Sign in to follow this  
agentusp

Wurm Online thoughts about where it's headed

Why would I pay someone to do the terraforming I want to do, theyll jsut do something Ill need to change later ;p And too much lag on Xanalag and too big, Id never deed there

1 hour ago, Rhianna said:

And too much lag on Xanalag and too big, Id never deed there

Well I assume that you never have to if you don't want. :)

What comes to Xanadu, many people who live there call the place home, like I do. I've lived most of my Wurmian time on Xanadu and I have no desire to move elsewhere. I have a great community around me, perfect place to work on, lots of wild land with hunting grounds... and no lag bothers me. I feel a bit annoyed by the fact that some people in this very thread are eager to shut down Xanadu. That would mean over 100 people's homes lost, or even more. Seems like people saying this aren't living on Xanadu and are just tossing the idea "let's destroy people's homes on large server just because" without thinking the effort we have put into this very server.

And the final word about wiping servers to attract more people to the game; there is no way that has a positive signal, when you realise that they have wiped it once, they might do it again. Even the new players are starting to fear for it, not willing to create the stuff they want to because of it. And I see it only to annoy current, active players and I would think very carefully, if I would continue this game after giving almost 4 years of effort, if it's all wiped. And as Dev's have said, this is impossible, which I'm glad about. :) 

• Like 2

People keep wanting to consolidate so people are in one place.  But I think most people don't want some one moving in next to them.  Basically one of those "not in my backyard" thing.  We want nuclear power but I don't want the plant any where near me.  Look at the deli thread for example.  One guy want to turn it into a oak forest where there are no deeds.  The people with deeds don't want the oak trees.  Others do t want other deeds near them.  Wile other people have trader deeds all over the server and claim those areas as their area that they don't want some one changing.  Then you see the let's close other servers down as long as it is t mine.  

• Like 5

Most costal spots that aren't giant mountains on Xanadu are taken or littered. No one is saying close Xanadu, at least I didn't take it that way. No one is saying wipe everything and leave people with nothing. 

One thing we could do is wipe Epic. The original intention was to have scenarios and wipes on a regular basis. Has that ever happened? I'm asking because I've been gone so long. I went to Epic when it first opened and was fully aware of the "this will all be wiped when the scenario is done" aspect. That was part of the allure. The constant freshness and rebuilding phases. I thought static PVP was meant for Chaos.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:51 AM, agentusp said:

Wurm Online: 2 maps, no tutorial map. just a home server, where everybody starts out,, and wild, where people cross over to step into the PvP world when ready.

No. The reason you can't bring yourself to play WO again is because you enjoyed it as a *new* experience of discovery and opportunity when you started playing it. It can Never be that to you again because now you are familiar with the game. You really don't care much for the content of it since if you did you would be playing it enthusiastically because of all the new things that have been added to it since you stopped playing it. Face up to it, Wurm is not the game for you, nor will it be changed to your liking since after that newness faded into the familiar you would once again have no further interest in it.

Farewell

=Ayes=

• Like 5

I also believe that closing servers would make more people leave than it would help to retain new players.

Wasn't there talk about adding errosion (terraformed, undeeded land slowly returning to a more natural state) last year? I am one of those who'd hate to deed a pre-terraformed spot and went to great length draining a marshland to get my own, untouched piece of coastal land. It would constantly "refresh" the servers so to speak.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eltaran said:

Wasn't there talk about adding errosion (terraformed, undeeded land slowly returning to a more natural state) last year? I am one of those who'd hate to deed a pre-terraformed spot and went to great length draining a marshland to get my own, untouched piece of coastal land. It would constantly "refresh" the servers so to speak.

This is what we need. Seems like it would appease people on both sides.

Given how much complaining there was about rift damage, I can't see that being a popular change.

Not only.that (when considering steep cliff roads) but also in the current attempts at optimisation, im no dev but it feels like checks on slopes across the entire server isnt going to be fun

12 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Not only.that (when considering steep cliff roads) but also in the current attempts at optimisation, im no dev but it feels like checks on slopes across the entire server isnt going to be fun

Official dev response:

mattsmithscreaminginternally.gif

• Like 8

“There is nothing impossible to him who will try.” – Alexander the Great :P

I currently live on Xanadu, have a great community in my alliance and plenty to do when I log in. I have lived on both Chaos and Epic, and enjoyed the PvP lifestyle immensely. I spent almost 4 years on Independence and still have friends there.

Closing servers is not the way forward, offering the players something different on them is. I am sure those that play on Celebration would just leave the game permanently if their server was shut down simply because it's one of the least populated in the PvE server cluster. Let's all put our heads together and try to come up with a solution to the playerbase issue.

23 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

Closing servers is not the way forward, offering the players something different on them is...

Let's all put our heads together and try to come up with a solution to the playerbase issue.

I'd like to see a new server or 2 separate from the rest of the clusters, like pristine /release USED TO BE.

I don't think an entire wipe is the answer, but the opportunity for new and old players alike to start fresh could be a compromise.

