Sign in to follow this  
agentusp

Wurm Online thoughts about where it's headed

13 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

If it was just skills there'd probably be a lot less resistance, the amount of dragons still to be killed on epic (read $$$$$) and tomes and moonmetals that we on freedom isles have 0-1% access to means that it's not refugees coming over but executives with swiss bank accounts (and high skills). Oh and they're happy to sell us of freedom the moonmetals, tomes and dragon hide at your local street corner. What can I sell them to balance out this influx of top end goods? A 5 speed horse? Right then... I don't begrudge folks the advantages of playing on epic. But I don't expect them to carry the advantages of epic I've just listed onto freedom either.

I'm still seeing the fixation with high skills.

Perhaps it's me, perhaps I've been under-developing my Epic character, but Jahpeople is not that much higher skilled than Zenity, and in fact lacks some skills Zenity has used more on Freedom, yet both have similar playtime.

Seems to me the only advantage I have on Epic is the effective skill curve, which wouldn't affect my character if it were on a freedom server. The only skills that are better than Zenity's is my characteristics skills, which I have consciously ground up a bit, had I done the same on Freedom Zenity would probably have similar characteristics.

As for the amount of dragons killed, have you seen how many live Uniques are on Serenity just now? Low population means that there have probably been more killed on the Freedom cluster than Epic, it's only 4 servers, as opposed to 7 on the Freedom cluster, since every server got respawning of uniques at the same time, it's logical to conclude that Freedom has amassed way more hide than Epic, even if all the dragons still on Epic re killed next week we'll still be behind by 7:4, always.

Freedom gets plenty moonmetal, and crafted items from Chaos already, and you're assuming Epic has huge stockpiles of the stuff, sure, that's more likely on Elevation, but the homeservers only get a little seryll from Valrei mobs on occasion, I've got about 5kg stored away, and no weapons, armour or tools made of it.hardly riches.....

But, I take your point, and would actually be opposed to joining Epic to freedom the way Chaos has been, that's not the direction I want to see Epic going, not at all.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 5:13 PM, Lolabelle said:

Agreed. The game is too spread out now.  Was bad enough when they messed up JK Home and then at least we had Indy.  Then they just took and spread everyone out to all corners of the world.  You dont see anyone really wandering around you. On xanadu unless you are near a starter deed, I dont think you see anyone at all. 

Sad. Was nice was it was a bit cozier. 

Keenan and the other Devs that didn't play during these times should read this instead of just stating it's not up for discussion, an Indi sized map with 2- 350 can be a lively server and great experience, perhaps it got tight on room due to so much wasted space on tall cliffs, but getting back to some of that feeling would make the Wurm experience closer to the original vision, before all the server bloat and cash grabs.

If your dead set on closing discussions on bad PR and business moves motivated and infusing quick cash into the coffers that failed to either bring the numbers desired to warrant the servers or entertain any scenario to bring Wurm back to a player driven economy / world, then I can offer no help.

Trade channels and fancy chair art doesn't fix a game where most interaction is in on global channels, I can get that kind of interaction on Facebook.

Just my opinions on what I'd like to see done to Wurm Online's future to keep me in the game.  Little venting also...  lol  Wouldn't be Nicedreams without the venting.

Chaos seems to be the bastard red headed child of Wurm Online.  It's part of Freedom, but it's not really part of Freedom.  Chaos seems more like Epic except you can buy and sell gear between Chaos and rest of Freedom servers and a lot of real world money comes into play.  This is why I don't think any changes will ever be made to Chaos which is sad.

I don't play Chaos anymore because I'm tired of being owned and then if I get mad be told "If you want to compete on Chaos you need to buy a high level account like everyone else".  I'd rather level Nicedreams and I have most PvP related skills over 80, but still not enough.  The other sad side is you can't really play on Chaos in Plate.  If you wear plate into battle you are always the first target since plate sucks, but I'm not going to pay $80 to buy drake all the time like other people do.  It's cool if they want to, but not me.

