Sign in to follow this  
Erevorn

How do YOU hide your Wurm at work?

17 hours ago, Warlander said:

I am not playing Wurm, I am debugging it. :)

Sacrifices must be made for the greater good, and by sacrifice I mean you and by greater good, I mean our enjoyment. ;)

On 6/14/2017 at 4:45 PM, As_I_Decay said:

Maybe i'm just old school but my boss(es) are paying me to do work, not play video games.

I know i'm the idiot, though. I'm the one working while everyone else on the payroll is dicking around on their cellphones all day.

It is far from dicking off for me. I work in IT as an engineer. There is a lot of "hurry up and wait" on things to install, server reboots that can take 10 minutes, scripts to finish, etc. So it isn't out of the question for me to reach over and click, click, click. Don't act like Wurm is this insane WASD active game. I applaud anyone that can "get paid" to make bricks... lol

2 hours ago, Revnik said:

It is far from dicking off for me. I work in IT as an engineer. There is a lot of "hurry up and wait" on things to install, server reboots that can take 10 minutes, scripts to finish, etc. So it isn't out of the question for me to reach over and click, click, click. Don't act like Wurm is this insane WASD active game. I applaud anyone that can "get paid" to make bricks... lol

In certain employment instances, I can completely understand utilizing your "down time" to do personal tasks (i.e. play games). Your profession is a good example of being able to do that and there are plenty of other examples in which it's completely acceptable. For instance, 20 years ago, a friend of mine was employed with a towing company and worked the 3rd shift. When he wasn't taking calls, or driving a wrecker, he had a "lounge" at the office that provided him with TV, movies, a couch to nap on, video game consoles, etc. Another good example would be my brother-in-law, who works for a call-in center of a retail store. If he's not getting phone calls, he can read, use his phone, etc.

However, all jobs are not the same. Many places of employment don't have employee downtime, as there's always work to be done. This is where I disagree with your viewpoint that "any person(s) that can get paid to make bricks should be applauded". Sorry, I won't applaud the worker at the convenience store or the coffee shop that can't bother to ring me up because they are too busy on their phone... which is such a common occurrence these days. I've worked in (and managed) both food service and retail, both "professions" leave no down time. Bored? I can find you plenty of stuff to do (that you're supposed to be doing).

Currently, I do contracting work. Building, renovation, etc. I see plenty of guys "disappearing" to go play around on their phones every 15 minutes (probably checking facebook). I won't applaud them, either. Contractual construction work is a lot like repairing cars: you quote a price (estimate) and that's pretty much what the pay-out is, regardless of the time that you, the contractor, put in. So, obviously, when employed in that type of field, you want to bang out a job as fast as possible to make the most money. If the other guys quit their phone nonsense and focused on the task at hand, we could probably get paid out for doing 4 roofs in a week, versus 3. It's the same amount of hours invested, yet more money for everyone. 

Besides, the title of this thread was "How do you hide Wurm at work?", which alludes to the notion that one is not supposed to be Wurming. This is completely different from your situation, where you have been given the okay to do so.

(Now, I know I've used cellphones as the basis of my argument and not Wurm. It doesn't really matter, though. Same outcome.)

Edited by As_I_Decay

OK, Apples and oranges. I completely agree with you. I meant desk jockeys who can hide a window and click click click while working on a spreadsheet or something. Of course I didn't mean jobs where you do customer service, construction, driving, etc. No disagreements from me on that one. Yes, it is wrong and none of us should be doing it, but wurm is a passive game. I can "play" for 8 hours and my character can never move his feet. 

My current job means being "available" for a small part and shoving papers and documents from place to place for the most part. Nothing stops me from "click click click click" pottery bricking in the meantime.

I think this is meant to be a humor thread, not a dissection of morality on playing at work. Take your srs bzniz elsewhere.

For my part, I used to work the graveyard shift answering calls at my port. I would get maybe 3 calls on a busy night. So I took a laptop to work and played videogames the rest. 

80 bucks an hour for playing games. Cant beat that!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

For my part, I used to work the graveyard shift answering calls at my port. I would get maybe 3 calls on a busy night. So I took a laptop to work and played videogames the rest. 

Why did people call your graveyard? 

Were they looking for reservations?

And more importantly... Do you think it was a dead end job?

• Like 1

Because Mich killed all our horses. I had to spend a lot of time burrying them. Sheer Pandemonium looks like a graveyard now.

Speaking of burying things I may have just found a way to bury anything on a PC B)

Adult Depends for truly l33t gamers.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:28 AM, Erevorn said:

Why did people call your graveyard? 

Were they looking for reservations?

And more importantly... Do you think it was a dead end job?

Hahahaha this totally struck me as hilarious.  :lol:

I appreciate your sense of humour.  

Edited by Batta

ok. but can you play on a tablet yet?  i was able to get runescape to work . but not wurm yet

On 7/18/2017 at 4:10 AM, validate said:

ok. but can you play on a tablet yet?  i was able to get runescape to work . but not wurm yet

iPad/Android = Splashtop

Surface Pro = Yes, just lower settings on most models.