So. There are special tiles on water where you can catch different sorts of fish. But there would be very different uses for it as well. Buoys, which are built with planks, tar, and a Mooring Anchor (Thick rope, lead anchor) Cheaper generally to build then a boat and mooring it, its only purpose is to be planted down where you want it, and you can give it whatever name you want, and dye it different colors. 

People could use them to mark dangerous spots (A place where the rock bottom is high, and deeper vessels might ground themselves, special fishing tiles, named buoys to give waypoints to people for finding harder to find places)...

Basically, it would give an alternative to building a rowboat and mooring it in the middle of a body of water. It would look more elegant to rowboats, as you would see a small buoy floating about, ominously ...

Some more advanced versions of them could also include lamps, so people can put floating lamps around their docking area. Of course, it has to be a lamp, not a torch, because you don't want to set fire to it. 

It could change the look on seas quite a bit, and I am sure people would find alternative uses of those!

• Like 6

obvious +1, like all buoys related suggestions.

I was so frustrated with having to mark my special fishing spot with a dedicated boat...why didn't I think of this. Big +1

While on an adventure i found horse barding and coc fishing rods deep underwater by chance and thought people accidentally dropped them and lost them, so we took it. I picked it up and was excited to have something new to fish with... Then found out after some critical thinking i just ruined a special fish tile and felt really guilty.

+1

Always up for buoys; though, a distinct lack of barrels in this one.

+1 from me - speedboat races, anyone? :)