Used to think I was going to have a heart attack when going to battle on Chaos which was exciting.  Now I just stand around waiting to play the sucker for the high level accounts with drake/scale.  Sucks when I stand toe to toe with someone like Eva just to glance every single hit and then get hit once and almost die.  No other options...boring.  With 85 medium maul and 85 fight skill I'd expect at least some type of fight between us.  -NOPE-  Probably because I'm in plate. :(

It's the exact same every fight.  That's why it's boring.  No beef with anyone, but sucks being in a video to hear "just leave the plate guys, they going to die anyways".  My attitude has been nonshelaunt about PvP after that so I don't go to Chaos anymore so I don't ruin someone else's experience.

So there is no balance in PvP at all.  It's all about 10+ year accounts ruling the place.  I play other MMO's in the past and can finally get better than my rivals even after 2 years of playing the MMO and then be on top after working very hard in the game.  Only strategy on Chaos to beat a higher level account is more people fighting the higher level account.  That's about it.

Thinking of trying Epic, but then again have to start at zero then if you get mad and ###### you'll hear the classic "If you want to compete on Epic you need to buy a high level account like everyone else".  Also Epic seems dead and not coming back to life.  Population of 12 (with alts) doesn't count as alive to me.  Epic seems like it would be a lot more fun though with more PvP land, uniques and doing missions that changes things on Freedom.

Chaos was my last attempt of staying in Wurm Online since I'm completely bored in this game.  Had fun at the beginning with a new PMK November 2016, but it has drastically changed like most things on Chaos.  Just not feeling it anymore.

Random teleporting around Xan has been my last only fun for weapon grinding, but hitting water tiles for 8 hours straight makes it no fun anymore.  Be nice if they fixed it to not teleport past your swimming to shore limit.  Not at the edge of the server of Xan.  Doubt those changes are in the works in the next few years.

I like the dev team and all and no issues with them at all.  They do awesome work for the limits they have, but I don't think their interest is in the little things I would care about.  I like going out and doing things in the game, not sitting in front of a forge for hours and hours and hours.

* What I'd like to see changed is have Chaos merge with Epic -OR- merge Epic with Chaos and the rest of Freedom so there are more PvP servers to mess around with.  Having 2 classes of PvP servers completely different from each other with very low population seems dumb to keep going and it doesn't appear will ever be consolidated or changed.

I prefer having Epic (merge Chaos) as the only PvP zone since it's not part of the Freedom rule-set meaning the devs can get more involved and make PvP more fun without changing the rest of the game for non-PvPers.  In forums always complaints about changes between Chaos and Freedom.  Take Freedom out of PvP rule-set and half the problem solved.

- I think my biggest issue is that I have to understand that Wurm Online is just a building game and I'm expecting too much from it. -

Edited by nicedreams
Grammar
  • Like 2

As usual I am not going to address the pvp part of the game here both because I have little interest in it nor knowledge about its fine points that might need adjustment. I leave all that to the pvp enthusiasts to address, as long as changes don't negatively effect the PvE side of the game.

I think one of the strong points of Wurm is that you can play for years, grow and shape your Village and it will always remain so (as long as the fees are paid). The game is really focused upon this Village aspect and most development centers around this as well; Village building, crafting items for it and the resulting Community this enhances and supports. With this in mind any shut down (destruction) of the various servers will destroy all Villages upon it that other players have built and focused their game play upon. Do this and you destroy a vital and alluring part of the game and the players who have enjoyed this as well, once they depart out of anger for their loss.

The idea proposed that eliminating (false=merge) servers will bring the player base closer together makes little sense since if they really wanted to be "closer" they would just all migrate to the same server. The evidence shows that this is not really desired by most but rather just a few who are more than willing to endorse the destruction of years of work of other players just to have their own way of *forcing* everyone to play on one server. The choice of offering others many PvE servers to play upon is clear as evidenced by the number of different ones that are populated. For Community gathering and interactions a much better option exists, which are portals to gathering points on different servers or even portals from every server to a central gathering point somewhere. The time consuming travel options within Wurm are more of what discourages "Community" than anything else and until that resistance is resolved the situation will remain much the same as it has always been.

Also, lets face the fact that Wurm Unlimited has drawn away a good number of WO players with its much greater variety in skill/action gains/timers, as well as many mods of convenience. Nothing can really be done about this as again player choice will remain the deciding factor. The only way WO can prosper is to build on its strong points, one of course being the stability and assurance that its various servers will continue on for years into the future, as long as Wurm Online survives.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2