But I agree some warnings need be changed or given on first hit so know that theres a problem before wasting time to get to near the end and told to bad move on..

On 18/06/2017 at 1:12 AM, Finnn said:

1358019235-0.jpg+1

For more of this..., it's not like there aren't ways to collapse a tile if you find something that you do not like on the other side of that tile:ph34r:

Ooo I spy z guage, neat.

On 6/17/2017 at 10:44 AM, Jaz said:

I'm not sure if that specific case is easy to resolve - the message is shown when you would create a tunnel tile which has a single common corner with an existing mined out tile. I have a feeling that it is disallowed for some coding reasons just like where you cannot have a common corner for two structures. Same goes for the max 255 slopes height in caves based on the number it is very likely being stored on 8bit in the database...

I hope I'm not right though and this limitation can be lifted ...

This.

The "side shaft" message has nothing to do with the danger of creating a dropshaft, it has to do with mining out a tile that would share a single corner with another. Why this is disallowed, I'm not sure. Possibly technical reasons?

I can't honestly think of anything else the game prevents you from doing in a mine, except stuff that makes no sense, like mining a ceiling past the rock layer.

The side shaft should not be a coding issue - as you can easily create that setup with collapsing a tile (where you end up with two blind tunnel parts where they only share a common corner).

• Like 1