I didn't understand the need to combine pristine and release with the rest of the cluster. A decent amount of the people on these servers were alts aswell as new people. Once combined the income from alts declined because they could just move their main toons over, I know I did.

TLDR a new server or 2 separate from the rest of the cluster. 

• Like 2

I am not sure what impact combining all the freedom servers had aside from some minor negative economic impacts due to an influx of goods made at a higher quality, which I am sure had a low impact.

20 hours ago, Eltaran said:

I also believe that closing servers would make more people leave than it would help to retain new players.

I suggested something like that:

Erosion, even if just a timed thing, such as deed falls, 30 days later all buildings fall regardless of QL, 30 days after that the land is smoothed out. Perhaps it would only happen during a scheduled weekly update or something. I don't know the answer, I just know a lot of outer coastal land is junked up and would take a good bit of manual work to reconfigure to "natural" state. Seems like the compromise between not shutting servers down and not wanting to open a new server.

Plus, if this event on Xanadu is a success, more like it. Give people reason to move around and travel other than Impalongs. Sure, we make this game what we want it to be, but there is nothing wrong with the devs holding carrots out to lure us to travel around. Perhaps more mechanics for horse racing, dueling, or sports of some kind so players host their own events more often. I don't know. I will agree some of this falls back on us the players. This was just quick brainstorming.

• Like 2

The problem is what is natural.  Some of these lands with no hands touching them were not what many would consider natural.  Many uneven spots and drop offs and whatnot.  I can also see problems with the erosion.  What if this is an undeed area that someone is using.  How is the game going to know that?  What if that is someone's tree farm or who knows what.  

I think if you wish for an area to be changed, change it. 

• Like 6

The effects of erosion on deed vs off deed is a dangerous proposition. If houses fall 30 days after a deed falls, it would mean all houses fall 30 days later if not on deed. This is a problem.

Erosion shouldnt ever be tied to the deed mechanic. If people living off deed have to deal with erosion as well, what will happen when their walled off farm area starts to erode? Will they be forced to bash out their tall walls one by one in order to fix erosion every 30 days?

• Like 3

Surely  erosion would work like damage does; only off deed is affected.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎03 at 11:48 AM, FranktheTank said:

Frank do you even understand what those graphs represent.. don't look at the monthly tallies for the best indicator of Wurm population look to the top graph which shows a 5 minute slice accounting of population and read the averages.. they are almost all the same.. Wurm population is steady on average  is what those graphs represents and you can correlate the spikes shown in the graphs going to the bottom because of events inside and outside of Wurm hence spikes.. we are fine and it has been stated as so by staff.. but yes we are obviously not rising but we are not falling either..

edit then take the five minute average and compare I to this months average at the bottom thewy are basically the same hence we are doing better than some months and worse than some .. we are par for the course..

and I wasn't trying to be rude I just don't like undo concern created form incorrect assumptions.. when the facts portray the right story..

Edited by psisimian
  • Like 1

but the real reason for me here is to say.. I have already sold my main a long time ago nad decided to start on a new charcter.. I don't sell things for money and I don't make this a business and I would be neither sad nor happy about starting over and think it may bring some people back and even if it alienated a few those people are obviously not here for what maikes Wurm great whch is the community at large .. I come here to read the PVPers hate msgs and there arguemewnts.. I come here to see what rares Niki has created and hear her point ogf view.. I like to see hjow bloated the PVPers like msgs tallies are.. and other ep[ople as well I havent' mentioned I like the community and yes my old main was psalmon so I have only been around for a couple years.. so I am new when compared to some.. but I also have never been a big grinder.. I liker exploring and I build more for fun than out of necessity and the only skills I have ever grinded were fighting, and when I priested I grinded faith and whatever that oitehr one is that lets you cast spells.. anyhow I digress.. if a server restructuring was done I would support any and all comfigurations and woud happy to start with a fresh or keep and old charcter alive.. as people spend good money on good chgarcters and that has been ROlf's wish from the strat that there was reakl world value to the wurm assets we use .. notice how say use and not own.. but that's how I feel.. because I want Wurm to remain a good place for us all but am also willing to sacrifice for the greater good whatever that is decide \ to be.. and one other thing I am not alermed as said in my last msg.. yes there are a few us not here anymore.. and I wish there was some way to bring them back that wouldn't alienate new players or old players alike.. thanks for reading..

On 6/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, geode said:

One person? Just one? Even I could abuse that and take Kyrmius to Epic and hold one of them servers open ad infinitum (and I don't PvP). I could run around for months dying all over and still be considered "still playing". (and what do I accomplish in Wurm?)

Rolf and Staff might want to rethink that rule...

He didn't say they wouldn't open up NEW servers, only that they wouldn't shut any down.  so yeah, while you're doinking away on Old Epic, then perhaps, maybe, someday <knock on wood and toggle the bobblehead doll> they might make a new improved Epic where everyone else is playing.

This is why they won't close Epic. 

Just because people think no one plays there it doesn't mean its dead. I am having loads of fun in Epic.

• Like 2